I need some 'old guy advice'; Trucks vs Children and DRW vs SRW.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: I need some 'old guy advice'; Trucks vs Children and DRW vs SRW.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

I need some 'old guy advice'; Trucks vs Children and DRW vs SRW.

If someone were to make a movie about me, the F150 in my signature would be my plucky little sidekick. I have had that truck for the last half of it's life (mine too for that matter) and we have had a lot of adventures... but a half a million miles have worn the poor thing out. I have to admit, I'm a little apprehensive about replacing it. This must be what a child feels like when they get too old to sleep with their teddy bear.

I know more or less what I want. The nice thing is that just about anything will be an upgrade from what I have now. However, I still have a few questions that I'm trying to sort out so I can really narrow down my search. I have looked on truck specific forums where people have asked these same questions and those threads rapidly descend into stupidity and pointless brand-bashing. That being said, I am looking at low mileage mid '90's to early '00's Ford diesels.

1) Crew cab (fullsized 4-door cab) or super crew (cab and a half)? My wife tells me that soon we will need to produce our very own human larvae, so I guess this is more a question for those dads out there; which one will work better with a kid? Also, what is easier to clean, cloth or leather seats? I am of the understanding that these miniature humans are capable of making very large messes.

2) Dually vs single rear wheel? I am planning on getting an 8' box anyway and driving a plus sized truck isn't a problem. I know duallies suck in the snow which is why I didn't have one when I lived up north, but down in sub-tropical lower Michigan I'm not concerned about that. I plan on using this as a work truck (construction and remodeling) where I will be hauling the usual assortment of building materials and eventually have a dump trailer and a tool crib trailer. What are some of the pros/cons of dual rear wheels? Is the only difference a set of huge flares and a different wheel hub? Do I get beefier axles and brakes? Heavier transfer case? Bigger U-joints? The extra up keep of two more tires is negligible to me.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Extra cab is great for the dogs, clothes, tack, etc. It's usually too small to be comfortable for adults to sit back there for extended periods, especially the 94-97 Fords. The front seats have to slide forward to get in and out. In '99 they changed it a little, and the rear seat has doors that can be opened once the front doors are opened. I know the 94-97 trucks won't fit a car seat in the back, not sure about the newer ones. I would go full crew cab if you intend to have this truck for a while.

Dual is far more stable when towing, the four extra sidewalls resist flexing a lot better than just two tires. It's two more tires you have to buy though, and if the truck has aluminum wheels they're a pain to rotate. Ford only polished one side of the wheels, so if you put the rears on the front it'll look goofy. Might not be a big deal for you. I haven't noticed any difference in turning, parking, etc between the two. My dually does pretty well in the snow, though single wheel trucks are a lot more popular out here.

The dually will have a bigger rear axle, and usually a higher GVWR. When I lived in TN the emissions testing stopped at 12,001 lbs GVWR. My truck was 12,500- if it had been single wheel the rating would've been low enough I would've been subject to the emission requirements. May be worth checking on in your area. The rest of the power train will be the same. The rear axle is also a different width vs a single wheel truck and the front axle will have adapters to fit the dually rims.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    The road I live on (about 20 miles of farms,,,) is populated by 30% dualies,,,

MAYBE 3 times a year,,
    one of those dualies will roll by with a load of round bales I could not haul.

The rest of the year, those dualie owners spend riding the ditch because the truck is too wide.

You are selecting a precarious year period,,,
    the early 2000's was when they produced a lot of 3 door trucks.

Consider holding out for a 4 door,,, cleaning is a LOT easier,,,,

My wife always called this (and the 1989 K-5 Blazer) a ONE-DOOR Truck,,,

There was only one door the kids could get in or out,,,, hers!!
    Heed the warning,, get 4 doors,, it makes the family MUCH happier,,,,

I NEVER (almost) haul in the bed of the truck,,,
    when I bought this truck, I purchased a dump trailer,,,
    the dump trailer will haul >3X what any pickup will haul,,
    and ,,, I do not have to worry about dents,,,,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    old guy checking in. Get a crewcab four door, sounds like you keep a truck a LOOOOOONG time. Those cute little tikes will grow like weeds.
    Skip the dually, wife will thank you when she has to park it. Leather seats seems to mean front leather, rear vinyl = easier cleaning
    Levi, BigJim55 and Evergreen like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    A clarification- the 94-97 (Old Body Style) extended cab Fords won't fit car seats. The crew cabs will. CAD makes a good pint as well about the three doors. I know the '03+ trucks have two doors for the extended cab, 99-02 may only have one on the driver side. I can't recall exactly but now that he mentions it, that seems right.

If I were you I'd look at 99+ trucks. The OBS have developed a following and prices are stupid in parts of the country. A clean 97 will bring as much as an 01 and sell faster. The 99+ trucks get you a factory intercooler, better air and exhaust system, four wheel disk brakes, better headlights, transmissions, and clutch design if you're considering a manual. The OBS trucks didn't have an option for leather interiors, SD (99+) do in the Lariat package with the auto trans and all the power options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449155438.397988.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	93633

We haul similar loads, my truck is a flatbed DRW and my buddy has a SRW. I can get 220-230 bales per load and he can get 180-190. My trailer is just a little longer, but they're essentially the same load. My truck feels much, much more stable going down the road especially in the wind. It's not that he can't haul it, but the DRW does it better and with a 15,000 lb load you can tell. Both trucks are narrower than their mirrors, which are the same width. The extra width of a dually is a perception problem more than a practical one.

Oh, and with a flatbed I don't worry about bed dents much either.
    mjncad, Zebrafive, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    1) Crew cab (fullsized 4-door cab) or super crew (cab and a half)? My wife tells me that soon we will need to produce our very own human larvae, so I guess this is more a question for those dads out there; which one will work better with a kid? Also, what is easier to clean, cloth or leather seats? I am of the understanding that these miniature humans are capable of making very large messes.
    I can't help with much out of your list of questions, except the cab size. I've had them all, and with kids there is nothing easier than the full-sized 4 door cab. It starts early when the crumb crunchers are in the1st nymph stage, and by law bound to the rear facing car seat. I would highly suggest you get one with a stationary base as it's way easier to navigate and latch. If the kid is cranky and Mom (or Dad) moves to the back seat, you need space for your body AND the accompanying tools/hardware.

In the 2nd nymph stage, the extra space will be valued as the tool set expands. Their limbs are flailing and the need space increases. Now rather than having the nymph bound up in a detachable RFCS, they are in a front facing seat, and of course all kids love to climb, including into the seat. Summer is not bad, but winter and spring can be the worst.

By the time the 3rd nymph stage is reach, the nymph will not be more independent and will "want to do it by their-self" and the extra space will be valued as the nymph will need to navigate between the truck seat and carseat/booster. Especially when the nymph approaches molting and moves from season to season. If you are road-tripping family, keep in mind the expanding accompanying tools/hardware AND educational nuggets to help occupy the time of said nymph.

The 4th nymph stage is great and the extra door will be valued as you can herd them into the back, close the door and they can get situated and ready for takeoff in about the same time you can.

Messes? Oh lord, you've not seen anything yet. I'm pretty picky about my truck, including the rear seat, but when the booster seat is removed, I swear to god it looks like a smorgasbord, it's AMAZING how much stuff finds it's way out of their hands. Of course my wife supports full on grazing while driving and I attribute most of this to her. I've only had cloth seats, but a good shop vac and cleaner goes along way to keeping it relatively healthy. I'd spring for the stain guard treatment.

All the best.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    That being said, I am looking at low mileage mid '90's to early '00's Ford diesels.
    Go look at the trucks available in that year range and I think it'll be pretty clear to you as far as the crew cab vs. extended cab question.

I had a 2002 F250 extended cab and while I probably could have squeezed a child seat back there, it wouldn't have been fun. The rear doors were small and it didn't have a full-sized rear seat.

On the new trucks the choice between crew cab and extended cab is pretty much a toss up. They've made the rear doors and seats on the extended cabs larger and there is very little difference left between them. But in the year ranges you've listed, the difference is huge.
    56FordGuy, Zebrafive, Levi and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I tend to drive trucks until they are effective dead, then nurse them along for another couple of years. The more responses I read, the more I realized how much a big four door cab makes sense. It looks like I'm on the hunt for a crew cab then since in all likelihood I will be both a dad and the truck's final owner.

The added size of a dually isn't an issue. I spent several years hauling oversized earthmoving equipment and driving dump trucks. After driving a Mack for a while, pickups feel like toys. A dually isn't going to frighten off my wife either. Actually, she isn't intimidated by any vehicle so long as she can follow her three favorite rules of the road; "What's behind you doesn't matter" (aka, 'the first rule of Italian driving'), "tires are evil and they must be punished", and "if the bumper will fit, the fenders will flex". She would make one heck of a rally driver. Fortunately she likes her little car more than any truck so she would only end up driving it in rare instances.

I have noticed that dualies don't seem to carry any kind of premium over their SRW counterparts. I also like the idea of heavy duty parts. I suspect that this truck will be hauling or towing at least 50% of the time.
    Last edited by Evergreen; 12-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    mjncad, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Several of the neighbors have owned supercabs,,,small entry to the rear seats, opening front doors to put anything in the rear area.. PIA.

Neighbor just got his new truck about 2 weeks ago , new F150 Lariat 4door. Just asked him yesterday how he liked the 4 door instead of the supercab.. his reply "Don't know why I didn't do this 10 yrs ago.

Neighbor across the way owned a dually truck , has a portable sawmill so always hauling in logs with his 5th wheel trailer. Noticed this spring why he traded and went from 1ton dually to 3/4 ton single axle. Had the dually about 18 months had gone thru factory tires and ready for another set on the rear. The truck before the dually no problems of tires wearing out that quick. So far he hasn't changed tires and he's not planning on new tires for the winter. He also said the ride on the 3/4 ton was a lot nicer ride than the 1 ton.
    My brother owned a King Rancher. he said never again using it as a work truck. When he traded last year , went with plane jane truck. NO Carpet , No Leather seats. Has vinyl or rubber floor instead of carpet . He can take a garden hose to clean the floor of truck. He has grandkids and yes like any kids they make a mess I know our has.
    Go to a dealer and check them out , don't rush into something you'll regret later on down the road.
    Last edited by etcallhome; 12-03-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    mjncad, Zebrafive, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 994 Posts
    If someone were to make a movie about me, the F150 in my signature would be my plucky little sidekick. I have had that truck for the last half of it's life (mine too for that matter) and we have had a lot of adventures... but a half a million miles have worn the poor thing out. I have to admit, I'm a little apprehensive about replacing it. This must be what a child feels like when they get too old to sleep with their teddy bear.

I know more or less what I want. The nice thing is that just about anything will be an upgrade from what I have now. However, I still have a few questions that I'm trying to sort out so I can really narrow down my search. I have looked on truck specific forums where people have asked these same questions and those threads rapidly descend into stupidity and pointless brand-bashing. That being said, I am looking at low mileage mid '90's to early '00's Ford diesels.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
    If you can go leather, go leather.
    That's the only regret I have about my XLT F 150, always have to be conscious if I have some grease or other
    crud on me before I jump in, I carry a thick beach towel behind the seat on the floorboard just in case, PIA.
    Think seriously about a 4X4 also since you live in the "northern lands", I like it because I live in the "mud lands".
    I have a super crew because of no kids and just me and my wife, otherwise I would have a fullsized 4-door.
    mjncad, ColonyPark, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast