A shortage of regular cab, long bed trucks???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: A shortage of regular cab, long bed trucks???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

A shortage of regular cab, long bed trucks???

Looking for a regular cab, long bed F150. Maybe a 2008 to 2010 with about 50-75 on the clock & not all tore up. They almost don't exist & what is out there is generally white & put out to pasture from a commercial fleet all beat up. My son in law is a used car dealer & every week he goes to the biggest auction we have down here, & nothing of any value shows up.

I'm not even going to put 10k on a year, so it's stupid for me to buy new. I need one to haul building & landscape materials for a number of home projects. It's not going to be an every day driver so investing into one at the high end is a waste of money. However I don't want to buy something falling apart & killing me on repairs. I've looked all over. It seems that a regular cab, long bed is as rare as finding live dinosaur eggs at the local zoo. I'm getting bummed out.

Last edited by dieselshadow; 09-02-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: edited title for clarity and better searches
    Carvel Loafer, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think that problem is limited to the F150 either. Finding a used regular cab truck of ANY brand that wasn't a commercial vehicle is like pulling hens teeth.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Even new reg cab 1/2 tons are hard to find. Almost have to be ordered out. On the used market, don't rule out 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. If you don't make a lot of miles mpg shouldn't matter much, plus a 3/4 ton will handle more weight.

I don't understand why anyone would want a full size truck with a box shorter than 6' 6" myself. But, they sure seem to sell a lot of the things.
    mjncad, etcallhome, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Trucks used to be owned by people that -needed- them. Now, they are owned by people that -want- them. I fall into this latter category, like I suspect most private owners do now. I do not need a truck. But, when I need to haul something, I want that flexibility. Period. So, I'll give up the full length bed and replace some of it with cab space because at current day's prices, it needs to do dual duty between hauler and family vehicle.

Such is the way they've gone, and now the regular cab models are largely put into service as commercial vehicles. I used cars.com to search in my area (75 mile radius) and found plenty of trucks that would fit the bill. Well over half are 3/4 or one ton (as already suggested) and almost NONE of the 1/2 ton options are Ford's.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Interesting... I recently commented to someone about all the 4-door short-bed pickups on the road. It's like you rarely see a standard 2-door long-bed. Just the other day while sitting at a particularly long traffic light we made note of the pickups that went thru the intersection. There must have been 8-10 of them and they were ALL 4-door short-bed.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 839 Posts
    Todays 1/2 ton pickup truck is yesterdays station wagon.

Todays 3/4 ton, lifted diesel 4x4 pickup truck is the new age candidate for Sigmund Freud's compensation theory.

Funny, I remember a time when a lot of folks looked down on someone driving a pickup. Growing up I lived near a community that had an ordinance against parking a pickup on a residential street or driveway except for service vehicles.... Bet ya that place is covered up with high $$ mega cab monsters now!

As meburdick put it, having a pickup is handy, and at the cost of them plus tags and insurance, having one just as an occasional user is pretty high

Cars have also changed. Growing up my mother had a Buick Electra 225. That thing could haul or tow more that most of todays 1/2 tons. It was a tank. Todays pregnant roller-skates would have fit in the trunk.

If you really want to go looking for a needle in a haystack, try finding a good used one with a stick and without power windows, door locks, etc....

I have, and will likely always have a pickup truck. I use mine as a pickup truck. My first criteria is what can I do with it, amenities are way down on the list after tow capacity, storage capacity, winch capacity, gearing, limited slip....

I'm with you Maddog. Keep the faith.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Maddog and 2 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,066 Posts
    A few month's ago I was looking for a cab+(cab w/small rear doors for the extra room in the cab) with an 8' bed and it had to be a Ford. I found one, an F-250. It was sold the first day, I called the second day. I looked for 3 months and found just the one that was actually worth buying. Ended up with the F-150 Lariat with a 6'6" bed. I'll make do but it's not what I was looking for. I wanted an 8' bed so I could put a 4'x8' sheet of plywood in the bed and close the tailgate so I wouldn't have to tie it down. I didn't know they were so hard to find. I do have to say I like the truck I ended up with and the extra room in the cab holds all my tie-down stuff and seats 3 in the back.
    etcallhome and ColonyPark like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    meburdick put it, having a pickup is handy, and at the cost of them plus tags and insurance, having one just as an occasional user is pretty high
    Yep... I bought a new 4x4 pickup back in '92 and it didn't get used for much other than hauling. As a result it sat in the driveway and rusted.

So I sold it and bought a landscape trailer that I tow with my SUV.

Way better! Not only does it haul more weight than the 1/2 ton P/U I had, it also only cost $1200, requires no extra insurance and license is only $6.00 per year.

Oh... and with the drop down gate it is way easier to load than the 4X4 pickup.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yep... I bought a new 4x4 pickup back in '92 and it didn't get used for much other than hauling. As a result it sat in the driveway and rusted.

So I sold it and bought a landscape trailer that I tow with my SUV.

Way better! Not only does it haul more weight than the 1/2 ton P/U I had, it also only cost $1200, requires no extra insurance and license is only $6.00 per year.

Oh... and with the drop down gate it is way easier to load than the 4X4 pickup.
    I've thought about this but I get concerned with a trailer being unused and rotting away especially if it has brakes.

Also need to have the pickup bed available just in case. Since our grocery runs take us at least 25 miles away and doctor appointments are either 35 miles or 90 miles, I need to know I can pick something up spur of the moment. Come across a yard sale or a super sale on something at a store we need to grab it and go - way too far away to go home to get the trailer and come back.

So the crew cab with 5.5' bed works out perfectly since I am done hauling construction materials. I have a waterproof tonneau cover that rolls up on my bed for all the coolers when doing a grocery run and all the rest goes easily in the rear doors. Even though it is a crew cab nobody has ever sat in the back. When you flip up the back seat the cargo area is huge (and nice and flat).
    etcallhome, ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I've thought about this but I get concerned with a trailer being unused and rotting away especially if it has brakes.

Also need to have the pickup bed available just in case. Since our grocery runs take us at least 25 miles away and doctor appointments are either 35 miles or 90 miles, I need to know I can pick something up spur of the moment. Come across a yard sale or a super sale on something at a store we need to grab it and go - way too far away to go home to get the trailer and come back.

So the crew cab with 5.5' bed works out perfectly since I am done hauling construction materials. I have a waterproof tonneau cover that rolls up on my bed for all the coolers when doing a grocery run and all the rest goes easily in the rear doors. Even though it is a crew cab nobody has ever sat in the back. When you flip up the back seat the cargo area is huge (and nice and flat).
    The boxes aren't short, 2.5 ft of it is enclosed.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast