Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Need a new truck battery

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks

Need a new truck battery

I've been running dual Optima redtops for years, but the truck sitts for long stretches on a tender, and I'm finding these spiral-cell batteries aren't holding up like they used to. So I'm thinking of just replacing with a single really good battery. I've had some advice from friends. some say go cheap like Walmart (as if I'd be seen there!) or Autozone (some say the same batteries as walmart rebadged) and some say go Diehard Platinum from Sears with 48month replacement warranty ($50 more than anyone else)

So what do you guys think? Whats the best breakpoint between Price/Quality/Warranty and ease of replacement if necessary (not going to Johnny's Cheap Battery shop over on South Main St) ?
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Previous: 2012 JD 1026R, R3 turf, H-120 FEL, 7-iron 60D MMM
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter
    Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, JD10 Cart, Countyline 25 ton splitter
    Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; BR600 Magnum
    Critters: Bees, Chickens, Maremmas

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    The BEST battery hands down that I've ever had was a Sears Diehard, that thing lasted forever, Sears left, need a battery bought an Interstate. I have no idea what was wrong but that sucker would die EVERY 6 months. Their tech could find nothing wrong with the truck, and just kept replacing them with new ones.

That truck is long gone, the new one had a the factory junk from Chevy, replaced it with an Interstate. The way it's acting, I'll be lucky IF it lasts through it's warranty expiration before it dies. I can't tell you what the best is, but I would encourage you to steer clear of Interstate.

A question: Do the tenders with the desulfator make a difference? I've seen articles but have no experience with them.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    That truck is long gone, the new one had a the factory junk from Chevy, replaced it with an Interstate. The way it's acting, I'll be lucky IF it lasts through it's warranty expiration before it dies. I can't tell you what the best is, but I would encourage you to steer clear of Interstate.
    I have diesel trucks, have had the same problem with Interstate batteries, kept getting them replaced under the warranty. Finally went to an interstate dealership, they replaced the batteries with a model that has more lead in it. These batteries have lasted 3 years and seem to be doing fine, I think they have some good batteries but you are at the mercy of the
    person doing the recommendations.

Haven't put the Walmart batteries in my truck, but their batteries last longer than the JD batteries shipped in their equipment and consumer reports always rates them high on the list.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2025r fel snowblower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

I've used Deka batteries for years in my Diesels. At one time East Penn was the supplier for Sears Die Hard however, I don't know if that is still the case.

Tom

East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    I put two new Interstates in my truck back in March, so far so good. Jason found a battery from Batteries Plus that he was pretty excited about, there's a thread about it on here somewhere.

I put a local rebuilt battery in the tractor. A group 31 cost $60, and had a 12 month warranty. The warranty on a new Interstate was only 18 months and it was double the price. That might be an option as well if you have a local battery shop.
    mjncad likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    The BEST battery hands down that I've ever had was a Sears Diehard, that thing lasted forever, Sears left, need a battery bought an Interstate. I have no idea what was wrong but that sucker would die EVERY 6 months. Their tech could find nothing wrong with the truck, and just kept replacing them with new ones.

A question: Do the tenders with the desulfator make a difference? I've seen articles but have no experience with them.
    I am not familiar with a desulfator, but I've had a battery tender for years for my motorcycle, and the tractor, and now my truck as well.
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

I've used Deka batteries for years in my Diesels. At one time East Penn was the supplier for Sears Die Hard however, I don't know if that is still the case.

Tom

East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer
    How Ironic,
    East Penn Manufacturing is from my neck of Pennsylvania, however, do you think I could find anyone nearby that sells DEKA batteries? I see Lowes hs some listed, but it looks like they are farm and mower batteries.
    Randy

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    I had more problems with expensive battery over the winter than with cheap onesI would buy one that is easy to return if go bad I just replace my optima 2 year old with a napa

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    I gave up the battery hunt game,,, and go to Sams Club first,,, 95% of the time they have what I need.

For some reason, Sams did not have the battery for our 2007 Colorado,,, Advance Auto got that sale.

I am disappointed with how short the warranty is now on batteries,,, typically 3 years.

I get 6-8 years out of tractor batteries, 4 years out of car/truck batteries.

I have a LOT of batteries,,,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransx77 View Post
    How Ironic,
    East Penn Manufacturing is from my neck of Pennsylvania, however, do you think I could find anyone nearby that sells DEKA batteries? I see Lowes hs some listed, but it looks like they are farm and mower batteries.
    Being I used to live in that area - East Penn used to have an outlet store - don't know if they still do.

I think the whole battery thing is a gamble. Last winter I replaced my factory Ford battery after 6 years - not bad. I ended up getting one from the dealer. Same price and warranty as everyone else except they offer free towing to the nearest dealer for a battery related problem under warranty. I liked that because I really hesitate to jump anyone or get a jump with all the electronics in these newer vehicles. If the battery dies I would just as soon have it towed in rather than chancing frying the $2800.00 NAV system or something like that.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast