Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: High mileage-Really?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

High mileage-Really?

I've been shopping for a used long bed truck for some time now. There almost impossible to find now since everyone is buying those four door short beds that are built for people who never buy lumber or rocks. I just need it to make material runs to the box store & to the landscape yard. I won't be driving it every day & I doubt that I will even put two thousand miles on it in a year.

So here is my situation. By chance, I passed one of these little independent used car dealers in a town about twenty miles from my house. I spotted what look like a long bed so I pulled in & it tuned out to be a 2005 Ram 1500 (wishing it was a Ford F150). The salesman/lot owner came out & opened the door for me. Took a look inside. It was a little rough but overall still had service life left. It had a few dents & dings as you would expect on a truck that's ten years old. It started right up. I noticed it had new hoses & a new belt on it. I could hear what sounded like a sticky valve lifter, but not really loud & in about a minute, it was gone. My wife noticed that it had smoke out the tailpipe, but I think it was just condensation. The salesman also said it was condensation because its been sitting for about a week without a startup, but after all, he is a used car salesman.

Now here's the thing about it. They are asking for a starting price of $4,500. The price is lower than what I thought it would be, but its at that price because the mileage is up there. The Od is showing 213,000 miles. The salesman said its at $4,500 because the miles are high. He said if it had around 140 or 150K it would price out around $10,000. And he did ad that we could talk price if I really want to buy it otherwise it would just be conversation. I asked him if we could somehow arrange for me to take it to my mechanic for a lookover. I told him I'm twenty miles away & I told him which town I'm in. He said no problem. He would let me take it down to my mechanic for a look over because he was confident there was nothing wrong with it.

Kelly Blue Book show that avg. miles on a 2005 Ram is 111,000. miles. So this truck is at 213,000 miles. Based on KBB values, the dealer is in the zone on what it's worth. He is asking $4,500 but the KBB fair value is $4,158. So there may be some room here for negotiation on price.
    I've seen 2004 & 2005-6 trucks with as high as 250 to 310,000 miles on the od at car auctions. Its really hard for me to believe that anything over 150K is not a worn out engine. My mechanic says that "yes 213K is high, but he's seen truck engines go beyond 300K with no major issues. The question always becomes what is going to fail internally-and when. There's just no way of knowing, so all you can do is give it a general mechanical inspection & either accept or reject the risk, but no one really knows what will happen.

So would I be nuts to buy this truck, even if my mechanic says it looks good & if I can get it down closer to $4,000. And I need a truck right now to pick up lumber, bags of concrete, landscaping materials. Yes I can pay home delivery charges, but on some of these small amounts, the delivery fees will be higher than the material. Has anyone else been in this situation & what would you do. Really 213,000 miles. Should I worry about high miles. And the other thing is- what about the transmission & rear end. We always focus on the engine, but I think the tranny is usually the weak link. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    The only reason I'd take a vehicle to my own mechanic would be because I'd trust him (as well as pay him) to give me his honest opinion. Your's gave you his. So I guess my question would be "Do you trust your own mechanic or not?".

Around here, any truck that runs and will pass inspection will fetch $2000-$2500 minimum. And I've seen some pretty rough trucks that have sold for that. I wouldn't even blink at $4K for a truck in decent condition.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 09:30 AM
    Thanks
    Cash 4 clunkers drove the used market up.
    DRobinson likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Worked 8 yrs at a Dodge dealership. I drive Chevy/GMC. The only reason I'd EVER buy a Dodge would be if I desperately needed a Cummins Diesel for some unworldly reason. I'm not trying to start a fight with anybody, just giving you MY opinion as a lifelong mechanic. Take it any way you want.
    tj1 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Just before moving from Georgia to Ohio this year, my neighbor sold me her 2002 Ford F150 XLT with 197k miles for $2,500. Since July, I've added 2,000 miles and my only investment has been four new tires and gasoline. She owned it about five years and drove it less than 1,500 miles the entire time. There is not an once of rust anywhere, the body and paint are nearly perfect and the interior looks brand new. Nobody would believe this truck has nearly 200k on the clock! The only drawback is that it's 2WD so it will be my "fair weather barn truck" and not driven much in the snow. I happen to own two other 4WD trucks that are better suited to Ohio winters.

Here's my view- as long as the body is in good shape, there's evidence the truck has been well maintained and the price is right, don't be concerned about high mileage. I'd almost consider investing in an engine rebuild (or crate motor), transmission rebuild, etc. if anything major happened.
    tj1 likes this.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    Worked 8 yrs at a Dodge dealership. I drive Chevy/GMC. The only reason I'd EVER buy a Dodge would be if I desperately needed a Cummins Diesel for some unworldly reason. I'm not trying to start a fight with anybody, just giving you MY opinion as a lifelong mechanic. Take it any way you want.
    The truck I'm looking at is a Ram 1500 with a V8 engine. Are you saying that the Dodge V8 is not a good motor? Can you explain that a little better to me. Thanks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    The truck I'm looking at is a Ram 1500 with a V8 engine. Are you saying that the Dodge V8 is not a good motor? Can you explain that a little better to me. Thanks
    MD,

The main complaints about the Rams are rusty doors, weird wiring issues and a steering design defect that fiat is fixing on a recall. The 5.9 gas engines do have a tendency to detonate on 87 regular. The 5.2's not so much.

It all depends what kind of driving racked up the miles, 65 mph on the highway is a lot less engine hours than 15 mph in the city. I would not be scared of 210k on a highway truck, my W250 Dodge has 321k + and the odometer stopped working 4 years ago
    Maddog and tj1 like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (10-01-2015)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 AM
    Thanks
    It sounds like you plan on using the truck as a beater. If you're having trouble finding a truck with a long bed, then this may be what you're looking for.

A buddy of mine has a '91 Chevy 2500 4x4 long bed that he bought as a beater for around the house. Even with repairs, he's gotten his money's worth out of it as it was beat to schitt when he bought it. Every time he repairs the thing, we joke that he's doubled or tripled the value of the truck.

I guess you could offer the dealer $3,500 and if he wants to clear his books of inventory, he'll take the offer. Maybe go $4,000 tops. I guess it all depends on what you want it to do, how much you trust your mechanic, how badly you want or need a work truck, etc.
    Maddog and mtrmn like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

Maddog (10-01-2015)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I would go over the truck very carefully on your own as well as turn it over to a mechanic. See if your mechanic will even walk you through his inspection and show you what he finds. Whether the truck was well maintained or it was over worked, it will be obvious. IMHO, mileage doesn't matter as much any more as does how well a vehicle was taken care of by previous owners.

Either way, you have to accept that all machines are effectively time-bombs with a typically unknown expiration date... It might be next week, maybe it will be 10 years from now. It may die a slow death over a period of nearly a decade like my 30 year old F150, or it may spectacularly shred itself and catch fire like my brother's five year old Explorer. But that's the fun part of buying and owning a high-mileage truck! Every time you turn the key is like playing a round of Russian roulette!

Another few tips:
    Pull back the weather stripping around the doors and windows to check for paint seams indicating body work. You can also check the fenders and cab corners with a magnet; a magnet won't stick to bondo.
    Look up the build codes on the door to make sure it has the axle and suspension packages that will work with what you want to use the truck for.
    A worn brake petal is a good sign of lots of stop and go driving.

Good luck!
    mjncad, Maddog and Dingeryote like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    I actually said nothing about the engines, other than insinuating the Cummins is the only thing that has saved them from extinction. The older design Dodge gas engines (318, 360, etc in the late 80's/early 90's-NOT the later hemi or V10) were actually pretty tough. Many of the later engines had extensive valve train noise/failure problems due to the push rod design angle etc. You did mention hearing some valve train noise if I recall correctly.

I am giving you my honest opinion here. The Dodge trucks are junk from the get-go. Not necessarily due to the engines except in later gas-burners. It's the REST of the vehicle that is junk. Here in La it is extremely rare to even see an older body style Dodge in the wild (pre-94). Most of the newer models I see with any miles on them at all seem to be 3/4 or 1-tons with the Cummins. That engine tends to make people overlook the rest of the shortcomings of the vehicle it seems. And HOPEfully the newer drivetrains are better than the junk they used in the earlier years of the Cummins. The truck you asked about doesn't have the Cummins, therefore the 1 and only ray of hope it may have had doesn't exist.

Just hold out for something better. Ford or Chevy. In Chevy, something "88 and up. In those years, 88-90, the ext cab and long bed seemed to be pretty popular. I have an 88 ext cab w/long bed that has somewhere around 285k on it and the only reason it's not in use today is the cab got FUBAR'd in a wreck and not worth fixing. And talk about simple to work on.......
    mjncad and tj1 like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast