Is a deck-over worth the extra money?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is a deck-over worth the extra money?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Is a deck-over worth the extra money?

It's come down to trailer shopping time. Materials are around 2K to build one, or I can buy used for a little more than that and be done with it.

I rented a 20' snowmobile trailer last year to move some building supplies and it was nice not having fenders to deal with, but the added deck height was noticed getting on and off it (I have bad knees). Center of gravity is more of my concern than getting on-off it.

When I hauled the tractor home from SD, I rented a skidsteer trailer, and it had a lower deck height and towed really nice.

Being able to move a 20' container on the trailer would be nice - so another vote for deck-over there. But I'm not sure how many of those I'd be moving besides possibly the one I already have.

I understand a grand or two in the big picture isn't much and I should get a quality trailer before getting too worked up over price. I'm also broke, so getting any money is going to cost me some interest in the short term.

Used deck-over's are few and far in my area, so I'm road tripping if I go used. We have a selection of trailer dealers, so I can work them against themselves if I end up going the new route.

I'll be using this to haul my tractor, with stump grinder, for paying jobs. I'll also use it to move finished lumber, and whole logs, as well as building materials from time to time as I work on the shop/house/outbuildings.

Renting is an option, but it's expensive and I'd be better off with my own trailer.

What to do?
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    I surprised you can build one for $2K, I am thinking double that.
    I would want low for easier towing/loading (unless side loading, or wider than the fenders)
    I have heard deck overs pull harder do to more resistance, load will be higher too
    If a gooseneck I would probably go deck over, but for bumper pull low as possible, meaning it will have fenders.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Jim,

Take a look at these Johnson Trailer Co. not to far from you and reasonably priced. I bought a car hauler there last year. LOL now I need a deckover.
    mjncad, Doug and BigJim55 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Axles are around 900, wheels/tires are another 400, springs 200, lighting is 50, a lunette ring is 40, and the rest is steel. There's just not that much steel in one of these.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    Axles are around 900, wheels/tires are another 400, springs 200, lighting is 50, a lunette ring is 40, and the rest is steel. There's just not that much steel in one of these.
    I'm ready to follow along on another of your projects. I vote you build it!
    etcallhome, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    7 Ton Deckover Trailer | Johnson Trailer Co.

So this is $5K with the dovetail and ramps, where I can use 8" junior I-beam and 4" channel and come out to $1500 for the steel at retail, but then get 5% off because of volume. Total cost: 3K give or take.
    Last edited by Jim Timber; 02-27-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, if you want to see it happen, I'm accepting donations.

I'm gonna be strapped pretty tight if I end up with the truck I bid on last week. Auction ends Wed at noon. Crossing my fingers I get it - the Tahoe can't pull my tractor. Well, it can't stop it anyway.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Are you set on a bumper pull, or would you consider a gooseneck? Obviously the Tahoe is out for a gooseneck, but it sounds like it can't haul your tractor regardless. Used deckover goosenecks are fairly reasonably priced, and common.

I love deckovers. You can load material from the side with a forklift, load stuff that's wider than the deck, etc. The only advantage of a 'standard' style is for low clearance equipment. I had a 14K 'car hauler' to move my forklift on for some work I used to do, it was ideal for that because even with big tires an industrial forklift only has 6-8" of ground clearance. When I shut that business down I swapped the low trailer for a deckover, it's a much better multi use trailer. The forklift would still go on it, but it might drag the ground if things weren't perfectly level.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	137945

I'd like to get rid of this trailer and move into something all around bigger. This one is ideal for the 5320 and an attachment, but I'd like to be able to move larger loads of hay and we're discussing a bigger tractor. I'd like to move into a 35-40', 22-24K rated one.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I want to stick with bumper pull because I don't want to need another bumper pull to go behind my C65 when the dump box gets added to it.

Goosneck would be nice for added hauling capacity and better turning.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    I highly recommend the deckover. You can do so many more things with it. Yes, it is higher off the ground and theoretically it has a higher CG, but I do not notice any problem there, at least with my 31ft tandem axle dually gooseneck. If there is any way you can swing a gooseneck, you will never be sorry. I just drove mine 790 miles today to pick up a disk that was so much cheaper than one local, that I could drive that far to pick it up and still save considerable money. The gooseneck trailer is so much more stable, that it takes all the stress out of pulling it. I remember when I picked up the 6ft brush hog I bought, using my 20ft straight trailer. It was 81 inches between the wheel wells and it barely fit. No problem now.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast