• 6 Post By Evergreen
  • 5 Post By Bill Berger
  • 3 Post By 5304
  • 5 Post By Super55
  • 2 Post By Levi
  • 6 Post By meburdick
  • 2 Post By mjncad
  • 3 Post By meburdick

Thread: Of all the things to wear out...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Of all the things to wear out...

A little background to set the stage:
    I bought my '85 F150 with 250,000 miles on it from of the original owner when I was 15. $700 cash. I figured it would be a good farm beater to learn on and after a few years I would get a nicer truck. Since then I have bought and subsiquenly sold or scrapped 6 other trucks. All of them either mechanically worn out or bodies rotted by the time they left... and yet I'm still stuck with my '85. The darn thing just will not quit. At this point I think I'm going to start restoring it because my wife has put her foot down and told me "no new trucks until this one dies".

In the last 13 years I have only worn out/replaced the seat, the pedal covers, the heater core, the radiator, several sets of tires, and the rear axle shafts (because apparently firewood is heavy). The original engine and transmission are still holding their own thanks to 87 oil changes and 6 gear lube changes. Hands down, this has been the most cost effective vehicle I have ever owned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48857d1430286665-all-things-wear-out-image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	48859

Yesterday, I wore out something else. Something I didn't think was possible to wear out before the rest of the vehicle's major systems. Just before it rolled past 512,000 miles (or rather 12,000 again, because there is no 6th digit) the speedometer/odometer died. Yep, I wore out the odometer before I wore out the rest of the truck.

I know it isn't the cable or drive gear because the speedo half of the gauge has been fritzing out since December and I think it finally took the odometer with it. Sub-zero temperatures and 30 year old nylon gear sets don't work well together. I found a replacement on eBay which has a few thousand more miles on it to correct for the winter I drove with a broken speedometer cable. I ordered it this morning and should get it by Friday.

Has anyone else ever worn out something on their car or truck that left them scratching their head?
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 07-19-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: rotated image
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Zebrafive and 3 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    The old Dodge / Chrysler 225 slant-six was a beast of an engine also.
    I had one in a 67 Dart that just wouldn't "die", so, back in 1984 when I ordered my first brand new truck, I specifically ordered it with the slant-six, auto tranny, am/fm radio, a/c, roll-up windows, and an 8' bed.
    I don't own it anymore, but she's still running around with over 600,000 miles on her.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    My 2000 F150 is dying a slow electrical death. Every year something else electrical dies. Door lock solenoids, temperature/compass, odometer (slowly fading and blinking) and mirror adjusters just to name a few.
    etcallhome, farmgirl19 and Levi like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Thanks
    I've always been a big fan of the old straight 6 engines. I don't know if yours has the 300 straight 6 but that engine was a workhorse. Not so great on fuel economy but the torque curves those inline engines is impressive while typically running at lower RPMs than the V-engines.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Levi and 2 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    My (traded it) '97 4X4 Dakota died from the outside. The engine, front end, transfer case, transmission, rear-end were all in good working order. I was the original owner and it was never wrecked. The body and everything hooked to it just rusted away. Hence the 2010 F-150 that replaced it a few months ago. It only had 130,000 something miles on it. Still ran good, always had it serviced or did it myself. Gas tank strap, spring hangers, heat shields, gas lines, gas filler, just whatever was under the body rusted away. Then the bed did the same. Cab, fenders and hood were still good. It just got to dangerous to drive far from home. Which reminds me, steering column was starting go by the way of rust too. When I traded I made sure the dealer knew about all of this. No way I wanted someone's death or wounds on my head. Radio and air conditioning didn't work either. Only condition my wife told me on the trade, it better not be another Dodge and no more then a 300 dollar payment. So now we are an all Ford family.
    mjncad and 5304 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    There's one thing that, no matter HOW hard I try, NEVER WEARS OUT... The payments.

mjncad, etcallhome, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Thanks
    Except for the POS '83 Chevy S-10 I bought new; my patience wears out before the vehicles do.
    meburdick and Levi like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    There's one thing that, no matter HOW hard I try, NEVER WEARS OUT... The payments.

Gladly I will admit here that I was wrong.

I wore out my payments!!! Woo hoo!!!

Gizmo2, DRobinson and rtgt like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Gladly I will admit here that I was wrong.

I wore out my payments!!! Woo hoo!!!

Great feeling isn't it!

Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements