Answer to the Question, What type of trailer to haul my new SCUT, CUT?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Answer to the Question, What type of trailer to haul my new SCUT, CUT?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts

Answer to the Question, What type of trailer to haul my new SCUT, CUT?

Often, on GTT, the question will come up which basically is asking;

"I am looking for a trailer to haul my SCUT, CUT or even Garden Tractor and implements. I don't want to spend a lot of money, what should I buy?

Well, keeping in mind the desire is for an occasional use trailer, which can safely and properly haul the equipment and is reasonably priced, here is a great example of a very good trailer deal.

Brand new, 83" wide, 18 foot long equipment trailer for $3,040.

2019 PJ C5 83 7K GVWR Car/Equipment Trailer $3040 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN

Why did I select this trailer? For several reasons which include the following;

1. It's an occasional use trailer and not something the buyer wants to spend a lot of money to buy. At $3,040 for a new trailer with the specs this has, its one of the better deals I have seen in a very long time. Keep in mind that I used to own a trailer dealership so I know these cargo, equipment and utility trailers quite well and this is a great price for the build of the trailer.

2. This isn't a "Close out special" or trailer which is limited in quantity for some reason. This trailer is a normal stock item at or very near this price point. There are similar sizes at similar prices on comparable trailers at this dealership.

3. It has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds and a load capacity of approximately 5,700lbs based upon its size (I didn't see the exact weight of the trailer but being a steel trailer of that size, it likely weighs about 1,200 pounds.)

4. It is a tandem axle trailer, which is a minimum requirement for hauling a tractor in my opinion. Don't think so? Wait until you have a blow out or flat tire on a single axle trailer with a 2,000 to 3,000 pound tractor on it. Also, this trailer uses Dexter Axles which have long been the Gold Standard in trailer axles. It also has new radial tires on 15" wheels. You would be surprised how some low price trailers actually use "take off" tires and wheels or used tires to keep the cost low.

5. It does NOT have a lift gate, but instead, it has ramps which are designed to be flipped up and down easily and slid to match the trailers load. Much nicer than dragging steel ramps around and storing them under the trailer. Also note when the loading ramps are flipped down for use, the base of the ramp sits on the surface of the road or driveway to support the load and also prevent the loading weight from pulling down on the rear of the trailer, stressing the ball mount on the tow vehicle.

6. Lift gates are rarely designed for more than 1,200 to 1,500 pound loads and running a tractor up and down a mesh style lift gate usually breaks the welds, tears up the hinge point, you name it. It often wrecks the trailer. I bet we fixed 100 lift gates on trailers from improper use if we fixed 1.

7. This trailer has stake pockets as load tie down points, plus the front rail, which is strong enough and designed to help secure the load. Many trailers use a light weight frame rail more for aesthetics and its not designed to secure loads, but people do hook to it, which often will fail in the event of a crash or break the welds and steel from continued stress of a load its not designed to handle.

8. Nice spare tire holder right up front and out of the way in the center of tongue so it doesn't increase the width of the trailer. Also, this is not a "Deck over" trailer, which means the tires and wheels would be under the trailer, making the trailer deck higher. Issues with "deck over" trailers can include;

a. - Making the loading angle of the trailer even steeper, which some people don't like.
    b. - The height of the trailer loaded would raise its center of gravity if it were a deck over, which makes the load more top heavy.
    c. - Requiring long loading ramps, which are heavier and difficult to handle.
    d. - It requires the trailer be jacked up higher to change a flat tire. With this style trailer and being tandem axle, you can change flat times very easily without a trailer jack or carrying a floor jack and using one of these Trailer Aid's instead to change the flat tire.
    e. - They are higher to climb up and down on the trailer deck, which can be difficult for some people.
    f. - Some deck over trailers use smaller diameter tires and wheels to reduce the deck height. Smaller tires and wheels rotate more per mile traveled and can cause increased bearing loads and temps. Typically, when trailers have a wheel bearing failure, its a trailer with smaller diameter tires and wheels.

9. This trailer has a Slight beaver tail to help with the loading angle (16' of trailer deck, 2' of beaver tail), but not so steep that it will hang up the MMM, etc. when loading and unloading.

10. At 83" wide (6' 11"), the trailer will be fully visible in the vast majority of stock pick up truck and even full sized SUV factory mirrors and not require extended mirrors, etc. to properly see the trailer when towing. This is something many people never consider and they should, as its crucial to be able to properly see around the trailer being towed at all times. Being able to use stock tow vehicle mirrors helps avoid having to extend tow vehicle mirrors or add the mirror extensions, etc. which often end up being damaged when the driver forgets to remove the mirror extensions or flip the larger mirrors in when parking in a garage, etc.

These are just some of the reasons why I took the time to post this. Often, the question arises about what they should use to haul their tractor, but they don't want to put a lot of money into the trailer as its not going to be used every day.

This trailer provides a tremendous value for what it is, how it's made and the fact it's a new trailer with a warranty. Often, used trailers will ask more than the cost of this new unit. There are also several other trailers at this same dealer which are very good values as well.

Please note, if money was no object, then I would be suggesting the purchase of the all aluminum, tilt deck trailer with all of the bells and whistles, but that would easily be double or triple the selling price of this trailer.

Keep the 10 plus items and other points I listed in mind when you are seeking a trailer to haul your SCUT or CUT as these are important considerations for anyone looking to buy a trailer to haul a tractor and or implements which weigh 2,000 pounds to 5,000 pounds.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 08-26-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spellain koraction
    Kennyd, arlen, Bubber and 12 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Jeff R. (08-27-2019), Jep (08-26-2019), Kbar (08-26-2019), kylew (08-26-2019), Rogero246 (08-26-2019), Toughsox (08-26-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Tractor Time with Tim on YouTube has an episode or two on the issue of trailers for SCUTs. I found that to be a very cogent review and very informative.
    jdforever and kylew like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    An 18' dove tail like this only has 16' of flat deck space. Kind of pusing it especially with a tractor with loader and brush hog.
    jdforever likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    Coal Train,

You are right, it has only 16 feet of flat deck space which is short for a tractor with a FEL and Brush hog, but it has another 2 feet of angled deck, which helps. But as Sulley Bear pointed out, for the average CUT owner, this unit will work. I upgraded my 14' dovetail to a 14K 22' Tilt Deck, which is way overkill for my 955. I had difficulty balancing the 955 on the short deck. I paid more than the $3K that SB is quoting, but I have a much more rugged trailer to move Oliver and other things. My son used it a few weeks ago to move his FD's 1924 American LaFrance pumper to a restorer in Hope, ME. Moving my 420 on it a couple of weeks ago was almost comical.

I have seen some scary trailer loads over the years. We started out with a 12' deck single axle tilt snowmobile trailer. That one was really touchy to load the 318 with a snow blower. I had it start to wag the truck on one trip. I bought the 14' dovetail tandem axle trailer before I moved the 318 again. It has a flip down ramp, which is more maintenance intensive than the individual ramps.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    An 18' dove tail like this only has 16' of flat deck space. Kind of pushing it especially with a tractor with loader and brush hog.
    I can fit the 4510, loader and backhoe on a 16' flat deck. Not fun but it works, takes a bit of adjustment to get everything on. An 18' dovetail will probably work with an SCUT because they are much smaller.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    I can fit the 4510, loader and backhoe on a 16' flat deck. Not fun but it works, takes a bit of adjustment to get everything on. An 18' dovetail will probably work with an SCUT because they are much smaller.
    The loading ramps on this trailer, with open space between them, can allow the rear wheel of the brush hog to be positioned between the loading ramps for those times when the rear mower might be attached. After all, most of the rear mowers on the SCUT's are either 4' or 5' in width and that width is at the center of the mower. With their rounded rear design on many of these such as the Frontier RC2048, it provides width to permit the rear mowers be positioned on the trailer.

As long as you properly flag anything which is extending off the rear of the trailer and always follow the rules for maximum overhang, it would be a viable solution. Plus, you also can position the loader bucket up front over the front rail with the bucket rolled forward, over the spare tire location if additional length is needed when hauling some configurations.

Or, you could always just opt for the 20' long model of the same trailer, which was about $300 more in price. Each additional 2 foot of length adds roughly $300 to the trailer price and I believe you can get this particular model up to 24' in total deck length.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Often, on GTT, the question will come up which basically is asking;

"I am looking for a trailer to haul my SCUT, CUT or even Garden Tractor and implements. I don't want to spend a lot of money, what should I buy?

Well, keeping in mind the desire is for an occasional use trailer, which can safely and properly haul the equipment and is reasonably priced, here is a great example of a very good trailer deal.

Brand new, 83" wide, 18 foot long equipment trailer for $3,040.

2019 PJ C5 83 7K GVWR Car/Equipment Trailer $3040 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN

Why did I select this trailer? For several reasons which include the following;

1. It's an occasional use trailer and not something the buyer wants to spend a lot of money to buy. At $3,040 for a new trailer with the specs this has, its one of the better deals I have seen in a very long time. Keep in mind that I used to own a trailer dealership so I know these cargo, equipment and utility trailers quite well and this is a great price for the build of the trailer.

2. This isn't a "Close out special" or trailer which is limited in quantity for some reason. This trailer is a normal stock item at or very near this price point. There are similar sizes at similar prices on comparable trailers at this dealership.

3. It has a GVWR of 7,000 pounds and a load capacity of approximately 5,700lbs based upon its size (I didn't see the exact weight of the trailer but being a steel trailer of that size, it likely weighs about 1,200 pounds.)

4. It is a tandem axle trailer, which is a minimum requirement for hauling a tractor in my opinion. Don't think so? Wait until you have a blow out or flat tire on a single axle trailer with a 2,000 to 3,000 pound tractor on it. Also, this trailer uses Dexter Axles which have long been the Gold Standard in trailer axles. It also has new radial tires on 15" wheels. You would be surprised how some low price trailers actually use "take off" tires and wheels or used tires to keep the cost low.

5. It does NOT have a lift gate, but instead, it has ramps which are designed to be flipped up and down easily and slid to match the trailers load. Much nicer than dragging steel ramps around and storing them under the trailer. Also note when the loading ramps are flipped down for use, the base of the ramp sits on the surface of the road or driveway to support the load and also prevent the loading weight from pulling down on the rear of the trailer, stressing the ball mount on the tow vehicle.

6. Lift gates are rarely designed for more than 1,200 to 1,500 pound loads and running a tractor up and down a mesh style lift gate usually breaks the welds, tears up the hinge point, you name it. It often wrecks the trailer. I bet we fixed 100 lift gates on trailers from improper use if we fixed 1.

7. This trailer has stake pockets as load tie down points, plus the front rail, which is strong enough and designed to help secure the load. Many trailers use a light weight frame rail more for aesthetics and its not designed to secure loads, but people do hook to it, which often will fail in the event of a crash or break the welds and steel from continued stress of a load its not designed to handle.

8. Nice spare tire holder right up front and out of the way in the center of tongue so it doesn't increase the width of the trailer. Also, this is not a "Deck over" trailer, which means the tires and wheels would be under the trailer, making the trailer deck higher. Issues with "deck over" trailers can include;

a. - Making the loading angle of the trailer even steeper, which some people don't like.
    b. - The height of the trailer loaded would raise its center of gravity if it were a deck over, which makes the load more top heavy.
    c. - Requiring long loading ramps, which are heavier and difficult to handle.
    d. - It requires the trailer be jacked up higher to change a flat tire. With this style trailer and being tandem axle, you can change flat times very easily without a trailer jack or carrying a floor jack and using one of these Trailer Aid's instead to change the flat tire.
    e. - They are higher to climb up and down on the trailer deck, which can be difficult for some people.
    f. - Some deck over trailers use smaller diameter tires and wheels to reduce the deck height. Smaller tires and wheels rotate more per mile traveled and can cause increased bearing loads and temps. Typically, when trailers have a wheel bearing failure, its a trailer with smaller diameter tires and wheels.

9. This trailer has a Slight beaver tail to help with the loading angle (16' of trailer deck, 2' of beaver tail), but not so steep that it will hang up the MMM, etc. when loading and unloading.

10. At 83" wide (6' 11"), the trailer will be fully visible in the vast majority of stock pick up truck and even full sized SUV factory mirrors and not require extended mirrors, etc. to properly see the trailer when towing. This is something many people never consider and they should, as its crucial to be able to properly see around the trailer being towed at all times. Being able to use stock tow vehicle mirrors helps avoid having to extend tow vehicle mirrors or add the mirror extensions, etc. which often end up being damaged when the driver forgets to remove the mirror extensions or flip the larger mirrors in when parking in a garage, etc.

These are just some of the reasons why I took the time to post this. Often, the question arises about what they should use to haul their tractor, but they don't want to put a lot of money into the trailer as its not going to be used every day.

This trailer provides a tremendous value for what it is, how it's made and the fact it's a new trailer with a warranty. Often, used trailers will ask more than the cost of this new unit. There are also several other trailers at this same dealer which are very good values as well.

Please note, if money was no object, then I would be suggesting the purchase of the all aluminum, tilt deck trailer with all of the bells and whistles, but that would easily be double or triple the selling price of this trailer.

Keep the 10 plus items and other points I listed in mind when you are seeking a trailer to haul your SCUT or CUT as these are important considerations for anyone looking to buy a trailer to haul a tractor and or implements which weigh 2,000 pounds to 5,000 pounds.
    PJ makes a great trailer with good resale
    same site....while it cost significantly more this is the exact trailer i use just 9 years older for everything up to 10k # ....its the best trailer i have ever owned....pulls great....litterally loading is fast and safe.....dragging chains out takes longer than loading.....highly recommned if you use a trailer a lot

2020 PJ T6 83 14K GVWR Tilt Trailer $6540 | Trailers Midwest in Indiana and Ohio | Flatbed Equipment Trailers and Enclosed Trailers in Elkhart SouthBend IN
    Last edited by ttazzman; 08-26-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    BigJim55, jdforever and WilliamT. like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    Coal Train,

You are right, it has only 16 feet of flat deck space which is short for a tractor with a FEL and Brush hog, but it has another 2 feet of angled deck, which helps. But as Sulley Bear pointed out, for the average CUT owner, this unit will work. I upgraded my 14' dovetail to a 14K 22' Tilt Deck, which is way overkill for my 955. I had difficulty balancing the 955 on the short deck. I paid more than the $3K that SB is quoting, but I have a much more rugged trailer to move Oliver and other things. My son used it a few weeks ago to move his FD's 1924 American LaFrance pumper to a restorer in Hope, ME. Moving my 420 on it a couple of weeks ago was almost comical.

I have seen some scary trailer loads over the years. We started out with a 12' deck single axle tilt snowmobile trailer. That one was really touchy to load the 318 with a snow blower. I had it start to wag the truck on one trip. I bought the 14' dovetail tandem axle trailer before I moved the 318 again. It has a flip down ramp, which is more maintenance intensive than the individual ramps.

Dave
    What I look at is the ability to adjust the tractor fore and aft to get the proper tongue weight.

Even with a little 1 series with loader and brush hog you may fit it on this trailer but will not be able to make that adjustment which will make for a dangerous vehicle on the road.

People will take the measurement of their rig - let’s say 18’ with loader and brush hog - and figure that an 18’ trailer is enough. That is not the case.
    Doug, MDrew, jdforever and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    What I look at is the ability to adjust the tractor fore and aft to get the proper tongue weight.

Even with a little 1 series with loader and brush hog you may fit it on this trailer but will not be able to make that adjustment which will make for a dangerous vehicle on the road.

People will take the measurement of their rig - let’s say 18’ with loader and brush hog - and figure that an 18’ trailer is enough. That is not the case.
    that issue is one of the reasons a tilt trailer like i mention above work so well.....doesnt matter what i am loading i just pull up till the bed tilts back flat and then pull a litte further forward to put some load on the tounge ......no quesswork....right on every time...even with different equipment......
    Last edited by ttazzman; 08-27-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    I own a 14' Sure-Trac tandem trailer. Sure-Trac is a also a very rugged trailer. This is a 7000 lb. capacity trailer with a spring assisted lift gate that easily handles the weight of my rig without any flexing. Specs have it weighing in at approximately 1700 lbs. That's a lot of steel in a 14' trailer. I can load my 1025R/with bucket attached and box blade attached to the 3 pt. hitch, with about one inch to spare. It will handle my son's 1025R/TBL with bucket attached. We do however, need to swing the back hoe to one side. I could go one and on about the quality of this trailer, but that's not really the point of my post. I just wanted to illistrate to some degree what a 14'er will haul and handle. I agree with Sully and coaltrain in that if you haul with your bush hog attached, you should be looking at an 18' to 20' trailer. Both PJ and Sure-Trac are very good choices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180223_153710.jpg  
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast