Like Tree17Likes

Thread: F150 Diesel

1. Top | #1
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

F150 Diesel

Seen on Motor Trend Ford is testing what is believed to be a 3L V-6 diesel (Land Rover) in the F150 with what they believe to be a mid-summer launch. New transmission as well. Hp and Tq were rumored to by 2xx HP and 4xx torque.

We'll have to wait and see if this information is true.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Gotta keep up with Nissan and Ram.
    etcallhome likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    I just hope this will not be screwed up like the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7L have been. To bad, as Ford used to be a GREAT truck. 6.0l would have been great, except for the poor sealing head gaskets(4 bolt heads vs 6 bolt heads in the 7.3),and lack of appropriate cooling on cyl, 7 & 8. Of course the side loading of the original injectors was an issue too. Loved my 2003, but divorce got it before I had any issues. The 6.0 is a great engine with minor issues that turn major quickly. All related to EGTs. It can be made bulletproof, which Ford should have done in the first place.
    Levi likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    I just hope this will not be screwed up like the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7L have been. To bad, as Ford used to be a GREAT truck. 6.0l would have been great, except for the poor sealing head gaskets(4 bolt heads vs 6 bolt heads in the 7.3),and lack of appropriate cooling on cyl, 7 & 8. Of course the side loading of the original injectors was an issue too. Loved my 2003, but divorce got it before I had any issues. The 6.0 is a great engine with minor issues that turn major quickly. All related to EGTs. It can be made bulletproof, which Ford should have done in the first place.
    Ford should have had a recall on all 6.0s, and for any 6.0s that was bulletproofed they should have re-embursed the owner.. The only brand new vehicle I owned was a 05 F350 with the 6.oh no.. I had no plans on ever getting rid of it, but with all the 6.0 issues on the Powerstroke sites, it was time to get rid of my ticking time bomb.. A nice V10 showed up on local lot and I jumped on it..

Now, for the diesel engines in the half tons..... I just think its a waist of $$$ All the money you spend on the diesel engine will pay for a lot of gas. Then figure in the maintance costs and the gassers will come out on top. Now if your pulling a RV from state to state on a regular basis, then yes diesel is the way to go, and that will be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck..

I know a guy with a 1/2 ton Dodge, very nice truck, BUT I did see on a site that a oil change is like $300? Maybe that includes a fuel filter too, Im not sure, but $300 for oil change.... No thanks..
    etcallhome, DRobinson and Levi like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWT View Post
    Ford should have had a recall on all 6.0s, and for any 6.0s that was bulletproofed they should have re-embursed the owner.. The only brand new vehicle I owned was a 05 F350 with the 6.oh no.. I had no plans on ever getting rid of it, but with all the 6.0 issues on the Powerstroke sites, it was time to get rid of my ticking time bomb.. A nice V10 showed up on local lot and I jumped on it..

Now, for the diesel engines in the half tons..... I just think its a waist of $$$ All the money you spend on the diesel engine will pay for a lot of gas. Then figure in the maintance costs and the gassers will come out on top. Now if your pulling a RV from state to state on a regular basis, then yes diesel is the way to go, and that will be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck..

I know a guy with a 1/2 ton Dodge, very nice truck, BUT I did see on a site that a oil change is like $300? Maybe that includes a fuel filter too, Im not sure, but $300 for oil change.... No thanks..
    If someone is paying $300 for an oil change they are over paying by about $250

I love diesels but with more and more crap being put on them, I agree, they are to the point of not being worth the money....less one is willing to delete the EGR and DPF
    Levi likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Levi and Bill Berger like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    If someone is paying $300 for an oil change they are over paying by about $250

I love diesels but with more and more crap being put on them, I agree, they are to the point of not being worth the money....less one is willing to delete the EGR and DPF
    With 4 gallons of oil at $13-14 a gallon and $10 for a filter, I can't change the oil in my 7.3 for $50 doing the labor myself. I think the fuel filters for a 6.0 were over $100 way back when. It's no surprise that newer, more complex diesels are getting much more expensive to maintain.
    etcallhome, DRobinson and Levi like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    With 4 gallons of oil at $13-14 a gallon and $10 for a filter, I can't change the oil in my 7.3 for $50 doing the labor myself. I think the fuel filters for a 6.0 were over $100 way back when. It's no surprise that newer, more complex diesels are getting much more expensive to maintain.
    I was being slightly disingenuous but $300 is still way overpriced
    56FordGuy and Levi like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks

They may be requiring full synthetic oil in these new diesels. That is the major problem with these. Oil breaks down very quickly in engines using the oil as hydraulic fluid. In addition to breakdown of the oil you have all of the contaminates. Bypass filtration and full synthetics helps all of this but not entirely.

For a high quality synthetic you will pay about 6 to 10 per quart so that would be 120 bucks average for the oil alone. Filters are expensive. So worst case scenario you would be $175 to 200 to do it yourself. If you add good additives there is another 50-60 bucks. So it is not completely out or reach.

Filtration for fuel as well as adding additives for lubricity are needed for common rail HPFP units.

The 6.0 when built the right way was truly a bulletproof engine. Was where they should have stopped, if the gov't had not been so ridiculous.

The 6.7 with their ceramic bearings in the turbo was some idiot engineers way of making things better. That worked out sooo well. If you take off all the crap, it probably would live a long time.
    Levi likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks
    ~snip

I see you later said $200 but either way it doesn't shock me if that is at the dealer as part of a scheduled maintenance. I doubt it is just an oil change.

For instance on my Jetta TDI, oil changes are every 10K miles. I do it myself for about $60 at the dealer it is going to run at least $100. 20K is going to add fuel filter and it is about $100 for me and around $300 at the dealer. Even more if it is a 40K service and you need a transmission fluid change on the DSG cars. If it is just oil, it is a lot but I would imagine it is more to the service than that.
    Levi likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast