Trailer shopping . . . again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailer shopping . . . again

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-24-2013 @ 12:25 PM
    Thanks

Trailer shopping . . . again

For those of you that don't know, I unexpectantly sold my trailer. The old one was a 7k 16'+2' dove. Which worked great before I got my 110 and wanted to trailer it. Been looking at new trailers, but they come with a price. Stumbled upon a 20' 14k pound used trailer that looks to be in good condition on the local CL. Not as well known of a brand, but it looks like a well built trailer to me.
    20 Ft. 14,000 lb. GVW Trailer

There is also a place fairly close by that sells the same brand and has the same trailer listed on CL new, for only $700 more. Of course I would have to pay taxes for the new one, which would bump it up another ~$400, but I think I can still get a better deal on the used, or else I'd lean towards new.
    20' Equipment Trailer 14Kgvwr

Let me know what you think. Still haven't done a ton of research into them, but I think if I could get a good deal on the used one I could make something happen. I'd have to wait a while longer to swing a deal on the new.
    2005 Deere 110 TLB - 3rd function loader, 3 rear remotes, thumb, top n tilt
    2000 Deere 5410 - 541 SL loader, 2 rear remotes, canopy
    2005 Deere Diesel HPX Gator - homemade cab, snow plow, hydraulic dump
    1953 Farmall Cub - front plow
    1984 Ford F8000 - Cat 3208 Diesel, 5+2 transmission, 8 yard dump
    2006 GMC 4500 Topkick Pickup outfitted by Monroe Truck

Everyone has a fair turn to be as great as he pleases - Jeremy Collier

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,613 Posts
    The ad doesn't specify which axles (manufacturer) are used or whether both axles have brakes.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-11-2015 @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    I'd go new. You have a 1 year warranty with it.
    2012 1026R, 60D Auto-Connect MMM with mechanical lift, H120 FEL, Frontier RC2048 Rotary Cutter and my trusty Stihl FS55 grass and weed pulverizer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks
    I would go for the used trailer. It appears to be in like new condition plus you will save a substantial amount in the end.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    For those of you that don't know, I unexpectantly sold my trailer. The old one was a 7k 16'+2' dove. Which worked great before I got my 110 and wanted to trailer it. Been looking at new trailers, but they come with a price. Stumbled upon a 20' 14k pound used trailer that looks to be in good condition on the local CL. Not as well known of a brand, but it looks like a well built trailer to me.
    20 Ft. 14,000 lb. GVW Trailer

There is also a place fairly close by that sells the same brand and has the same trailer listed on CL new, for only $700 more. Of course I would have to pay taxes for the new one, which would bump it up another ~$400, but I think I can still get a better deal on the used, or else I'd lean towards new.
    20' Equipment Trailer 14Kgvwr

Let me know what you think. Still haven't done a ton of research into them, but I think if I could get a good deal on the used one I could make something happen. I'd have to wait a while longer to swing a deal on the new.
    IMO if I had the 110, I would look for a deck over trailer, that way you would not have the fenders in the way for loading from the side with the forks or grapple Suretrac is the company that sells to TSC, the trailers you are looking at are there upper line and I feel are good trailers.
    If you do come that far south to buy a trailer, let me know and I will drive east and we can get some coffee or what ever the thirst calls for.
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Jeremy, We need to talk. I dont have time now. PM me if I do nto get back with you tomorrow.

Brian

Brian

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'd agree, that for the current asking price, I'd go new for sure. I think if I could get it down to $2500 on the used, it would only be a $500 swing from my old trailer vs $2500+ for a new after taxes. Suretrac seems to be one of the less expensive models, similar PJ's I was looking at were $1,000+ more, but they were deckover. The deckover does add quite a bit to the cost, and they would likely be a $3000 swing. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the extra height of the deckover, seems like it wouldn't be as stable, maybe I'm paranoid, never towed a deckover bumper pull before. And another thing going for the used is it's right on my way up to the cabin, the new is a couple hour drive out of the way, no offense has I left a voice mail for the guy selling the used trailer, and hasn't called me back. I could pull off the $500 for sure, and maybe a little more than that, but I can't afford 5 times more than that on a new one right now as much as I'd like too.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Of those two exact trailers, I would evaluate the used one very closely. If it checked out, go for it. It looks to be in good shape, from that one picture. Hard to tell until you're underneath it, though. It also has the adjustable height coupler, which is an extra cost option on the new trailer. I sold my 18', 14k bumper pull like that for right around that price range and it was rougher than those two. I got it used from a construction company, you can imagine what they did to trailers.

On the other hand, if I wanted a trailer to haul a 110 or a 5410, I don't know if I would look at those. Like Jason said, they don't specify whether the brakes are on one axle or both, or the brand of axles. Most 14K trailers have brakes on both, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Working on trailers isn't hard, if you can get the parts. If they used a one off, cheap import axle assembly then you may have a tough time finding bearings and brake parts if you need them.

If you don't plan to tow it with the 4500, I would seriously look for a used 24', 14K gooseneck deckover. Speaking from lots of miles of experience, they will pull much better than that bumper pull will, even with a weight distributing hitch. The load is easier to balance, as well. I've had my 14k gooseneck loaded to about 19,000 lbs (trailer and load) and it settled the suspension on my truck about like having literally half that weight on my old bumper pull with a w/d hitch. The gooseneck trailer will weigh a bit more, but in my opinion that's offset by the fact that it distributes the load so much better. The deckover is a much more versatile trailer than the low boy type, anyway. You can side load it, and if you have something that's wider than the trailer it can hang off the sides.

Sounds like Brian may have something up his sleeves, too.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    When I was shopping earlier in the year (never made it all the way down to Kelley and Sons where the new trailer is) all the dealers stated that there was a new law in Michigan that any trailer over a certain GVWR had to have 4 wheel brakes. And one of the dealers was getting into it that they have single axel trailers that their axels are rated above the limit, but it would be illegal for them to sell at that GVWR because they only have two wheel brakes. Seems crazy to me, but that's just what I heard. So I would have to believe the new one would have the 4 wheel brakes, but I'm not sure on the used. Something I'll look for.

As far as the gooseneck goes. I totally here you. I've hauled goosenecks, and they are much more of a pleasure to tow. Don't need to worry as much about tongue weight and balancing the load and overall just drive better. But what I tow most of the time is just like my golf cart, four wheeler, motorcycles, lawn mowers and so forth, that I pull with my GMC Yukon. Just a lot easier to drive and easier on the gas. I'd really like a nice 30'+ gooseneck, but that's out of question for both what I'll be hauling with and they are pricey! (Well, these bumper pulls aren't to cheap either!)

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    But what I tow most of the time is just like my golf cart, four wheeler, motorcycles, lawn mowers and so forth, that I pull with my GMC Yukon. Just a lot easier to drive and easier on the gas. I'd really like a nice 30'+ gooseneck, but that's out of question for both what I'll be hauling with and they are pricey! (Well, these bumper pulls aren't to cheap either!)
    Go big or go home?
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast