Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Another towing question.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Another towing question.

So I知 thinking of getting a new trailer to haul my son痴 cub and wagon to shows. Total weight is about 2600 pounds or so of equipment.

My truck is rated to two 5700 pounds. And after towing 2500 pounds I think it would do it but not be really happy about it. Fortunately I知 looking at towing things less than 20 miles and on fairly flat ground.
    Move got the 4.2L with a 3.55 rear. Looks like GCVW is 10000 pounds.

No I知 at the mindset that if I知 going to buy something I want to buy it once and be done. I found this trailer which would do just about all of my towing needs.

2019 Sure-Trac 7x20 Tube Top Utility Landscape Trailer 9900# GVW * PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPE SERIES * HD GATE UPGRADE | Best Choice Trailers Harrisburg Area

My question is since the trailer has a GVW of 9900 pounds and my truck is only rated at 5700 pounds as long as I keep it loaded to under 5700 pounds am I ok from a legal standpoint?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    So I知 thinking of getting a new trailer to haul my son痴 cub and wagon to shows. Total weight is about 2600 pounds or so of equipment.

My truck is rated to two 5700 pounds. And after towing 2500 pounds I think it would do it but not be really happy about it. Fortunately I知 looking at towing things less than 20 miles and on fairly flat ground.

No I知 at the mindset that if I知 going to buy something I want to buy it once and be done. I found this trailer which would do just about all of my towing needs.

My question is since the trailer has a GVW of 9900 pounds and my truck is only rated at 5700 pounds as long as I keep it loaded to under 5700 pounds am I ok from a legal standpoint?

Thanks
    Yes.

You値l just have to watch your hitch weight - easy enough to do by moving the load a little forward or back.
    rtgt, Jep, Treefarmer and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks

Sure. You just have to keep in mind that the trailer itself weighs 2530 lbs.

With your 5700 lbs towing capacity minus the 2530 lbs that the trailer weighs, you are limited to loading 3170 lbs of "stuff" on it when towing with your vehicle. You'd be fine if your 2600 lb number is accurate.
    rtgt, BigJim55, sennister and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    So I’m thinking of getting a new trailer to haul my son’s cub and wagon to shows. Total weight is about 2600 pounds or so of equipment.

My truck is rated to two 5700 pounds. And after towing 2500 pounds I think it would do it but not be really happy about it. Fortunately I’m looking at towing things less than 20 miles and on fairly flat ground.

No I’m at the mindset that if I’m going to buy something I want to buy it once and be done. I found this trailer which would do just about all of my towing needs.

2019 Sure-Trac 7x20 Tube Top Utility Landscape Trailer 9900# GVW * PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPE SERIES * HD GATE UPGRADE | Best Choice Trailers Harrisburg Area

Thanks

I don't think you will have a problem with axle overloading. Now the big question: what is the GVWR of the tow vehicle. You dodged a bullet with the trailer GVWR of less than 10,000#. I suspect your pickup is way less than 10,000#, so you should miss the 26,000# max GCWR that could be a problem. I see no problems except that fully loaded, that 4.2L will struggle. Remember to lock out OD. I towed my 1025R and loader on a 20ft aluminum trailer that weighed 1500# empty with my 93 F150 and 302 engine, but it was a struggle. I now have a 2012 Escape with the 4.0L double overhead cam V6 with a lot more HP. I would not even think of trying to tow that same load with it as it has no low end torque at all. But, wow, does it run out to 6500RPM quick.

One other thing I might add. That drop down end gate will require more HP to tow as it catches a lot of wind. I had a 5x10 before the 20ft with that end gate and it was hard to tow at highway speeds.

Dave
    Last edited by ddinham; 06-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,082 Posts
    One other thing I might add. That drop down end gate will require more HP to tow as it catches a lot of wind. I had a 5x10 before the 20ft with that end gate and it was hard to tow at highway speeds.

Dave
    yelp-i 100% agree the gate is a big sail going down the road. thought that when i first bought my land scrapper trailer back in 02. first run on Interstate I-70 coming home. never had it on a 4 lane road since-myself-loaned it out for a run to Atlanta, Georgia. oh.
    well i have had it for a spell on a 4 lane road towed gator home with on one and had been back now a couple of times too. at least the gator sat high enough i didn't seem to notice no hold back with it on.

i love the gate oh for easy loading--no guessing as to where to place the ramps but i will say the car hauler we bought last yr--does pull way easier up and down the road-no sail on itas the ramps are tucked underneath it. better gas mileage with it for sure.

i want a tilt deck for my next trailer-i just think that would be the cats --- for ease of loading and unloading-IMOBUT THEY ARE MORE
    rtgt and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    On my landscape trailer with the ramp, I had a 2 piece strap that allowed me to store it upright, and to lower it so that it is practically horizontal. Cuts the sail effect considerably, but adds about 4 feet to the length, but not all that significant.

I purchased a 22 foot tilt deck trailer, and have used it to move the 955. What a difference. The trailer has 14K rating at the tandem. Doesn't even sweat! But you are right, it was $5,000 to buy, and it is about 8 feet longer than the landscape trailer.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    So you guys would recommend something like this over a tilt gate trailer.

2019 H Harrisburg Area

Lighter than the landscape trailer too which is a plus.

Kennyd, DRobinson, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 796 Posts
    That is a nice looking trailer.

Are you planning on taking the Cub and the Wagon or just the Cub?

The tilt deck's I've used (only a few) went down with weight so as the tractor goes on, the deck goes down. That might make loading the wagon a little more interesting.

The other factor is length and getting the load centered for tongue weight. Since you said you are staying close, you could always make two trips.

It hasn't been mentioned but are you set up for trailer brakes?
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    I would agree to watch your hitch weight as that is where you will run into issues. Also do you have a brake controller? I would imagine most these trailers are going to be set up with electric brakes. Just a FYI to consider that in your purchase if you don't already have it. In addition to that you will probably need a WD hitch. Most trucks have a 5000# trailer and 500# hitch max rating unless you have a Class IV external WD hitch. Though some newer ones come with a Class IV from the factory. More common in 3/4 ton and up though unless you have a Max Towing type package on a 1/2 ton. With the weight restrictions you are talking about I assume you have a regular 1/2 ton.

I agree that a tilting bed would be easier but if loading the tractor and trailer that would be interesting. The landscape style would be better for that. My little aluminum trailer has a ramp that sticks up. Sure it creates more drag but you said you are not going more than 20 miles or so. It will eat into fuel economy but you should be fine as long as you maintain that 10-15% tongue weight.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Thanks
    I would recommend the tilt deck or any equipment/car trailer over the utility trailer, as the first time you try to load something from the side those trailer sides will be in the way.

Tilt deck or ramps is personal choice, I don't mind ramps, but I'm young (dumb) enough to muscle them around yet.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast