Ceramic paint coatings? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Ceramic paint coatings?

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    No first hand experience but I'm into cars and have a 2010 Challenger. I'm active on the Challenger forums and have read a lot about these coatings. Lets just say I'm a skeptic of stuff like this but I have generally read good things about them. I've heard if you don't apply it correctly it can end up kind of streaky. My opinion is any quality wax will do the job, it just won't last as long. A lot of the benefits of a wax isn't this magic coating on your vehicle but the fact it cleans the paint really well. A lot of body men don't believe all the wax hype. I will just say if you clean and wax your vehicle once or twice a year it will help a lot. I'm also a big believer in clay bars for cleaning the vehicle well.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Yeah, need to get a clay bar, but dadgum, lots of hype there too it seems. Something simple made complicated due to all the advertisements and misdirection.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #13

Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    I have tried waxing without using a clay bar first. Its worth the time, the wax will go on and come off a lot easier. I've tried a synthetic clay bar, it was a Mothers brand, and it was just O.K. If your vehicle was really clean, it would do better than if it needs a lot of cleaning. My technique is to first clean any bad tar spots of using mineral spirits, then clay bar, then wax. The clay bar will remove road tar also but takes a little more work. I also use a dual action buffer on mine, makes the wax go on easier, and has a slight polishing action also.
    jdforever likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What I and Frank used was just a spray on ďhybridĒ ceramic wax. Nothing like the actual treatment that Jason is talking about.

Meguiars

The Meguireís stuff is really nothing more than a type of spray on wax. I was not really impressed myself.

Frank said he wasnít either. He ended up applying it just like a wax the second time which he said worked well enough. But again - more like just a spray in wax.

Iíve gone back to using car wash with wax in it - then using a spray detailed the next day when it sits in the barn. Works well enough. I just canít wax anymore as my shoulders/elbows/wrists wonít take it.
    That's the procedure that I use also, Stan.
    BigJim55, jdforever and coaltrain like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Thanks for your feedback Stan.

I plan on using a coating myself, not paying a bunch of money to anyone else to do it.

Iím not looking for show quality paint, just great protection for a large investment I have sitting in my driveway. And who doesnít like a clean vehicle?
    Jason,

I initially used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic treatment and applied it as Stan mentioned. It's a good sealant but you'll still have to wash the vehicle using some elbow grease to be happy with results.

https://www.pointsupplies.com/produc...14094705950829

I just switched over to Mothers CMX Ceramic Coating and it delivers slightly better water beading and a much better shine.

https://www.pointsupplies.com/produc...xoCY9QQAvD_BwE

With each product I saturate a microfiber cloth and thoroughly wipe it onto the surface one panel at a time. Then I buff it using a separate microfiber cloth. Road dirt, bugs, grease and general road slop usually rinse right off but you can't beat a two-bucket wash and chamois dry! Some say it's good exercise as well!
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 2,274 Posts
    I feel a good regular treatment is just as good as any of these ceramic coatings myself.

Clay bar - good wash method - good wax application. I feel a good wax lasts around 3 months. Maybe these ceramic coatings will give you 6 months.

Since I canít do any type of wax applications anymore - rub on/rub off - Iíve had to adopt something that would work for me. I was quite excited about the new Meguireís hybrid ceramic wax because of the ease of application. The first application you washed your truck - then when still wet you sprayed the wax on then wiped it down with a microfiber cloth while still wet. Subsequent applications had you wash the truck, then just spray the wax on, then rinse again. Just seemed too easy...

The main thing I noticed is I didnít get the real shine or the slipperiness/water beading with the hybrid wax. Maybe that doesnít matter as far as protection but it made me feel better when using a good wax.

My truck gets dirty any time I drive in the rain around here. The roads are just dirty. My tailgate gets terribly dirty along with the bottom half of the sides. I was hoping for this hybrid wax to make that dirt rinse off easily but that wasnít the case. I still needed to do a regular washing to get it clean.
    DRobinson and jdforever like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've found that easy on/easy off vehicle polish and or wax doesn't last, regardless. That's why I prefer the detailer. I can do my whole truck in 30 minutes and it looks as good as a three hour wax job. I don't use it every time that I wash it and not at all when the weather is cold. The first time in the spring really makes me feel good though.
    jdforever and coaltrain like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch

10. Top | #18
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Iím leaning towards a coating that has a 6 year warranty. Not 6 months...

The coating is just that, itís a treatment that chemically bonds with your clear coat. They are considered permanent. The reason they are so expensive to have installed is because they seal your paint exactly how it is. So you need to have you paint corrected prior to applying it. They will make repair to your paint that much more difficult. You even have to wear a respirator on the pro grade coatings. Some of those have a 10 year warranty or even longer.

Ceramic coatings arenít quick and easy to apply. They arenít cheap to have done. They take some time and care to apply correctly. That being said, they make your vehicle a lot more hydrophobic, shine a lot deeper, provide some scratch prevention, and make maintenance cleaning a lot faster and easier. Pretty much all owners of a good coating report they can go a lot longer between washes as well. These vehicles with the coatings generally look amazing. They feel super slick and water just rolls off. Dirt has an incredibly hard time sticking. Think of a fresh wax job thatís better and lasts, for real.

Donít confuse a ceramic coating with wax or something you just spray or wipe on and walk away. They require a lot of effort up front.

Since my truck will sit outdoors, I think itíll provide a lot more protection than a wax job you need to reapply every 3-6 months.
    Kennyd, DRobinson, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

11. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hereís just one of the reputable outfits Iíve researched so far. Read the descriptions and application processes of the products if youíre interested. Itíll kinda show you what Iím talking about.

https://usa.gtechniq.com/?v=full
    jdforever and Toughsox like this.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Iím leaning towards a coating that has a 6 year warranty. Not 6 months...

The coating is just that, itís a treatment that chemically bonds with your clear coat. They are considered permanent. The reason they are so expensive to have installed is because they seal your paint exactly how it is. So you need to have you paint corrected prior to applying it. They will make repair to your paint that much more difficult. You even have to wear a respirator on the pro grade coatings. Some of those have a 10 year warranty or even longer.

Ceramic coatings arenít quick and easy to apply. They arenít cheap to have done. They take some time and care to apply correctly. That being said, they make your vehicle a lot more hydrophobic, shine a lot deeper, provide some scratch prevention, and make maintenance cleaning a lot faster and easier. Pretty much all owners of a good coating report they can go a lot longer between washes as well. These vehicles with the coatings generally look amazing. They feel super slick and water just rolls off. Dirt has an incredibly hard time sticking. Think of a fresh wax job thatís better and lasts, for real.

Donít confuse a ceramic coating with wax or something you just spray or wipe on and walk away. They require a lot of effort up front.

Since my truck will sit outdoors, I think itíll provide a lot more protection than a wax job you need to reapply every 3-6 months.
    What's the process if some hammerhead backs into you and dents a fender that requires body shop and paint repair?
    dieselshadow and jdforever like this.
    Don

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast