Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scoobysmak

Thread: Looking for a gooseneck trailer to haul 10k+

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 01:58 AM
    Thanks

Looking for a gooseneck trailer to haul 10k+

Like the title states I would need to haul around 11k on occasion. My cutoff limit for a bumper pull is the weight of my truck, 7k, so it's going to be a gooseneck (bad experience in the past, I learned my lesson but totally avoiding another "OOPS-cidnet"). At times I will need to rent or borrow equipment and looking at what I will need the normal weight seems to be from 7k to 11k. I also will use this to haul a show car that has a low ground clearance most of the time.

I will probably have to get a full deck over due to at least one piece of equipment is 86" wide. I see some trailer makers have "low profile" full decks, I would prefer this option but quality to me is more important. My other question is getting ramps or some sort of tilt deck. The tilt deck seems really nice but the tilt section needs to be 20 ft long, most tilts seem to be 16 ft long. I am looking around 24-28 ft on the deck to haul everything I might need to, for a vehicle this would be overkill though.

I just don't feel like having 15 trailers sitting in the yard. I have looked at the following brands but not sure which direction to go, you will find the internet full of bad and good reviews on most anything these days. I would love to have air ride and disc brakes but these options are probably more than I need. i would probably get a wooden deck for equipment and loading purposes.

Brands I have seen online, some may not offer all the things I would like but quality to me is more important (in no particular order):

Kaufman (has a full tilt deck but not sure if it would handle a low ground clearance)
    Gatormade (like some of the features factory but the powder coat paint has gotten several bad reviews)
    Diamond C
    Mortiz
    Lamar
    Big Tex
    Delta
    Top Hat
    Iron Bull
    PJ trailers
    Load Trail
    Quality Trailers
    MaxxD (full tilt option)
    Sure Pull
    B and B

Feel free to name any I missed.

I see several people saying there trailer is works great and would buy another trailer from the same manufacturer again. This thread might be more of a "stay away from this brand" warning. Even a good brand trailer will have a few problems but overall looking for a good quality trailer out of the box. I do not have time to waste rewiring a trailer or trying to get a new paint job. Price is not my first priority but it can't be made of gold either, buy once cry once deal. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by scoobysmak; 05-04-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    2015 1025R - H120 FEL/49" bucket - 60D MMM/hydraulic lift - RC2048 - BB5048 - Artillian forks/36"
    Imatch hitch - Kens bolt on hooks - BXpanded piranha tooth bar
    Single point - manual independant MMM lift

Power beyond kit - planning to install at 50 hour service

Later options and dreams:
    KK 48" tiller - PHD100/PHA009 - 260 Backhoe/12" bucket - Woodmaxx TM-86H - Agrex XL300 spreader - ETA V2 48" lawn plugger - Harley rake TM-4 - 5 1/2' Farm Maxx sickle bar mower - Cole MX12 planter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Went through 3 trailers, before getting the gooseneck as I decided to go all out and not have to get another trailer. The down side is having to haul a 31ft trailer for something that might only be 10ft. If I can't fit it on a 31ft trailer, then I probably don't need it. The low profile trailer would have been nice, but not in my budget at the time. I don't believe those few inches will make that much difference. I can tell you this, the first time you come down off that trailer, you will be thinking "what was I thinking when I bought this trailer" as it will seem like you are coming down off a mountain. I think you will find that the standard ramps will not have the slope that you want for unloading a low clearance vehicle. Mine has a 5ft dovetail and 5ft ramps. Just not enough in my mind. I would suggest you try them out before buying. Mine is a tandem dually, but if I was doing it over again, I believe I might go for a triple axle with single wheels as it might not be as heavy and buying 6 tires is cheaper than buying 8 tires. I believe it is just a little lower to the ground than a dually.

Now we get down to weight. My trailer weighs 7300# with a max GVW of 25,000#. I am licensed out to 24,000#GCVW to hopefully keep me from CDL territory. There is a lot of confusion over that and probably varies from state to state. Some Highway Patrol people will look at you pretty hard just because the trailer is a tandem dually. With my empty weight at 14,000#(pickup & trailer), that only leaves me with a hauling capacity of 10,000#. So there is a lot to consider here. Even with a trailer GVW of 25,000# my actual hauling capacity is nowhere near that. And I have not even got into the tow vehicle capacity. I was unable to come up with an empty weight of a comparable triple axle trailer for comparison but I did find a full tilt tandem dually that might be your best choice for loading the low clearance vehicle. https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/td-tandem-dual-tilt

BTW, hauling with a gooseneck trailer is sure a lot easier on the nerves, so in my opinion, you are on the right track there.

Dave
    Last edited by ddinham; 05-04-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Thanks
    you only say 10k+ but the plus can get really big -dual tandems etc

This is what I just got - works well - FINALLY - 4044R arrives

Gatormade is semi local to me, but it came down to them or Big Tex.

Like most things it came down to having a dealer semi close and it wasn't the cheapest by far, but I am happy with it so far.

Only thing I would suggest is whatever manufacturer, get the big wide ramps
    Charleston, SC
    4044R

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 01:58 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I should have included I have a CDL, not for work anymore but managed to keep it. I have another enclosed trailer that I will probably sell, 36ft on the deck (44ft total). The cops have looked at my funny once or twice but when I say it for personal use they usually leave me alone.
    69project likes this.
    2015 1025R - H120 FEL/49" bucket - 60D MMM/hydraulic lift - RC2048 - BB5048 - Artillian forks/36"
    Imatch hitch - Kens bolt on hooks - BXpanded piranha tooth bar
    Single point - manual independant MMM lift

Power beyond kit - planning to install at 50 hour service

Later options and dreams:
    KK 48" tiller - PHD100/PHA009 - 260 Backhoe/12" bucket - Woodmaxx TM-86H - Agrex XL300 spreader - ETA V2 48" lawn plugger - Harley rake TM-4 - 5 1/2' Farm Maxx sickle bar mower - Cole MX12 planter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Thanks
    I am in a similar situation...

currently have a PJ T6 21' tilt 17/4 ..14k torque flex drop axles....83" between fenders bumper pull..... a fantastic trailer in all reguards cant praise it enough

I need 10ton capacity and full width sometimes....i am going to look at some options but this one is intresting to me and i have one used local i am going to try to look at this coming week.... econoline cg1025te ..10ton...GN ..tripple axle 3/7s ...tilt deck over...21' tilt...4' fixed... link to 9ton version 9-Ton Tri-Axle Deckover Gooseneck Tilt CG0925TE - Econoline Trailers - Equipment, Tilt, Gooseneck Trailers

i would also appreciate experienced thoughts

sold my dump truck and lowboy trailer i used to use to move heavyer equipment ....the above i think would handle everything but my dozer and i could hire it moved should i ever need to move it at 30k ......everything else is under 15k#s and i really have no plans of ever moving equipment but would like the option if needed
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-04-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements