Trailer bearings before cross country road trip?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Trailer bearings before cross country road trip?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks

Trailer bearings before cross country road trip?

I have a 16'x6'10" 7k utility trailer that I bought new in 2013, since then I have probably put 2500 miles on it or so with no issues at all. I keep the bearings greased regularly through the ez-lube hubs but have not removed the hubs to inspect the bearings. I will be carrying probably 4k on the trailer and wonder if i should replace the bearings and races or just let them be the trip will be 4000 Miles with the last thousand miles of that being through Alberta and British Columbia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    I would jack each wheel up, inspect for excessive free-play, adjust as needed, and adjust the brakes as needed too. Give each hub some grease and enjoy your trip.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    If your concerned, get a cheap IR temperature gauge, then take a trip at highway speeds for 30 minutes and then check the temps of the tires, rims, and hubs for anything abnormal. This of course in addition to what Jason wrote-not instead of.

Also, make you have a spare or two, and the tools needed to change on the road-trailer tires are notorious for blowouts, all are made in China nowadays.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Cannot add to what has been posted. If you're really worried, take a set (or 2)of bearings with ya.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbacklash View Post
    I have a 16'x6'10" 7k utility trailer that I bought new in 2013, since then I have probably put 2500 miles on it or so with no issues at all. I keep the bearings greased regularly through the ez-lube hubs but have not removed the hubs to inspect the bearings. I will be carrying probably 4k on the trailer and wonder if i should replace the bearings and races or just let them be the trip will be 4000 Miles with the last thousand miles of that being through Alberta and British Columbia.
    Sorry just have to say this,,, WOW a 16' Wide trailer and it's only 6'10" L NA

I bet its a 6'10" x16'
    DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,097 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Cannot add to what has been posted. If you're really worried, take a set (or 2)of bearings with ya.
    Agreed - spare tire(s) and spare bearing sets with the tools to change them out. Inspect tires and feel heat of hubs at every stop.
    etcallhome, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    It wouldn't hurt to pull the hubs to get a look at the grease. If the grease looks like new simply put it back together. If any sign of water, rust, or any other discoloring is noticed. Repack and or replace the bearings. It's a good idea to have a spare hub / bearing , grease, and tools with you. It's unlikely a bearing will fail if you have a spare on hand.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    If there isn't any excessive play in the hub, grease it like you have been doing and don't worry about it. I have gotten at least 10,000 to 15,000 miles out of most of my trailer bearings just by pulling and packing them by hand once or twice a year.
    etcallhome, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise I have one spare and will probably grab another. I will definitely check the play in the bearings and probably rotate the tires while I'm at it what do y'all do x pattern or front to rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbacklash View Post
    Thanks for the advise I have one spare and will probably grab another. I will definitely check the play in the bearings and probably rotate the tires while I'm at it what do y'all do x pattern or front to rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah 2 spares, 2 sets of bearings, 1 hub brake drum, a low jack, couple of wooden timbers too. aw-yeah I would probably take my road toolbox, to perform these duties. one last thing, a spare axle nut and a flat file, in case u don't catch the wheel coming off the axle quick enough, ur need that new nut then and the file to fix the messed up threads. when I trucked I had lots of tools and 2 jacks. I fixed anything I could along the road, before letting anyone else do it. good luck and have a safe trip!!!
    rtgt likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast