Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: New Lamar Tilt Deck Trailer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks

New Lamar Tilt Deck Trailer

Well, after 11 yrs and a lot of sole searching, I bought a new trailer on Fri and released the old gooseneck. It was a tough one as over the years, I had roughly $17k in the oldie with all of the mods and work that had been done. Here is a photo of it with the 2038R. Used trailers dont go for much these days just so you know.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1855 (2).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	782.3 KB 
ID:	683458

But after using the new Lamar manual tilt deck for the first time, it was all worth it for the ease of use. Lamar is 20ft with 16.5ft of manual tilt and 3.5 foot of fixed. Has 7k Dexter torsion axles for just under 10K of hauling weight with the trailer weighing in at just under 4k itself. No ramps, no hassles. Pulls and rides very nicely. Its amazing that it weighs almost the same and hauls almost the same but that new Lamar is a way better option for me as I am getting older and lazier.... It will need a few things, tool box and rhino liner on the rear deck plate/ramp(area behind front tractor wheels) as its very slick when wet but nothing else.

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	683444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	683446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2898.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	990.6 KB 
ID:	683448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	946.1 KB 
ID:	683450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	873.9 KB 
ID:	683452

I really wanted this aluminum 20 ft full deck hydraulic tilt but at almost $11k, it was WAY too much $$$$. It was a sweet trailer though by H&H !! I also looked at a full deck 20ft PJ Trailer hydraulic steel/wood but with how little I use it, these hydraulic would require more maintenance long term.

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	683454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	683456
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 21 others like this.
    2017 JD 2038R, 220R Loader Heavy Bucket, Single Point Hydro
    60" MMM w/ Mulching Kit, JD iMatch, Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar,
    Custom Deck Dolly, Titan Forks, Strongway Plug Aerator,
    ECHO 58V Trimmer, Blower & Chainsaw, Ford F250,
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, 92 American Skier, 18 Lamar Tilt
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fjjd18 For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (04-28-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,955 Times in 2,915 Posts
    A real nice trailer.
    ChrisR, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    That's a dandy! The tilt-deck appears to be hydraulic dampened? Does that make the transition from tilted to flat go pretty smooth?
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 1 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Fantastic looking trailer! I'm looking for something similar myself as the Big Tex 16'er I have is a bit short for the 3720 and implements, plus I really want a tilt-deck.

Can you detail your decision to go with a bumper pull after having the goose? Seems most guys go the other way?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    That's a dandy! The tilt-deck appears to be hydraulic dampened? Does that make the transition from tilted to flat go pretty smooth?
    Yes, it is dampened with that hydraulic shock. It has a quarter turn valve that you can adjust some to control the how fast it tilts. It also will shut the tilt off completely. It is not the best adjustment but it does work.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Are those Aluminum wheels? Or Chrome steel wheels? Hard for me to tell in the pictures.

I would check the tire weight rating. My 14K trailer came with tires rated 3054 lbs, which times 4 did not make 14K lbs.

I have a 2005 Load Trail hydraulic tilt trailer, 14K, 16' tilt & 4' fixed IIRC.

The two things I do not like: are that it's all up hill when loading. I had to bolt cross bars to the diamond plate tail to get better traction loading. I also have t use 4wd for controlled loading. If I ever replace it, I think I'll get one with fold up ramps but it might be cheaper to add a winch.

The other thing I do not like, is they used "scotch locks" for all the wiring splices, a cheap way to do it. I have had to replace most, if not all of them.

Mine also had the trailer plug wired wrong. Might have been just mine. The wire for charging the hydraulics battery was wired to the reverse lights of the plug on my tow vehicle. I was working 2nd shift. I picked the trailer up on the way to work. I bought it home after my shift ended. Next morning I tried to show off the tilt, nothing, battery dead. I charged the battery and as it was charging, I saw the backup lights were "ON" on my tow vehicle. I am guessing the backup lights were ON until the battery died while I was at work.
    Gizmo2, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Fantastic looking trailer! I'm looking for something similar myself as the Big Tex 16'er I have is a bit short for the 3720 and implements, plus I really want a tilt-deck.

Can you detail your decision to go with a bumper pull after having the goose? Seems most guys go the other way?

Here is the long answer.........

I really enjoyed having the gooseneck and when fully loaded, it was a dream to pull. But with just a small partial load(tractor lets say), it was very bouncy even if you had the load right were it needed to be because of the "flex" in the trailer. A lot of the newer goosenecks have the wheels further back putting more weight in the bed of the truck due to higher hauling capacities which helps with the "flex". Over all length of old trailer was 34ft.(23 deck, 2 ft dove, 9ft neck). A lot of wind drag when pulling due to neck and ramps. New trailer 26ft total length (4ft tounge, 20ft deck, 2 ft dove). Only 3 less feet of usable deck space but it saves me 8 ft of driveway space.

Dealing with the ramps(folding, unfolding, sliding, positioning correctly, etc) became a chore. However, the main kicker for me was hooking it up. Back many yrs ago when I used it a lot, it was routine to hook it up. Most of the time it lined up and put the neck right over the ball the first time. But in the last 5 yrs with very little use, it would take me 10 min to line it up. In and out of the truck 5-7 times. Then climbing in and out of the bed to latch and hook chains up plus turn over the ball added another 10 or so min. (Toyed with the idea of getting a wireless camera that I could stick on my tool box but it never happened).

So now, with the factory installed back up camera, I can line it up and hook it up in less than 5 mins. No climbing in and out of truck or truck bed. Pull 2 pins and tilt deck, drive on/off and put pins back in, lock tilt. Strap/Unstrap and go. Much easier and simple

And I will say Big Tex has a manual tilt deck trailer that I looked at online as well (PJ Trailers are owned by Big Tex) but I did not go and look at it in person. The Big Tex does say its about 500lbs lighter than mine so that is an advantage. All have roughly 11-12 degrees of tilt. If I was going to use it all of the time, I would have gone with the full hydraulic tilt deck that all 3 companies have which creates a full 20ft of usable deck space while tilted.

Other big advantage to Lamar for me that I found was fender height. Over all trailer deck is 6 inches higher than PJ and Big Tex due to those trailers running DROP torsion axles. But because of that, it made the removable fenders almost mandatory if you loaded a car as there is 15 inches of fender hieght. My Lamar trailer only has 9 inches of fender thus no real need to ever remove the fender. Again, less work to load and unload.

And finally, I really liked the small marker LED's on my trailer as opposed to the larger LED marker lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2917.jpg   IMG_2915.jpg   IMG_2916.jpg  
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 2 others like this.
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fjjd18 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (04-28-2019)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Are those Aluminum wheels? Or Chrome steel wheels? Hard for me to tell in the pictures.

I would check the tire weight rating. My 14K trailer came with tires rated 3054 lbs, which times 4 did not make 14K lbs.

I have a 2005 Load Trail hydraulic tilt trailer, 14K, 16' tilt & 4' fixed IIRC.

The two things I do not like: are that it's all up hill when loading. I had to bolt cross bars to the diamond plate tail to get better traction loading. I also have t use 4wd for controlled loading. If I ever replace it, I think I'll get one with fold up ramps but it might be cheaper to add a winch.

The other thing I do not like, is they used "scotch locks" for all the wiring splices, a cheap way to do it. I have had to replace most, if not all of them.

Mine also had the trailer plug wired wrong. Might have been just mine. The wire for charging the hydraulics battery was wired to the reverse lights of the plug on my tow vehicle. I was working 2nd shift. I picked the trailer up on the way to work. I bought it home after my shift ended. Next morning I tried to show off the tilt, nothing, battery dead. I charged the battery and as it was charging, I saw the backup lights were "ON" on my tow vehicle. I am guessing the backup lights were ON until the battery died while I was at work.

They are just the painted steel wheels. Tires are Load range E roughly the same rating as yours. I had the same tires on my old gooseneck which was a 14k rated trailer(10K of load) and I ran it fully loaded a lot without any tire issues. Ended up replacing them due to tire-rot not tead wear or damage from full loads.

And mine is a manual tilt, no power needed. It just has a hydraulic damper to "control" the tilt speed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2918.jpg   IMG_2920.jpg  
    mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    Deck Trailer

Brendan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fjjd18 For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (04-28-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post

That has always been one of my "deal breakers" with any brand of trailer which uses Scotch Locks. Same with any brand which routes wiring through the rough cut frame or structure holes without grommets. Such things are assured to cause a problem and many people simply can't deal with chasing down bad electrical connections, etc. So what often (but not always) happens? People pull trailers with partially or even non functioning lights, which is a major safety issue for the public at large, especially with today's distracted drivers........

When I would consider new brands of trailers for my dealership, few things would rule them out faster than Scotch locks........also, for years, many trailers were using used tires to keep the cost down, which was also a deal killer for me. Another issue is also another thing you found on your trailer, the tires not meeting the designed trailer weight rating. You would think that the manufacturer of trailers would not want to put tires on a trailer which don't match it's capacity, but that was also a common thing by some companies.

The good news is 8 out of 10 trailer makers do a decent job, assuming of course you don't buy your trailer at a big box store from people who know nothing about what they sell..................(nor do most care).........

So, how much snow did you get last night into this morning? We ended up with about 7" of wet heavy snow when it stopped snowing late last night and still had about 4" left by 8am today, all gone by noon..........
    mjncad, Gizmo2, OxPath and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    I see that there is what appears to be a second hydraulic cylinder in series with the tilt cylinder. Is it a component with the ability to adjust the tilt speed?

Dave
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System