Can you negotiate on new trailers?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you negotiate on new trailers?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-30-2018 @ 05:54 PM
    Thanks

Can you negotiate on new trailers?

Just sold my 5x8 utility and need to get something big enough for the 2320. Budget is tight. Looked at Carry-on 7x14 tandem at
    local place, but he wanted $2500. Seems high for a trailer that size and Carry-on is sort of entry level. Looking at used too, but most of the local tandems are WELL used and they still want 17-1800. Can prices on new ones be negotiated? Thanks for the input.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, but I have not had much luck getting much more than 10% off unless I really work at it.

Brian

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

Buying A New Trailer

I just bought a new 5X10, tilt, with new spare tire, PJ Trailer made in Texas for $1,249. It has a 3,500 pound axle. The dealer said, this was the last of the ones that he could sell, without the new $100 fuel surcharge to the northwest. Their shipping charges have gone up with the higher cost of diesel. My 1026R with the FEL fits on it fine. I too looked locally and found used trailers were either over priced or were junk. There really isn't a lot of money to be made on these low cost trailers, so there isn't much discount they can give you. Some will give you a percentage reduction for cash Vs. the on credit purchase. There is also a "document fee" cost you can get a reduction or elimination on. The dealership let me have the spare for their cost. I also pre-shopped with another trailer business and made sure I got the cheapest price ($50 less) for the same trailer. This one too has a three year warranty. Trailers spend most of their time sitting, so the fancy chrome and such is a waste of money IMO. Good luck with your quest

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2365 For This Useful Post:

has15 (03-28-2012)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Good post Barry
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    Berry hit the nail on the head. There's always 'wiggle room', but very little for trailers. Last trailer I got I struggled to get 7%. I am going to go look at and try and deal on a new trailer to haul the 110 Saturday, so we shall see. I'd be looking at a much bigger trailer, though - 20', 14k lb so my price may still be better because of the larger price and more room to negotiate.
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Barry, appreciate the info. No problems towing your 1026 ona single axle trailer? I have been thinking about going with a single axle and adding brakes as most of it's life will be spent as a utility trailer with the occasional, once per year, tractor transport.
    Steve

John Deere 1025r FiLB, with 53" bucket, 54" mower (sold), (sold) Imatch Quick Hitch, (sold)Frontier RB2060L and Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks (x2), HLA 1500 Snowpush.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-23-2016 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

Single Axle Towing

Quote Originally Posted by sbussell View Post
    Thanks Barry, appreciate the info. No problems towing your 1026 ona single axle trailer? I have been thinking about going with a single axle and adding brakes as most of it's life will be spent as a utility trailer with the occasional, once per year, tractor transport.
    No, I don't have any problem towing single axle. I'm well below the 3,500 axle rating of the trailer. The operating wet weight of the 1026 is 1,444 pounds. I use it to get my tractor/Gator/mower to/from the dealer for service. He's only 10 miles from my property. My JD dealer charges $50 for pickup and return delivery. That's also by their schedule. In the past, I've had my equipment tied up for a week or more using the JD dealer. Having my own trailer gives me a much faster turn around time. I use my 1999 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V-8, 1/2 ton truck with a 2" ball and 2" receiver. If one was regularly hauling heavier loads, longer distances at highway speeds, a twin axle, with brakes would be a must. It's also important to check your state's motor vehicle laws concerning trailers. They very widely concerning speed limits, brakes, loads, lights, etc. around the country. Remember too about anchor points and ratchet type tie downs. I use commerical grade tie downs, so the load isn't shifting or moving once loaded for travel. Safety can't be found on the cheap. Good luck

11. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, I don't have any problem towing single axle. I'm well below the 3,500 axle rating of the trailer. The operating wet weight of the 1026 is 1,444 pounds. I use it to get my tractor/Gator/mower to/from the dealer for service. He's only 10 miles from my property. My JD dealer charges $50 for pickup and return delivery. That's also by their schedule. In the past, I've had my equipment tied up for a week or more using the JD dealer. Having my own trailer gives me a much faster turn around time. I use my 1999 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V-8, 1/2 ton truck with a 2" ball and 2" receiver. If one was regularly hauling heavier loads, longer distances at highway speeds, a twin axle, with brakes would be a must. It's also important to check your state's motor vehicle laws concerning trailers. They very widely concerning speed limits, brakes, loads, lights, etc. around the country. Remember too about anchor points and ratchet type tie downs. I use commerical grade tie downs, so the load isn't shifting or moving once loaded for travel. Safety can't be found on the cheap. Good luck
    Just a friendly reminder, the weight you quoted is for a bare tractor. No mower, loader, loader brackets, etc.,etc. The extra goodies add up quick.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-21-2015 @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Just a friendly reminder, the weight you quoted is for a bare tractor. No mower, loader, loader brackets, etc.,etc. The extra goodies add up quick.
    After reading Barry's response to the question on his trailer being able to hold his tractor, I see that he intends now to only haul the bare tractor to get it serviced. I was originally puzzled also by him getting this small of trailer to tow his 1026R as I intend to use my eventual purchase to haul ALL my goodies to a lot that we own 20 miles away - which is why I am looking for a tandem axle trailer that is also larger. If he got the PJ trailer that I think he did, it only weighs about 1,000 pounds and would actually be able to haul his tractor with some extra goodies on it.

You are correct in pointing out to the readers that one size doesn't always fit all.

My experience thusfar on the new price negotiation is that the local dealers are willing to knock off $100-200 bucks at most - it's like they know that used trailers are still commanding top dollar so they are not going to budge much. Their pricing is very comparable to what I have been getting from the out-of-state dealers, and then I need to figure in my gas (and food) to go pick up those trailers.
    2012 1026R w/block heater, forward lighting kit w/Artillian Work Light Glare Shrouds, R4's, redesigned iMatch Cat 1 Quick Hitch plus HeavyHitch and Ballast Box
    H120 Loader w/53" bucket and Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks
    54D Mower w/AutoConnect PTO
    54" Quick-Hitch Front Blade w/Artillian Extension Wings
    Artillian Pallet Forks
    48" Kodiak Box Blade
    2010 Ztrak Z930A

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, appreciate all the comments. So far, I've only had one issue with my 2320 and that was a leaking lift cylinder o-ring which I fixed myself. My dealer would have fixed it, but they wanted $180, yes $180, round trip transport and they are 36ish miles from me.
    Still shopping, would like to go with 14' tandem, but I can't touch those for less than $2400. Single axles are $800-$1000 less.
    Steve

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast