How long to trailer tires last? How often should you re-pack trailer bearings?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long to trailer tires last? How often should you re-pack trailer bearings?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks

How long to trailer tires last? How often should you re-pack trailer bearings?

About 13 years ago with the help of some friends (since I don't have any welding gear) "I" build a trailer. It's been stored out side and has some rust on it, the post from 8086Bruce got me thinking about my trailer. It's living inside now, so I might want to clean it up if I could figure out what's needed to sand and paint it...

How long can the tires on the trailer go? Should they be changed out after a decade or so, especially if the trailer was outside all that time?

In a similar vein, I'm guessing I need to re-pack the bearings after all this time?

I just can't see letting it go to waste, and now that it can be stored inside it's worth the effort to give it another decade or two of life.

No pictures on purpose, just think "ugly yellow rusted trailer" and you'll be fine . (sorry Randy)

Pete
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    This is so hard without pictures:empathy3:

So, I have to guess that you have not greased the bearings in the last 10 years? Does it have the greasable axles that push grease through the bearings?

To be safe, I would check the bearings and see if they are good or need replaceing. At a minimum, repack them.

Does it have electric brakes? If so, they will need to be gone through and the magnets replaced if you have not used it.

I would also check for wear around the spring perches and pending they type of spring, I would look for wear or a broken spring while its apart.

electrical.... Well.. you have that covered I am sure

Tires... If its your around town trailer, I would check them for weather checking and see if they hold air. Pending the quality of tire and how much sun it has seen, it could be ok for around town. If this goes on long trips loaded, replace them.

POR15 would be great for this, but it would need to be painted over as it is not UV resistant.

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    If sandlasting is not a consideration I would use a good face mask and cupped wire brush on a mini-grinder to remove the rust from the frame. My own preference for protecting metal that is hard to get at is Rust Bullet. I would check into using a UV protected bed liner to paint over the Rust Bucketed frame and fenders which always seem to get scratched.

I would replace the tires and only repack the bearings if they weren't ruined due to moisture and was was staying local with the trailer, breaking down miles from home especially at 5 PM on a Saturday or Sunday would be very inconvenient and cost more than replacing both the bearings and tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CUPPED BRUSH.jpg  
    Last edited by tackit; 10-22-2011 at 08:39 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tackit For This Useful Post:

CEngebretson (09-14-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    Pete:

Last year I replaced the 10-year old tires on my F-250 out of concern for dry rot, even though the truck is garaged. This was done on the advice of a couple of car guys I respect. This year I replaced the tires on my new to me via inheritance 2001 Honda Accord for the same reason, even though the tires only had 7,800 miles on them.

Since I like to drive 80 MPH on the freeways where possible; new tires are cheaper than a hospital stay caused by a blowout.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    05-26-2019 @ 06:02 PM
    Thanks
    Ok, I'm going to replace the tires since the price of failure is greater than the cost of tires. This is an "around town" trailer, no big road trips. New tires and stored indoors I should be good for another 12 years or so. I'll repack the bearings. The axle with the electric break has grease fittings, the other doesn't, I'll repack both so they are known good. I've not repacked since it was built and greased the zirks back in 2005. Since the trailer has seen a little use every year, the breaks work OK. That said, the last 3 years it's been idle and of course I'll re-check them.

The rust is sporadic surface rust. While I've got the air compressor to do a sandblast, I'll probably stick with the wire brush approach.

I have a low millage high year car and I replaced the tires on it due to age. Hurts, but hurts less than a blow out.

Ok, here's a picture of the trailer "in harmony with nature" (aka with dead ragweed stems growing around it) I guess I can't exactly complain about "lack of picture" whining from everyone here....

Tnx for the feedback!

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailer.jpg  
    '09 JD4520 Cab (60HP), '97 KubotaB21 TLB (21HP), 400cx loader, MX6 rotary mower, SB1106 6' Sickle Bar, BB3272 6' box blade, GradeMaster 7' Landplane, Frontier AF11E Front Blade, 4' Pallet Forks, 6' landscape rake, ballast box, Woods GTC 40" tiller, PHD 9" auger, 4' x 8' chain harrow, '16 X755 (23HP Diesel) w/front PTO, 60" deck, 72" front blade, '90 JD318 (18HP gas) with 48" MM mower, 54" front blade, 47" snowblower.
    Volunteer Firefighter.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eepete For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (04-23-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    That is a nice trailer Pete, it doesn't look bad from here. You might check to see if the new DOT law concerning dull axle trailers of a certain weight having brakes on both axles apply to older trailers as well. She's gonna look brand new with a new coat of paint and wood preservative on the deck.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That trailer looks to be in good shape Pete.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    AAhhh, but it needs some green paint on it.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (04-23-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-11-2014 @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    On my single axle the bearings made till this year(17years) and one side needed it bad and the other side still looked good but I did them both. The tires on mine are still the org. and look great. But has been inside for about 90% of it's life.

RandyM, that green paint is a good idea. In a couple years when mine needs paint again I think green with yellow wheels is in order!
    2012 JD X720SE
    54"mmm
    54" Quick hitch blade

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 8086Bruce For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (04-23-2019)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    AAhhh, but it needs some green paint on it.
    Let's cut Pete some slack, after all his trailer is yellow, not orange or blue.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast