How I tied down my 2520

Thread: How I tied down my 2520

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

How I tied down my 2520

I've been tinkering with this for a while, and today I hit on something that seemed to work very well in terms of how to anchor my machine to my trailer so that it's rock-solid and nothing gets scratched up or damaged by the chains.

I have an Anderson Manufacturing 18' equipment trailer rated for 10k. It has 16' of flat deck plus a 2' beavertail and fold-down ramps. There is one stake pocket behind the wheels and three in front of the wheels on each side. Here's how I tied down today.

Drive onto the trailer, bringing the machine up to a point where the rears are someone over the rear axle or slightly forward. Loader in the raised position with the bucket on. Drop the chain down through the middle stake pocket and pull the grab hook up and latch it on the front bumper bracket - do this on both sides. Once the chain is attached to the front bumper on each side, roll the tractor back to take up the slack in the chain.

Place the bucket in the full "dump" position and lower to the bed. Curl until it rests a few inches in front of the chain crossing the deck then rest on the deck. Drop the 3PH with ballast box into the full down position. Set the parking brake and leave the machine in gear.

Drop a hook through the rear stake pocket, bring it up on the outside and hook on the pocket. Do this on both sides. Lay the chain over the draw bar and catch the 2" ball that is attached there. Ratchet binder used to take up the slack here and make everything tight.

Second ratchet binder along the chain across the deck at the front to make everything very tight there. Heavy duty strap across the tops of the loader arms, using the stake pockets directly in front of the rear tires to anchor to.

Chains do not touch anything that can be scratched and the strap adds an additional layer of security for the loader and the bucket. Here are some pics.

Trailer pulled excellent - smooth, no sway, stopped nicely, no chattering. Machine never moved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120915_173400.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	11476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120915_173409.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	11477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120915_173423.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	11478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120915_173432.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	11479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120915_173442.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	984.1 KB 
ID:	11480
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120915_173400.jpg   20120915_173409.jpg   20120915_173423.jpg   20120915_173432.jpg   20120915_173442.jpg  

---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add that I talked with the service folks at my dealer and asked them for input on this method of cinching down the machine and pulling. They said that it's essentially the way they would move it with the one exception being that the bucket wasn't lying flat. As a commercial entity, the DOT requires the bucket be flat to ensure it doesn't bounce around. They quickly added that having the bucket flat on the deck doesn't actually satisfy this need, but use of the heavy strap over the loader arms does.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,148 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    As a commercial entity, the DOT requires the bucket be flat to ensure it doesn't bounce around.
    I believe they also require 4 separate chains-one at each corner and another on the bucket(s). Good thread here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...n-binders.html
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I believe they also require 4 separate chains-one at each corner and another on the bucket(s). Good thread here: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...n-binders.html
    The commercial haulers absolutely have to adhere to DOT standards across the board on all items, including number of tie-downs, points of tie-down, etc. For folks like us, we should conform whenever and wherever we can. I currently have two Grade 70 chains and two ratcheting binders. I am finding that I like having the longer length to tie down the firewood logs that I have been hauling, so I will likely keep the two long chains that I have.

I was planning on having these two chains cut and buying four more grab hooks to facilitate having four chains. At this point, however, I will likely just buy two more [shorter] chains and call it good. I will then be able to use the shorter chains up front with no binders and the longer chains in the back with the binders. Everything will still be tight and I'll be able to tie down at the same point.

Since the only thing I'm securing with the strap is "the loader", I believe I can do that safely and legally with just the one strap up over the arms.
    ---

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I thought I would add some more info here...

I stopped off at TSC the other day and bought a 20' Grade 70 chain plus two additional Grade 70 grab hooks (3/8" - same as what comes on the chain). I asked the store to cut the 20' chain in half and will install the two hooks that I bought to yield two new 10' chains.

Grade 70 chain is $5/foot ($100 for 20') and the hooks are something like $13 each. That would be $152 for the chain plus the hooks if I bought everything piecemeal. By buying the pre-made chain for $80 and the two hooks, I spent $106 for the same end result.

My plan going forward will be to load exactly as I showed here except that I will use the 10' chains on each corner of the front of the machine and will use one 16' chain each on the rear. I will use the two ratcheting binders on the rear chains to take up slack after attaching the front chains and rolling the machine back to tension them. If I need the chains shorter on the front, I will twist them to get the length I need.

With the grab hooks, I can also overlap the ends of the 10' chains and create an 18' chain if I need another longer chain for something.

When I load up again, I'll take photos of the new method and post them in here.
    ---

8. Top | #6
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    I thought I would add some more info here...

I stopped off at TSC the other day and bought a 20' Grade 70 chain plus two additional Grade 70 grab hooks (3/8" - same as what comes on the chain). I asked the store to cut the 20' chain in half and will install the two hooks that I bought to yield two new 10' chains.

Grade 70 chain is $5/foot ($100 for 20') and the hooks are something like $13 each. That would be $152 for the chain plus the hooks if I bought everything piecemeal. By buying the pre-made chain for $80 and the two hooks, I spent $106 for the same end result.

My plan going forward will be to load exactly as I showed here except that I will use the 10' chains on each corner of the front of the machine and will use one 16' chain each on the rear. I will use the two ratcheting binders on the rear chains to take up slack after attaching the front chains and rolling the machine back to tension them. If I need the chains shorter on the front, I will twist them to get the length I need.

With the grab hooks, I can also overlap the ends of the 10' chains and create an 18' chain if I need another longer chain for something.

When I load up again, I'll take photos of the new method and post them in here.

Being they are "home made",why not just redo the chain to the length that works the best.
    Twisting isn't really a good habit to get into. Maybe a link or two,but I wouldn't go much more than that. Link chains aren't meant to be twisted.

Greg
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Being they are "home made",why not just redo the chain to the length that works the best.
    Twisting isn't really a good habit to get into. Maybe a link or two,but I wouldn't go much more than that. Link chains aren't meant to be twisted.

Greg
    I wouldn't twist them to take up "feet" of chain, only small amounts... If they turn out to be that much too long, I will add a second set of hooks specifically for the tractor. I want them as long as possible to be as useful as possible for a variety of tasks. I have to actually load it up and see how they fit to determine whether I need an extra set of hooks or not.
    ---

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Just a note, next time you need to buy chain or hooks check with some local semi trailer dealers and shops, specifically flatbed outfits. You can usually find chain, hooks, binders, and other related hauling stuff cheaper than traditional retail stores like TSC. I'd have to check the receipts, but I think the last grade 70 hooks I bought were about $3.00.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements