Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Car and Truck Care Products and Techniques

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts

Car and Truck Care Products and Techniques

I have been going to start a thread for tips and tricks and favorite products for keeping your vehicles, and Deere equipment, looking their best. A discussion in the GM thread this morning spurred me on. Tell us what you do and use.......
    glc, Gizmo2, North585 and 8 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    My father and grandfather were both mechanically handy and thankful for everything they earned and owned. Both took pride in their vehicles. It wasn't uncommon to spend a whole day washing and waxing a vehicle back in the day. My grandfather used to say "It's easier to keep a clean vehicle clean."

We'd wash and dry the cars in the shade and then take them around the house, park under a large maple tree and wax them with Butcher's floor wax. You want to talk about a workout! We'd rub that stuff on one panel at a time and wait for it to dry. Then use a diaper sprinkled with cornstarch to remove and polish the paint!

So since my first vehicle that also happened to be my grandfather's '57 Chevy that I inherited, I've always kept his good advice in mind and stayed after my vehicles. Of course over the years I've enjoyed the benefits of newer products that were much more user friendly.

I've graduated to the spray-on paint protection sealants and now use the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax as previously mentioned. It resists water and debris doesn't adhere to the paint and as my grandfather said, "It's easier to keep a clean vehicle clean!"
    glc, North585, DRobinson and 6 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-24-2019), Jeff B (02-24-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Good thread CP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-24-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    Thanks Frank.

I have similar memories of my weekends as a kid helping my dad. His vehicles are still always clean. I agree with “keeping a clean car clean” advice, it really is easier.

I have always used paste waxes, but the time it takes is my biggest enemy now. I am definitely going to give your recommendation a shot. Recently, I have been seeing a lot of advertising here locally for the ceramic coatings. The sprays must be the “in” thing. I have found the spray bug and tar removers to be better than the old chalky liquid rub on stuff.

With two new cars, I bought a car “duster” recently off Amazon. That has worked well on the dash and other areas. Again, it seems if you keep after it, the surfaces maintain their natural shine longer. This helps to not have to spray Armor All (don’t really like that stuff) or similar product on everything.

My goal someday, either at this house or the next, is the be able to spritz the cars off in the garage, especially in the winter.
    DRobinson, OxPath, ErikR and 2 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post

My goal someday, either at this house or the next, is the be able to spritz the cars off in the garage, especially in the winter.
    Jamie,

I have a sillcock in my heated-side garage that was setup with hot & cold mixing valves in the basement. I have them set so that I can use warm water in the winter to rinse the sludge from the vehicles. The warm water just seems to do a better job of loosening and rinsing the sand, salt and dirt away. Maybe something to keep in mind for down the road.
    glc, North585, ColonyPark and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-25-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Ive always kept everything clean, from cars/trucks to tractors, zero turns, even push mowers.
    They all get washed and waxed.
    Im a BIG fan of Megiuars products. They have been doing it a long time, and their products produce good to outstanding results depending on what you are doing and how you do it.
    I prefer to wax inside a building or under a cover of some type.
    For a quick clean up where just light dust or whatever is present, I will also use Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish. Its great for quick clean ups, and leaves a great finish. Used with GOOD microfiber towels, it wont scratch anything and works better than any other similar product Ive tried.

Inside vehicles, Ive found, after nearly 30 years trying different things, that doing a really good cleaning inside a vehicle can be done very simply with an old washcloth, a bucket of water, and a lint free towel. Wet and wring out washcloth, wipe off whatever, and dry with the towel, then move to a different surface. Works excellent for dashes, consoles, door sills, etc. Once done, I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer.
    There is nothing I despise more inside a car than that greasy glossy crap dealers and some others seem to enjoy slathering all over the inside of an otherwise nice vehicle.

One of these days Ill get an orbital polisher too, as it makes adding sealer or wax or what have you much easier and also makes paint correction a lot easier with regard to having a swirl free finish.
    Im still surprised by the number of people who dont understand that its not a good idea to wipe a dusty finish with their hand or a towel while not using a product made for that purpose.
    It WILL leave very fine scratches in the surface.
    I constantly have to ask my neighbor not to do that around my tractor.
    He is forever putting his hands on it and touching this or that.

My thought on keeping things clean and looking good is two fold (maybe more if I really think about it), one, obviously, it looks nice most of the time.
    Two, it will keep the resale higher. Sure you can clean it up eventually when you want to sell, but all that crud sitting there for so long will have a negative effect on the overall look of it after its finally cleaned. My dealer has seen my tractor several times, and other equipment, and they always comment on how nice it always looks, and how that just adds value down the road.
    One other thing, it makes them a lot nicer to work on too when the time comes.

Besides vehicles, I also make sure all my tools are clean before they get put away too.
    I dont mind getting dirty, but there is no need to get dirty unless its absolutely necessary.

While I personally like Meguairs for a host of reasons, there are several other brands out there that will serve you just as well. A lot of it is personal preference and what you intend to accomplish.
    glc, DRobinson, ColonyPark and 6 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Over the years I have used every type and brand of polish and wax you can think of. About 10 or so years ago, synthetic waxes became the craze. They lasted much longer than ordinary wax. Carnuba wax will generate the deepest shine, but they just don't last that long. Being that almost all finishes are clear coat anyways, they have enough shine and depth as it is. The newer sealants do a much better job protecting the finish. I have been using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant for a out 8 years now. Starting with a good, clean contaminant free surface is the key.

Once a year, I will hand wash and dry my car, polish it by machine and then seal it with Wolfgang sealant. It takes the whole afternoon to do the job, but, once and done for the year. The sealant portion of the process only takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do the whole car. It's by far the easiest and longest lasting paint protectant I have ever used. I also use some sort of spray detailer occasionally after going thru the automatic car washes. I haven't done either vehicle for a little over a year and they still bead water. They'll get their annual this spring.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant provides polymer paint sealant protection and a carnauba-like shine. Synthetic car wax, liquid car wax sealant, polymer sealant, car care products, detailing supplies
    Last edited by jdforever; 02-24-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I've kind of upped my game the last few years. I used to use dish soap, a sponge and old bath towels...

But since getting a black truck and a Corvette I've rethought my approach. I use a real car wash soap, two buckets, and a micro fiber wash mitt. I dry with micro fiber towels. I've been buying a lot of car care products from chemicalguys.com. I like their soaps, clay bar lube, after wash drying spray, towels, wheel cleaner, air fresheners, tools, and waxes.

I want to try a foam cannon and a random orbital polisher this year.

I found some old, but very solid, kitchen cabinets at a thrift store and mounted them in my garage. When I open the cabinet doors it looks like a detail shop...

Except the rest of the garage is a mess..
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Jamie,

I have a sillcock in my heated-side garage that was setup with hot & cold mixing valves in the basement. I have them set so that I can use warm water in the winter to rinse the sludge from the vehicles. The warm water just seems to do a better job of loosening and rinsing the sand, salt and dirt away. Maybe something to keep in mind for down the road.
    I don't have such a facility but yesterday when I did wash my terribly dirty truck I filled my bucket in the house with hot water. Made a big difference with getting all the sand/salt mess off.

------------

I could write a book on this subject but will try to summarize....

I am OCD about keeping my truck clean. But it's about impossible where I live for a good 6 months of the year. They use a 50/50 mix of salt/anti skid which turns into brown glue. It sticks to everything. The roads stay dirty until Memorial Day after a few good downpours.

My other issue is the last 5 years or so having RA. Washing and especially waxing just kills me. I usually do a full detail in the spring and fall - it will take me 3-4 days to do it in segments. This is why when Frank suggested the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax I was intrigued - can't wait to try it this spring.

I am copying the links he posted in another thread for reference -

https://www.pointsupplies.com/produc...14094705950829

Jeff R., OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-25-2019)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    I use Murphy's oils soap in warm water for interior work
    Invisible Glass (Stoner's) for the glass, with an occasional rubbing of Bon Ami powder on the exterior front window to take out any evidence of wiper wear. This cleanser is really great, you almost don't need wipers in the rain after a good polishing. I used to use Rainex but stopped a long time ago, a really clean window works nearly as well and once you get wiper marks in a Rainex'd windshield it's a pain to get out (my experience).
    Westley's Bleach White on the tires and nothing after, I hate shiny tires.
    For many years now I have been using Turtle Wax Ice for protection.
    Looks like an oil, goes on fast, comes off easy and you can put it on everything which makes intricate grills, emblems and rubber bumper pads look like new.
    I have still preferred Turtle Wax chrome cleaner over the newer spray on products.
    I'm going to have to try out this new Meguires product for sure, but just everybody remember to polish or clay bar before using this type of sealing product on a vehicle that has been in the elements for a while.
    Most of these incredible new polymers and such that are being marketed today are not the old fashioned "cleaner waxes" that combined polishing and sealing in the same step.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast