7-Terminal Outlet - can I make it match my utility trailer ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7-Terminal Outlet - can I make it match my utility trailer ?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks

Post 7-Terminal Outlet - can I make it match my utility trailer ?

I bought the POLLOCK 7-pin plug to match the male plug on the rear of my JD5065E. I'm trying to wire it to a HOPPY 7-Pin (like on the back of my GMC pickup)-with the standard 4-prong flat plug built in, using 18-wheeler style 7-conductor wire used on a trailer.

I can't seem to figure out the correct sequence - wire colors to make my 16-foot utility trailer work right.

Has anyone done this yet, and figured out the sequence ?
    Will it take one of the little electronic boxes to convert GMC-separate brake bulb separate turn bulb --to single bulb 1157 lamps on my trailers ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Can you post some pics? Wiring schematics for trailer harness connectors are pretty much standard these days. But I'm trying to follow what you are doing so I can give you the right answer. Round 7 flat pin connectors are not the same as 18 wheeler trailers at all. Adapters are readily available for 4 pin flat to 7 pin round connectors.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm sorry. After re-reading your post I understood what you said. I had too many things going on at once.

I can't post a diagram from where I'm at. I will tomorrow evening unless one of our other members beat me to it.

You could do a google search for a trailer connector wiring diagram in the mean time.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm going to try posting a diagram. This may not work - bear with me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349228414.040876.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	11845

Let me know if that helps. It's the terminal side of the female connector that's on the tow vehicle.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The Tractor-Side plug is a POLLOCK round 7-pin male.

I bought a POLLOCK 7-pin Female that matches it (it just happens to be the same plug as between an 18-wheeler truck chassis -to-18-wheeler trailer)

The 18-wheeler wire has exactly 7 wires in a sheath, and one is a higher gauge which would allow for a heavier-amperage draw on one wire.

Wally World sells a HOPPY 7-connector (flat pins) & 4-round pin flat connector, all molded into one piece, and growing out of its back is ,voila, 7 wires !
    All late model Chevy, GMC, and Ford pickups use this same common pattern connector, can't say if Dodge-Rams use it.
    It has 7-"flat" pins in a round pattern

The Tractor pins are 1-Ground, 2-Flood Lamp, 3-Left Turn, 4-Reserved/Brake Light, 5-Right Turn, 6-Tail Lamp, 7-Accessory

What I can'f figure is if you have the Light Switch set to "road", the fender front/rear lights FLASH going down the road, but if you use the "Turn Light Switch" for Left Turn and simultneously step on the brake--- the Left Light BLINKS and the Right Light burns SOLID-BRAKE SIGNAL. UN-DO the turn switch, and both light go to flashing. All the preceeding--- opposite happens if you turn right.

So, transpose this to the trailer end ---- one uses 7-pin wiring because it has electric brakes (which i will not use when pulling it with the tractor) --- to 1157-type single marker light & turn/brake bulbs.
    Other trailer uses 4-flat round connector common on 95 % of trailers in USA, to 1157-type single marker light & turn/brake bulbs.

OK, so if I use 3-Left Turn to power left turn trailer bulb, AND 5-Right Turn to power right turn trailer bulb, AND 6-Tail Lamp to power trailer marker lights --- I have no brake lights.
    OR use 4-Brake Light to work trailer left & right 1157 brake bulbs-- I have no trailer turn flashes

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So you are making an adapter to go from the tractor (7 pin round) to your trailer (7 pin flat)? Am I following you right? The wiring you listed for your tractor does not follow trailer connector standards. Here is the 7 pin round diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349321156.215517.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	11863

You mentioned a box to convert your GMCs seperate turn and brake lights to your single bulb/dual filament 1157 style trailer lights. If your truck came with the connector, then it was already done at the factory. All the manufacturers have gotten onboard with the same 7 flat pin connector and wiring standard. If your tractor has the seperate bulbs, then you'll need to verify the output at the tractor's trailer connector with a volt meter or trouble light to determine wether or not a converter is needed.

A poor ground can cause the problem you are describing. With no/poor ground one circuit such as the turn signal can use the bulb and back-feed another such as the brake circuit. It can drive a guy nuts. It sounds crazy, but I've experienced this several times.

Sent using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 10-04-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spellin'
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by couv View Post
    The Tractor-Side plug is a POLLOCK round 7-pin male.

I bought a POLLOCK 7-pin Female that matches it (it just happens to be the same plug as between an 18-wheeler truck chassis -to-18-wheeler trailer)

The 18-wheeler wire has exactly 7 wires in a sheath, and one is a higher gauge which would allow for a heavier-amperage draw on one wire.

Wally World sells a HOPPY 7-connector (flat pins) & 4-round pin flat connector, all molded into one piece, and growing out of its back is ,voila, 7 wires !
    All late model Chevy, GMC, and Ford pickups use this same common pattern connector, can't say if Dodge-Rams use it.
    It has 7-"flat" pins in a round pattern

The Tractor pins are 1-Ground, 2-Flood Lamp, 3-Left Turn, 4-Reserved/Brake Light, 5-Right Turn, 6-Tail Lamp, 7-Accessory

What I can'f figure is if you have the Light Switch set to "road", the fender front/rear lights FLASH going down the road, but if you use the "Turn Light Switch" for Left Turn and simultneously step on the brake--- the Left Light BLINKS and the Right Light burns SOLID-BRAKE SIGNAL. UN-DO the turn switch, and both light go to flashing. All the preceeding--- opposite happens if you turn right.

So, transpose this to the trailer end ---- one uses 7-pin wiring because it has electric brakes (which i will not use when pulling it with the tractor) --- to 1157-type single marker light & turn/brake bulbs.
    Other trailer uses 4-flat round connector common on 95 % of trailers in USA, to 1157-type single marker light & turn/brake bulbs.

OK, so if I use 3-Left Turn to power left turn trailer bulb, AND 5-Right Turn to power right turn trailer bulb, AND 6-Tail Lamp to power trailer marker lights --- I have no brake lights.
    OR use 4-Brake Light to work trailer left & right 1157 brake bulbs-- I have no trailer turn flashes
    Normally, the turn functions on the vehicle plug are Turn/brake; not just turn.
    The tractor must not be a standard implementation. Seems odd. I think I would really, really make sure that they behave the way you described.
    Use a meter right on the tractor to rule out trailer ground problems like DS said.
    If it truly is the way you've explained it, I think you will need a "gizmo" to make it work.
    If you hook the brake signal up to both turn lamps through a couple diodes, that would work--sort of. But the blinker would stop blinking when you applied brakes.

You need to have the blinkers to have priority over the brake signal, and some relay isolation to prevent things from back feeding.

Here is a link to two such devices. There are many. Some Have plugs already wired. I've attached a wiring diagram if you want to build one. You need 3 relays.

Curt Manufacturing 58240 Tail Light Converter 3 To 2 Wire : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/IIT-16690-Pole...=pd_sim_auto_7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY converter.jpg  
    Last edited by arlen; 10-04-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-23-2013 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Does the tractor have brake lights?
    does it even have a brake switch?
    have you verified there is a brake light signal in the plug?

the flashers on my 2320 act the same as your tractor. and I know I have no brake lights. but do have flashers/turnsignals
    2010 JD 2320, 200cx, Frontier 1060R RFM, 2048 BB, LR1072 rake, IMatch, 5 suitcase weights.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

JD MX-8 Shredder - updated lighting information

I received my new MX-8 shredder yesterday, and the Manual for it shows the plug, and indicates to use only --
    1 - Ground (typically a black wire)
    3 - Left Turn / Warning (typically a yellow wire)
    5 - Right Turn / Warning ( typically a green wire)
    6 - Tail Light ( typically a brown wire)

In the "Transporting" Chapter, it references a little black box, called a "Lighting Enhancement Module", with a picture showing it mounted on the center-gearbox.
    It doesn't sound like the old "3-to-2 bulb converter", and it is described as follows :

The Manual states :
    " " In addition to tail and warning lights, the lighting circuit incorporates a lighting enhancement module (A). This module causes red tail lights to function as turn signals as well as tail lights. During normal transport, both amber warning lights will flash in unison at high intensity and both red tail lights will illuminate steady at low intensity.

When a turn is signaled, the red tail light in the direction of the turn will flash at a high intensity in unison with the amber warning light. The opposite side amber and red lights will illuminate at high intensity
    [/B]"

If I remember correctly, the old 3-to-2 converter powered the large (brake) element in an 1157 bulb for BOTH BRAKE & TURN, and the small element for marker light in the 1157 bulb. So, it sounds like this electronic box does something entirely different.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Are you getting a "lighting enhancement module?" Sounds interesting.
    - Jason

2720 w/ 200CX FEL

Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast