Thread: Ceramic paint coatings?

1. Top | #31
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Maybe I'll start a "I'm not getting a new truck" thread for those of us that did it right the first time or cannot afford a second mortgage for a new vehicle.......
    I canít afford another one either....hence taking care of this one.

And thanks for your contribution to this thread. Very helpful and informative.

I look forward to seeing your ďbeat up farm truckĒ thread. Iím actually surprised we donít have one already.....
    DRobinson, rtgt, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #32
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    This isnít in off-topic. He wonít see it for weeks.....
    I thought for sure he would chime in with Gizmoís one step process of truck cleaning.....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #33

Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks
    Adding just some personal experience to the thread. I have done all of my toys with Ceramic coating, I use Armor IX from Avalonking. <<< this URL shows how ceramic coatings work.

As previously stated everything comes down to paint prep. Its not scary, its not even particularly hard provided that you A. Have realistic expectations of the outcome and B. Do it for the right reasons. For me A meant having my vehicles preserved in time, looking as good as they possibly can, and I did it because I wanted better paint protection, and an investement so I could have some weekend time back for doing more important stuff than washing the vehicles.

Prep work; Be realistic, the result will be better than any normal wash and wax if you simply put in the prep work. I started out by purchasing a Griots Garage Dual Action Polisher, then I purchased two sets of 6" polishing pads from Chemical Guys (Orange, white, blue, black -- the colors relate to how stiff they are). Two sets because you end up with a lot of compound in them and its faster to change them entirely (orange for a new orange for instance) than it is to stop and clean them. I also purchased all the stages of mothers polishing (compound, polish, final glaze). And of course a few clay bars.

Example; Here is the tank on my bike which had some heavy scratches from my keys.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Paint Correction.jpg†
Views:	27†
Size:	909.2 KB†
ID:	701210

This was the most work I did on that bike. The rest of the bike was wash, clay bar to remove the big stuff, compound, polish, final polish (glaze), wash again with Dawn. None of this is hard, risky, or frustrating. Grab some shade, a cold one (or two), and throw on some music, its actually quite enjoyable.

Once that was done apply the ceramic coating which believe me, is the easiest part of the whole thing, it takes no time at all.

Pragmatic experience. My main bike sees about 8-10k miles of riding during the summer months. During this time I go through bug season, rain, back roads, highways, etc.. The only road I won't go on is deep gravel. I have only washed the bike once so far this summer and that was primarily to clean the unprotected parts (no ceramic coating). Everything else just wipes off, literally. Bugs, road grime, dirt, mud, etc.. all of it just wipes off with little effort. The shine is till here, it looks fantastic, and I accomplished both A and B. The bike looks as good as it can (better than it has in many years) and I spend no time on it.

Next up. Every fall I spend time to do the glass on all of the cars and the tractor cab with Aquapel. It makes a massive difference (way better than rainx) and this year I will be applying a ceramic coating to the cars. Its worth spending a couple hundred bucks a car to get lower maintenance for the next 4-5 years. Would I take it to a detailer... nope, not at 1000-1400 per vehicle. I find doing it yourself to be the perfect split in investment and outcome. I am not looking for perfection, I am looking for my first two points above (A/B).
    dieselshadow, bhill, rtgt and 3 others like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

bhill†(09-09-2019), dieselshadow†(08-23-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #34
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I canít afford another one either....hence taking care of this one.

And thanks for your contribution to this thread. Very helpful and informative.

I look forward to seeing your ďbeat up farm truckĒ thread. Iím actually surprised we donít have one already.....
    Id agree, if your going to get a 60-70 truck, I would ceramic coat that thing 5 times ha. These trucks are a major investment and tool, you don't want it looking like a POS in a few years. When I purchased mine, I clayed it and put a synthetic wax on it. I plan on putting ceramic on it next year.
    -J.R.
    5065E MFWD
    D140 Lawn Mower / R1 rear tires / Ribs front

8. Top | #35

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    I had my truck ceramic coated a couple days after I brought it home. I had my local detail shop install Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light ceramic coating. The brand is only sold to dealers and shops that have been approved, no joe blow. The ceramic coating is hard, only way to remove it is to wet send it off. Other brands claim to be ceramic coating but wear off after a year or require reapplication in 6-12mi. My dealer applies as many coats as you want. Obviously there is an appropriate number. On average you get a 3-5 year coating.

https://www.gothamauto.com/ceramic-coating-packages
    Georgia_Johndeere likes this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4