Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Trailering a 1025r TLB

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Thanks

Trailering a 1025r TLB

In reading about how to safely tie down a tractor to a trailer, most people seem to put four cross chains on the tractor and then chain down the implements. However, when I read the manual for my loader it says to not chain it down. Why would it say that? I have found any guidance one way or another for the FEL.

Operator's Manual OMLVU23711 260 Backhoe
    Transporting Tractor With Backhoe
    NOTE: Backhoe bucket should be lowered to trailer bed if possible.

1. Put wheel chocks against tractor wheels. Chain tractor securely to trailer bed.

2. Do not attach hold-down chains to any part of the backhoe assembly. Lower the backhoe bucket to the trailer bed, if possible

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    My interpretation of that statement is that they (JD) does not want you to attach chains to the backhoe assembly for tie-down (or "hold-down" as they wrote) purposes, they want the chains on the tractors frame instead.
    jgayman, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Charttn(09-01-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 798 Posts
    I think Kenny nailed it.

JD wants the tractor secured with chains or straps. So does DOT.

DOT requires that implements also be secured.

I believe that JD is saying not to secure the tractor by strapping or chaining the implements.

To meet DOT's requirements I put a strap across the loader bucket and the backhoe bucket, box blade or bush hog. The strap only serves to secure the implement to the trailer deck. The tractor itself is secured with chains.
    OxPath and jdforever like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

Charttn(09-01-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    I would agree that the tractor frame is what you want to secure. It is where all the mass is. Also, keep in mind that a FEL is strong and designed to lift loads but probably not a strong for lateral loads. So, lets say you had the tractor secured by the FEL and you were in an accident where someone T-bones the trailer. Pretend somehow the damage was only such that the trailer was damaged. Well you may now have structural damage to the FEL because it isn't designed to take a side force like that. Not likely but it is possible where you could have only had a damaged trailer, you now have a damaged tractor because it wasn't secured properly.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Charttn(09-01-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

strapping to the frame

Thanks for the input. I have no problem knowing not to strap the tractor down by the FEL. I just read it that I was not supposed to strap down the FEL and wondered why. It is great to have access to different perspectives. A good friend of mine from PA, when I asked her if she could help me with something, responded "I don't care to". Which to me meant she did not want to. But upon talking with her, I found out that she meant that she did not mind helping. Its all in the point of view.

NOW!

Next question.
    Where do you attach your tie downs to your tractor? I cannot find a perfect place, but I think I have found some close ones. (1025r tlb mmm)
    This one is good for the front but the webbing does touch the bottom of the frame and i'm concerned about the upward force on the FEL stand front piece that it goes under.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	front attach.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	702852

this one gets away from most sharp edges but I am concerned about the heat from the exhaust.

Name:	front attach1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	702854

There is a nice wide opening in the rear wheel frame but I am concerned about the sharp edges the webbing encounters running under the BH quick attach frame.

Name:	rear attach.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	702856

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charttn View Post
    Thanks for the input. I have no problem knowing not to strap the tractor down by the FEL. I just read it that I was not supposed to strap down the FEL and wondered why. It is great to have access to different perspectives. A good friend of mine from PA, when I asked her if she could help me with something, responded "I don't care to". Which to me meant she did not want to. But upon talking with her, I found out that she meant that she did not mind helping. Its all in the point of view.

NOW!

Next question.
    Where do you attach your tie downs to your tractor? I cannot find a perfect place, but I think I have found some close ones. (1025r tlb mmm)
    This one is good for the front but the webbing does touch the bottom of the frame and i'm concerned about the upward force on the FEL stand front piece that it goes under.
    All these compact tractors are tough to tie down in the front with a loader on. I use a pair of axle straps which gives you a little more of an option but still have to be creative....

Name:	yellows-golds-keeper-tie-down-straps-bungee-cords-04228-64_1000.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	702862
    keane likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure about other States.
    In Oregon

All loaders ,back hoes , Excavaters...etc.... must have the bucket ( attatched to machine boom) chained/strapped down.

The Big machines (log loaders) have a special stand at rear of lowboy to rest boom on to be secured down.

They can't tuck the boom like the way most excavaters are hauled BECause..the cab has to tilt forward as its too tall to get under the 13.5' limit or whatever it is..hence the stick points strait back and sits on special DOT stand.

I suspect this all came about by a hoe or excavater boom swinging out sideways on a corner and an injury/death was the result.

Lots of guys with traditional excavaters would stack their smaller buckets inside the wide clean up/grading bucket and secure with thumb. Not anymore .

All items must have something on them. FEL bucket is likely exempt if everything else is tied down good.

I prefer chains....yup you lose some paint but there not going to brake. Small price to pay imho.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

13. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaltrain View Post
    All these compact tractors are tough to tie down in the front with a loader on. I use a pair of axle straps which gives you a little more of an option but still have to be creative....
    That looks perfect! Thanks Coaltrain.

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charttn View Post
    That looks perfect! Thanks Coaltrain.
    If you use the axle straps try criss crossing your tie downs then. You will need a tie down point on your trailer that is in just the right place so you are pulling forward but not contacting the tire.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Charttn(09-02-2019)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    If you use the axle straps try criss crossing your tie downs then. You will need a tie down point on your trailer that is in just the right place so you are pulling forward but not contacting the tire.
    This is so important. Having tie downs in the correct places. You have to ask where some trailer mfgs. have their heads when they place tie downs!!!
    coaltrain likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast