• 2 Post By UnionSchnauzer
  • 5 Post By UnionSchnauzer

Thread: The Rebuild of the Flyn' Schnauzer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

The Rebuild of the Flyn' Schnauzer

My company truck was the best in the fleet. Lest amount of mechanical issues and down time plus solid fuel economy. Purchasing the truck used with 97,000 miles on it, I rolled another 135,000 with only a starter, idler pulley, and fuel filter assembly. Tires and brakes with a few batteries sprinkled in was the bulk of the repairs.

Last summer while in a 35mph zone a doe ran into the side of the truck. New drivers door skin and front fender and I was good as new.

Then October came along. I was passing a school bus that was in the left lane waiting to turn left. I was in the right lane continuing north when an older gal on her phone thought for some reason the bus was waiting for her to go. She was stopped on the side street at the intersection that the bus was waiting for the southbound traffic to clear to make its turn. She gunned it, wanting to cross the four lane and continue straight down the side street. She had to arch her travel to clear the front of the bus but discovered I was in the lane traveling about 40 mph. The impact was so great that she shoved me into the curb and broke three of the studs on my rear duels. It deployed all her airbags. I was hit between the drivers door and the first cabinet of my service body which sent hand tools flying all over the road. It was an eire sight. Still dark we was all alone in the middle of the road. Steam and fluids leaving her Saturn SUV and 'smoke' from the airbags. I could not see in her car due to the curtain airbags being deployed. All the other vehicles including the school bus left. No one stopped. I called 911 as I exited my truck.

I tried the doors. They all were locked. I was praying no one was hurt. I made three laps around the Saturn. Looking for signs of fire, trying doors, and shouting. Finally the passenger door opened and a teenage boy rolled out onto the pavement. He was okay. Grandma was on her phone talking away as if nothing had happened. My concerned feelings left me and I walked back to my van to start gathering tools.

The full discipline of responders arrived. Police, fire, and ambulance. They checked the two passengers in the Saturn out and they did not need to go for further evaluations. The officer told me no tickets would be issued since no one took a ride in the ambulance and since Michigan is a no-fault state, it didn't matter. It doesn't? I stated. It's called failure to yield. It's called distracted driving.

I was able to drive the truck away.

The boss wanted to fix it. Why was my first thought. But it is his shop and his money. He has a really high deductible and low rates by not claiming stuff like this so it just came out of his pocket.

We had an entire new walk in body installed on it, which includes a new windshield since they have to break it to remove the body. New drivers door, rocker, and B pillar. This took about five months since the crash to get the truck back. It wasn't a seamless process. The body supplier only does the body. I had to arrange to have it trucked to a GM dealer for the chassis body work after the service body was removed then trucked back for completion. Between the GM body shop and the vocational body work, several little items was missing and or damaged. So I left it with my locale mechanic to take care of several things while I completed the rest in my driveway.

Today I still have a few things left to do. I need to either paint the rims or replace them next tire change. I still am arranging and rearranging the shelves and purging materials and tools that I never use. All while trying to manage a new factory build with an eight man crew and handle service work and related emergencies.
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 09-02-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    DRobinson and mark02tj like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

The Rebuild of the Flyn' Schnauzer-Photos

Here are some of the photos of the situation.

The damage during the daylight hours.

The Saturn that hit me.

The truck once I got her back. I changed the body from exterior cabinets to none with a curb side door which I did not have before.

The truck at the job site with my office trailer in the background and the company colors flying again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6868.JPG IMG_6865.JPG IMG_7450.JPG IMG_7544.JPG
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 09-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    DRobinson, fdmars, rtgt and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements