Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Dump Trailer Project

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks

Dump Trailer Project

I inherited a dump trailer and it is in need of some work. Well quite a bit and figured I would look for advice around here.

As far as use, the trailer sees very little. If I use it for anything it is normally running to get mulch or dirt from a buddy who has his business less than a mile from my house. So, that means it sees 2-4 miles on it a year..

Worst case, I just call my buddy and have him drop a load of what I need with a dump truck. Some years that is easier so it doesn't see use. Where it is really nice is when cleaning stuff out we will haul it out to him but that is less common as I compost more now.

Here are the issues.

The hydraulic pump is pretty weak. There are many times I am helping it up to get it to dump much of anything with the FEL on my tractor. So, that should be replaced.

The Hydraulic Rams leak but could be rebuilt as they have been in the past.

All electrical should be redone.

Yesterday I went down there to get 4 yards of top soil as I am getting ready to plant grass. Well on the way home, or maybe when my buddy dropped 4 yards of top soil in it, a spring broke. I didn't notice it was broken and we blew out a tire on the way home.

The axles are not set up right on it. If pulling an empty trailer at any speed, it will start to sway. If fixing the springs, the right answer is to put new axles under it and set them up right sliding them back about 5". This will also mean that we can ditch the wheels we have now that are an odd size and difficult to find tires for. That will mean new brakes and might as well fix/replace the hydraulic pump.

The right answer is probably to scrap it because for how much work it needs and the amount of use it sees it doesn't make much sense. More so when you consider he doesn't charge me for dirt/mulch because I maintain all their computer systems and never charge them. That is "free", delivered or if I pick it up. Basically I will never save in delivery charges what I will spend on fixing it even if you just consider materials. For what little I use it, even if I needed a trailer,

I could go with a nice set of Dexter EZ lube but again, is that total overkill with the amount of use? What would the most economical solution be with this use case? The furthest I can see going is every now and then going to get some landscape rock which would be about a 10 mile each way trip. Maybe once every 5 years. Even if I had to have a trailer for that, I could rent one for less than $100 for 1/2 day.

I guess the main reason I am thinking about actually fixing it is that it is a reason to use my welder, it would be a fun project. However, I don't have a ton of time to mess with it. I have no time now to deal with it, maybe next summer at the soonest. The garage build is first priority for all extra funds and time. Since I have no needed use near term it can wait.

A quick guess at materials, I am looking at $1000-1500 at least.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like scrap to me. Double that parts figure at a minimum to cover your labor, so figure $3000-$4000 investment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Thanks
    Time to walk away, List it as OBO if you have a title if not a time for the metal recycler.
    Just my 2$.

Doug
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    ​ Springs are cheap......fix it....probly 60 bux

pic of the whole trailer would be sweet....you know the drill
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Well, as you said, the real reason your are thinking about repairing the trailer is "you want to"!! This is really the issue, do you want to repair and do you have the abilities and equipment to do the repair.

If you want to, and have the prerequisite abilities and equipment, then the decision isn't so much about the cost of doing it, it is more about do you need the trailer and is it worth your time and effort to repair it.

It sounds like the trailer is in pretty bad condition, but pretty much anything can be repaired, it just a matter of "want to", money, abilities, equipment and time, generally in that order.

I'm not sure about Minnesota law concerning trailer state inspections. In PA, any trailer licensed over 3000 lb. GTWR has to be state inspected annually, so the trailer has to meet all of the normal requirements and be in relatively good condition. Things like these are checked every year: brakes on all wheels; brake break-away switch; lights must work; tires, suspension, floor, frame, coupler in good condition; etc. So, if you were in PA, you would have to make sure your trailer is in pretty good condition so that it would pass state inspection, albeit, it isn't a bad idea to have your trailer in good condition anyway, after all you are taking it on the highway.

So, I think it comes down to, we many times buy and have stuff that we don't need or we buy it just because we want one.

So, again it really comes down to, do you want to fix it. IMO, if you do, bring it back to like new condition which will make it safe and something to be proud of. If you don't want to fix it and bring it back to a safe trailer and something you will be proud of, then get rid of it.
    Last edited by Ray_PA; 09-02-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    I think I’d put a new spring in it and a tire and sell it. E-trailer and Amazon have good prices on trailer parts. Used trailers always bring good money.
    What size tires are you running?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post

I'm not sure about Minnesota law concerning trailer state inspections. In PA, any trailer licensed over 3000 lb. GTWR has to be state inspected annually, so the trailer has to meet all of the normal requirements and be in relatively good condition. Things like these are checked every year: brakes on all wheels; brake break-away switch; lights must work; tires, suspension, floor, frame, coupler in good condition; etc. So, if you were in PA, you would have to make sure your trailer is in pretty good condition so that it would pass state inspection, albeit, it isn't a bad idea to have your trailer in good condition anyway, after all you are taking it on the highway.
    In Minnesota, there is no vehicle inspection of any kind for non-commercial vehicles or trailers.

The OP's trailer....hard to tell what the rest of the trailer is like based just on that one picture of a broken $30 leaf spring, but the mounts look ok, and if the axles and hubs are OK then maybe rehabbing suspension, hydraulics, brakes, and lights wouldn't be that hard. My problems in such a scenario would be time (especially with winter approaching) and where to store the thing. Trailer parking around my lot is already at a premium, as is time to begin a major project like that.
    Ray_PA, sennister and PJR832 like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    Sounds like scrap to me. Double that parts figure at a minimum to cover your labor, so figure $3000-$4000 investment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I might be shy on my estimate cost because I didn't factor in wheels and tires. So I might be close to that number just in parts. I don't think I would factor labor in this case. Some times I do. For instance if this is something I don't want to do. I have been looking for a welding project. This would be a good one. Or if it was a needed thing to where I have to put other things off and maybe take time off work. None of this is true. I could put it in the back yard for the winter and shop Craigs list for the next few months to save some money. Then once I get stuff, put it in the shop (pole barn) and work on the axle swap as I have time here and there. I don't think it would take all that much time to address.
    PJR832 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    ​ Springs are cheap......fix it....probly 60 bux

pic of the whole trailer would be sweet....you know the drill
    Here is one from my album with about 4 yards of mulch.

PJR832 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Well, as you said, the real reason your are thinking about repairing the trailer is "you want to"!! This is really the issue, do you want to repair and do you have the abilities and equipment to do the repair.

If you want to, and have the prerequisite abilities and equipment, then the decision isn't so much about the cost of doing it, it is more about do you need the trailer and is it worth your time and effort to repair it.

It sounds like the trailer is in pretty bad condition, but pretty much anything can be repaired, it just a matter of "want to", money, abilities, equipment and time, generally in that order.

So, I think it comes down to, we many times buy and have stuff that we don't need or we buy it just because we want one.

So, again it really comes down to, do you want to fix it. IMO, if you do, bring it back to like new condition which will make it safe and something to be proud of. If you don't want to fix it and bring it back to a safe trailer and something you will be proud of, then get rid of it.
    No inspections of anything here in MN. Vehicles, trailers or anything.

I have pretty much everything I would need. What I don't have is knowledge as I haven't built a trailer before, I can weld. I had Oxy Acetylene torch, metal band saw, drill press, grinders and pretty much anything else I could think of and know how to use them. I have a work space in my pole barn where this would be out of the way for messing with as time allows.

The knowledge part is going to be setting up trailer brakes, never done that before and selecting and installing axles. That would be new to me. Tandem axles at that. It would also be nice to convert from surge brakes to electric. We have brake controllers in our trucks because of the campers.
    Ray_PA and PJR832 like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast