Like Tree48Likes

Thread: tire sensors

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

tire sensors

I am looking for a spare set of rims for my chevy-2006 Silverado 4x4. can I use the type of rims that have these tire sensors on my truck, evenlo I don't have any on my present truck rims. how does these things work, our Honda pilot has them, they let u know if ur air pressure is low-correct. can I buy the newer rims that are for sale and not use these hick-am-jeems! I have found some really nice rims out their for sale, but most have these sensors with them. are they mounted in the rims? if so then their is a extra hole in the rim-right. enlighten me with the right info on this. thanks big jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    I have 2 vehicles that use the Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems. The sensor just replaces the usual air valve. There are no extra hole on any of my wheels. The wheels themselves are the same whether you have the sensors or not.

If you buy wheels that have the sensors but your truck isn't setup for them, they won't hurt anything. The senors will just be ignored. You could also just have the TPMS sensors removed and have regular valve stems put in.
    Zebrafive, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    I just did this. I have a 03 Avalanche which is my beater vehicle. The Aluminum rims were junk and leaking around the valve stems. I found a really nice set of take offs on Craigs List from a 2011 Tahoe which has tire pressure monitors. What was it everything 2007 and newer had to have them because of EPA? Something like that. Anyhow GM just has a sensor built into the base of the valve stem. If you were worried about it you could put regular stems in them when they mount tires. Or just run with it. They will transmit a signal (if the battery is still good) but there is nothing in your truck to receive it. No harm.

Now most vehicles use a transmit type sensor. Sometimes it is in a valve stem some times it is a band around the rim. Some cars however use other sensors. For instance some years of VW vehicles use data from the ABS system. If a tire is low it will turn at a different speed than the others. Since ABS monitors wheel speed and compares them to determine if a wheel has locked up, it can also be used to detect a difference in RPM compared to other wheels. That data along with steering wheel position sensor will determine that you are going straight and if that difference is outside a certain % and will trigger a low pressure alarm. The problem with this type of system though is that it is common for tire pressures to drop along with the temps. If the temp drops and the pressure drops in all 4 tires, then they are all possibly low and it may not trip the alert. The benefit is no reprogramming the system when you rotate tires and no batteries to go bad every couple years.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    What was it everything 2007 and newer had to have them because of EPA?
    The change went in in 2007 or 2008. I think it's a National Highway Safety Administration thing. The same folks that handle safety recalls and mandated seatbelts. I know that here in MA if the car came with factory TPMS and you put regular valve stems in, the system won't be working and they will fail you on your annual safety inspection.

For the most part I like the TPMS idea but they can be a PITA at times too.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The change went in in 2007 or 2008. I think it's a National Highway Safety Administration thing. The same folks that handle safety recalls and mandated seatbelts. I know that here in MA if the car came with factory TPMS and you put regular valve stems in, the system won't be working and they will fail you on your annual safety inspection.

For the most part I like the TPMS idea but they can be a PITA at times too.
    Maybe it was. I was thinking EPA because low tire pressure reduces MPG. Not sure. Either way it was a mandate by the Government. I thought it was funny because every car company started listing it as a feature around the time when they were required.

We don't have vehicle inspections in MN. In my 09 TDI Jetta, I don't have tire pressure sensors in my winter rims. So then the idiot light comes on. I use my VCDS (programming tool) to disable the light so I don't have to look at it all winter. Then in the spring when I go back to my normal summer rims, I turn it back on. If I had a 2010, it would have the ABS monitoring system so it would work with either sets of tires. I have read that with the VCDS I can recode the computers in the 09 to enable the ABS monitor. I guess all the parts are there to make it work that way but it isn't enabled. There is more to it than checking a box so I haven't done it yet. I keep saying one of these days I will try and do this but never have yet.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Not sure how different Chevy is from Ford but...

I have a second set of wheels I use for winter. I bought the tire pressure sensors with valve stems (special valve stems that attach to the sensors) on Ebay for a good price. I opted for the genuine Ford sensors and stems but I think there are now aftermarket available. I just took the sensors/stems with me to the tire shop and they installed them in my wheels when they mounted my tires.

Now with Ford you have to train the sensors to the computer so I bought a training tool (like a little remote control) on ebay also for ~$20. The process to train the new sensors is pretty simple which is in the owners manual. Now each time I switch from summer to winter wheels or back I have to train the sensors again which only takes 5 minutes.

It's either that or put up with the annoying TPMS idiot light on the dash constantly.
    Zebrafive, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Not sure how different Chevy is from Ford but...

I have a second set of wheels I use for winter. I bought the tire pressure sensors with valve stems (special valve stems that attach to the sensors) on Ebay for a good price. I opted for the genuine Ford sensors and stems but I think there are now aftermarket available. I just took the sensors/stems with me to the tire shop and they installed them in my wheels when they mounted my tires.

Now with Ford you have to train the sensors to the computer so I bought a training tool (like a little remote control) on ebay also for ~$20. The process to train the new sensors is pretty simple which is in the owners manual. Now each time I switch from summer to winter wheels or back I have to train the sensors again which only takes 5 minutes.

It's either that or put up with the annoying TPMS idiot light on the dash constantly.
    It doesn't apply to the OP as his 06 won't have the system in the truck.

On our 2011 Yukon, we have to retrain the truck when we rotate the tires. It can be done with a special tool which is what the dealer and tire shops use. I kind of wonder if there is a universal one. If you don't have one and rotate your tires at home you can do it with a GM. It is in the owners manual but you have to do something like cycle the ignition, then start at the driver's front tire and work your way around the vehicle clockwise. You let out air from the tire. Manual says something like 5-10psi and eventually the horn honks. Then you go to the next tire and do the same. Keep doing this until you have reset all 4 tires. Best part is then you get to go back around to each tire and put air back in them. Well at least they have a means for doing it without going to a shop.
    BigJim55 likes this.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-18-2019 @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    I am looking for a spare set of rims for my chevy-2006 Silverado 4x4. can I use the type of rims that have these tire sensors on my truck, evenlo I don't have any on my present truck rims. how does these things work, our Honda pilot has them, they let u know if ur air pressure is low-correct. can I buy the newer rims that are for sale and not use these hick-am-jeems! I have found some really nice rims out their for sale, but most have these sensors with them. are they mounted in the rims? if so then their is a extra hole in the rim-right. enlighten me with the right info on this. thanks big jim
    They will work fine.
    Suggest they be replaced with rubber valve stems. Especially if the TPMS stems are aluminum.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Current: 3320 HST cab with 59" front blower, Hydraulic chute deflector, Vertical Exhaust, Front Fenders,
    Grooved and loaded Front and Rear R-4's
    External Mirrors, Jensen Bluetooth Radio / Headset. Front Hydraulics
    Whelen warning lights, JD366 front blade
    Gone: X595 with heated cozy cab,stainless vertical exhaust

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dzldanz View Post
    They will work fine.
    Suggest they be replaced with rubber valve stems. Especially if the TPMS stems are aluminum.
    Yes they break pretty easy in the winter. Then you can tell the air is out of the tire.
    DRobinson, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    It doesn't apply to the OP as his 06 won't have the system in the truck.
    OK - had to reread - my eyes were going faster than my brain this morning.....

Too bad you aren't looking for Ford wheels - I have 2 sets of aluminum wheels that I would like to eventually sell to buy myself a set of black wheels.
    Last edited by coaltrain; 02-02-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast