• 3 Post By Treefarmer
  • 2 Post By CyberShanks

Thread: Trailer caution

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Trailer caution

I just bought a new to me dump trailer. Actually, even though I was the second owner it was still new as the original owner brought it home and realized he couldn't use it. I checked the tire pressure before hooking to the trailer but never thought about the lug nuts.

Anyway, a caution in the owners manual was to recheck the lug nuts after 50 and 100 miles. It was about 50 miles to bring it home yesterday so today, I checked the lugs. To my surprise, all but one or two of the lugs on the right side were loose. I don't mean, not tight; they were loose!

The left side wheels were more what I expected. Some needed snugging but nothing finger loose. I'm guessing the dealer prep was done by two different people, one on each side. The right side person never tightened his side.

I've learned my lesson. I'm really glad I read the manual. I'm not sure I would have thought of checking the lugs before something bad happened. I'll recheck again after running it with a load.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (04-10-2016), farmgirl19 (04-11-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    I just bought a new to me dump trailer. Actually, even though I was the second owner it was still new as the original owner brought it home and realized he couldn't use it. I checked the tire pressure before hooking to the trailer but never thought about the lug nuts.

Anyway, a caution in the owners manual was to recheck the lug nuts after 50 and 100 miles. It was about 50 miles to bring it home yesterday so today, I checked the lugs. To my surprise, all but one or two of the lugs on the right side were loose. I don't mean, not tight; they were loose!

The left side wheels were more what I expected. Some needed snugging but nothing finger loose. I'm guessing the dealer prep was done by two different people, one on each side. The right side person never tightened his side.

I've learned my lesson. I'm really glad I read the manual. I'm not sure I would have thought of checking the lugs before something bad happened. I'll recheck again after running it with a load.

Treefarmer

Glad to hear nothing damaged on yours ,, I pulled mine about 150 miles , bringing it home , then hauled the Pioneer on it for about 120 miles.

Thanks you just gave me something to check on mine (not a dump) this week..
    Last edited by etcallhome; 04-10-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    rtgt likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Aluminum wheels?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Nope, steel

Quote Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
    Aluminum wheels?

They are steel. I don't think it was metal creep/dissimilar metals. I'm pretty sure it was someone forgetting to finish their job. Stuff happens, I was just lucky there was no damage. For that matter, the original owner was just as lucky has he had already pulled it home from the dealer. No telling how far a tire would roll if it came off at 60 mph but I'm glad I didn't find out.

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 04-11-2016 at 06:07 AM.
    etcallhome, farmgirl19 and rtgt like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Wow, ya I agree. Steel wheels usually stay tight. Still a good idea to check from time to time though.
    Glad to hear you found it before they took flight on ya.

etcallhome and farmgirl19 like this.
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements