Green Tractor Talk banner

Show me your Ford truck!

321K views 4K replies 278 participants last post by  dan_m 
#1 ·
I'm a Ford guy through and through. They're the best trucks out there in my opinion. I lease mine and this is my 4th F-150. I brought this one home over the weekend and thought it might be fun to drive for the next 36 months.

My last truck was a V8 with 9500 towing capacity. The dealer said this one was a V6 with 11200 towing capacity. I stood there a minute scratching my head until he said, "Just drive it!" Well, that little thing called Ecoboost made quite the difference! Man!!! This thing could run circles around my old V8!! I was impressed to say the least. This truck also has 365 horsepower and more torque then my V8.

The computer apps are very cool also. It shows off road vehicle pitch and has rear differential lock.

The navigation system and Sync system are very enjoyable as well.

Here it is...

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Powered by vBulletin

I got a f150 back in january after toyota failed to honor their end of the contract and deposit deal to build me 2011. Of the same set up with the max payload and max towing capacity designated by the asterisk scattered throughout their brochure. They (ford) really didn't deserve repeat business the way they thought the cruise control/brake issue was a recall and the tie rod ends which fell right off around 65,000 mi well one of them did and the garage said it was common which got a weasel worded letter that the measuring technique on them had been changed, the dealer refused to even look at them without an appointment at the time they unplugged the cruise control. That was the last one a 2000.

I can't possibly see how I could lease one and not pay for lots of body scratch removal or more at return time. I just got the base model, 5.0 v8, tow package, brake controller integrated with the computerized stability system, locking rear axle and of course two wheel drive eight foot bed. Yours must have the max tow package which needs ecoboost engine and has harder riding springs. You need a weight distributing hitch and in all reality probably a three axle trailer to get the tongue load low enough to actually tow that. My towing capacity is just 20 or so pounds less than my driving liscence is good for. Thy are trying a bit too hard to sell that ecoboost stuff in my opinion, there are horsepower graphs for all the engines and close examination reveals that if there were numbers on the graphs the axes would be different for different engines.

The engine transmission and seat are better than the 2000 it replaced but the rear bumper is a joke compared to the one on the 2000. With the regular cab the blind spots are worse and the ability to move your head around is more restricted.

Attachments

#3 ·
This should be fun- I am not a Ford guy through and through. I grew up a GM guy. My 3 vehicles prior this Ford, were a Yukon, a Suburban, and then a Yukon XL Denali. I like my GM products and always talked smack about Ford. Also notice that I did not mention a pickup truck. But in 2008 I was in the market for my first 3/4 ton truck. The move to 3/4 was based on a planned upgrade to a travel trailer. We expected to be in the 10K lb range and the 3/4 Suburban maxes out at 10K. Not sure what they are thinking. I looked at used Excursions (since even Ford had decided that customers with SUVs were not worthy of towing 10K plus in the 2008 model year!). I ended up deciding to go with a 3/4 pickup. My other requirement was seating 3 carseats in the back seat. That made a crew cab necessary.

So I embarked on a new journey. I looked at all 3. I was intrigued by the mega cab, but did not care for the 2008 Dodge interior. I hear that has come a long way since. I liked the Sierra and was very close to buying one. The Duramax and Allison combo is hard to beat. But, I decided that just as I am trying to teach my children to be open minded, I should go drive the Ford. There was some key features and design difference that forced me to re-think my bias. In 08, Ford offered a backup camera, tailgate step, and power fold/extend towing mirrors that GM did not. The folding mirrors alone were key since I had to manually fold my GM towing mirrors to put the XL in my garage (9 foot door). The rear seat floor area was much larger on the Ford (at the time we were still toting diaper bags :lol: )

This was a hard decision- I went with the Ford. Here is a pic from when it was brand new. I have not made many changes to the outside aside from the wear and tear from 43K miles.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

And later that year, I solidified the reasoning for the pickup. We ended up in a 5th wheel instead. This one is around 13K lbs loaded to camp. Here is a picture of a quick overnight stop where I did not bother unhooking.

Vehicle Car RV Travel trailer State park

I should add, that Ford has not wowed me with reliability. I still like my truck and plan to keep as long as I can stand to. But I have had to deal with some ridiculous repairs for such a young truck. And with the reputation of this 6.4L motor, I am terrified of a major out of warranty repair bill. Who knew that they could strike out twice in a row after the 6.0L nightmare?

Lee

#26 ·
I've heard ALOT of people say the perfect truck is a Ford truck, Cummins engine, Allison trans.

This should be fun- I am not a Ford guy through and through. I grew up a GM guy. My 3 vehicles prior this Ford, were a Yukon, a Suburban, and then a Yukon XL Denali. I like my GM products and always talked smack about Ford. Also notice that I did not mention a pickup truck. But in 2008 I was in the market for my first 3/4 ton truck. The move to 3/4 was based on a planned upgrade to a travel trailer. We expected to be in the 10K lb range and the 3/4 Suburban maxes out at 10K. Not sure what they are thinking. I looked at used Excursions (since even Ford had decided that customers with SUVs were not worthy of towing 10K plus in the 2008 model year!). I ended up deciding to go with a 3/4 pickup. My other requirement was seating 3 carseats in the back seat. That made a crew cab necessary.

So I embarked on a new journey. I looked at all 3. I was intrigued by the mega cab, but did not care for the 2008 Dodge interior. I hear that has come a long way since. I liked the Sierra and was very close to buying one. The Duramax and Allison combo is hard to beat. But, I decided that just as I am trying to teach my children to be open minded, I should go drive the Ford. There was some key features and design difference that forced me to re-think my bias. In 08, Ford offered a backup camera, tailgate step, and power fold/extend towing mirrors that GM did not. The folding mirrors alone were key since I had to manually fold my GM towing mirrors to put the XL in my garage (9 foot door). The rear seat floor area was much larger on the Ford (at the time we were still toting diaper bags :lol: )

This was a hard decision- I went with the Ford. Here is a pic from when it was brand new. I have not made many changes to the outside aside from the wear and tear from 43K miles.

View attachment 12071

And later that year, I solidified the reasoning for the pickup. We ended up in a 5th wheel instead. This one is around 13K lbs loaded to camp. Here is a picture of a quick overnight stop where I did not bother unhooking.

View attachment 12072

I should add, that Ford has not wowed me with reliability. I still like my truck and plan to keep as long as I can stand to. But I have had to deal with some ridiculous repairs for such a young truck. And with the reputation of this 6.4L motor, I am terrified of a major out of warranty repair bill. Who knew that they could strike out twice in a row after the 6.0L nightmare?

Lee

#5 ·
I'm a Ford guy through and through. They're the best trucks out there in my opinion. I lease mine and this is my 4th F-150. I brought this one home over the weekend and thought it might be fun to drive for the next 36 months.

My last truck was a V8 with 9500 towing capacity. The dealer said this one was a V6 with 11200 towing capacity. I stood there a minute scratching my head until he said, "Just drive it!" Well, that little thing called Ecoboost made quite the difference! Man!!! This thing could run circles around my old V8!! I was impressed to say the least. This truck also has 365 horsepower and more torque then my V8.

The computer apps are very cool also. It shows off road vehicle pitch and has rear differential lock.

The navigation system and Sync system are very enjoyable as well.

Here it is...

View attachment 12067
I am not a Ford guy either, but that is nice; real nice. I really like the idea of the Eco-Boost. I am afraid that in my house, it would be considered yet another toy in my toy box. I read rumors that GM is working with a turbo gas engine for their new GMC's and Chevys. I also like the fact that Ford refused government money during the bailout. They refused and have come out better financially than the other American manufacturers.

Nice truck.

Don

#6 ·
I like Fords myself, and will most likely purchase a Ford F150 next time around. I thought the idea of the Eco-Boost sounded unique, but isn't the Eco-Boost just a sic cylinder with a turbo blower?
It would scare me to think what the repair bill might be to replace a turbo after the warranty expired.

With regards to Ford not taking a goverment bailout if I remember correctly the new CEO had morgaged Ford including the Ford name up to the hilt proir to the economy going sour.
I think Ford did not need the government money as they had the financing because of that.

Still I think Ford makes a good product. GMCs look appealing, and Dodge looks like thay have come quite a way, but I remember the Dodge line as inferior and old thoughts are had to forget.

Reactions: BigJim55
#7 ·
Here is a older (7 years maybe) picture of mine with my Big Tex trailer:

1992 F250HD, 4x4, 8' bed, supercab, ATS turbo'd IDI engine by IH, E4OD POS auto tranny, 146,xxx miles, owned since new, many mods...

Attachments

#8 ·
Kenny, great truck. I really like the old body style. I'm a Ford kind of guy. Shocking, huh? :laugh: I don't have any pictures of my first two Fords. My first vehicle ever was a 1964 Ford F-350 flatbed with a 300 straight six and a 4 speed. It was replaced by a 1978 Ford F-100 with a 302 and a C4. Then...the diesels.

There was a time in my life when I ate, slept, and breathed Ford diesel. It started with a two wheel drive 1994 F-250, one of the first PowerStroke trucks produced. It still had the Turbo Diesel badges on it, not the PSD badges. Ran that one to 315,000 miles, most of which was doing some heavy towing, then it became a playtoy. I decided that drag racing an extended cab stick shift was fun...and it was! :dance: Once I kind of lost interest in that, the truck was put back stock and is now serving as a second vehicle for a family member.

I picked up a 2002 F-350 4x4 Lariat once the F-250 became a toy. Great truck, loaded with all the options. Even had an automatic transmission. I got rid of that one after putting about 10,000 miles on it at 169,000. What could inspire someone to get rid of such a truck?

Something like this.

I sold my 2002 and bought a 1956 Ford F-350. It had a 272 V8 and a 4 speed. Top cruising speed was 55 MPH, manual everything. Steering, brakes, windows, the whole lot. Only power option was the dump kit installed on the Ford factory flatbed. I had maintenance records back to the 60's, which included a listing for the dump kit being installed around '64, I believe. Lowest mileage vehicle I've owned, with only 73,000 on it.

It was a great truck, and my only personal vehicle for about two years. If you saw me, it was in that. It was a blast. That truck did a lot of work, too. Hauling firewood, railroad timbers, you name it. I had 4,000 lbs on the bed once.

But, things were not perfect. As great as the truck was, it wasn't the most practical. Slow top speed, no A/C, and rather poor towing capability. The hunt was on again, and I wound up with the 2001.

I was specifically hunting for that truck. I wanted a 3/4/550, cab and chassis 4x4 with a manual transmission and transfer case. Found it, with 4.10 gears to boot! With 193,000 miles on the odometer, I bought it. It needed work; it had been rode hard and put up wet. It met all my criteria though, so it came home. Had some injector trouble with it, among other things. Had it for about two years now, and just crossed 200,000 miles a couple of months ago. Like all the trucks I've owned, it works.

It's not perfect, but it's real close. If I were to buy another truck, I would go after the exact truck I have. Same engine, transmission, transfer case, etc. The only changes would be to make it an extended cab or crew cab, and an F-550. :good2: I looked at a nice crew cab, air ride, 4x4 F-550 a few months ago but it sold before I got there. I know where another crew cab 550 is, but it looks like it's had a rough life. That's alright though, I like my red truck. :munch:

The closest thing I have to a family photo of them.

#10 ·
Kenny, great truck. I really like the old body style. I'm a Ford kind of guy. Shocking, huh? :laugh: I don't have any pictures of my first two Fords. My first vehicle ever was a 1964 Ford F-350 flatbed with a 300 straight six and a 4 speed. It was replaced by a 1978 Ford F-100 with a 302 and a C4. Then...the diesels.

There was a time in my life when I ate, slept, and breathed Ford diesel. It started with a two wheel drive 1994 F-250, one of the first PowerStroke trucks produced. It still had the Turbo Diesel badges on it, not the PSD badges. Ran that one to 315,000 miles, most of which was doing some heavy towing, then it became a playtoy. I decided that drag racing an extended cab stick shift was fun...and it was! :dance: Once I kind of lost interest in that, the truck was put back stock and is now serving as a second vehicle for a family member.

I picked up a 2002 F-350 4x4 Lariat once the F-250 became a toy. Great truck, loaded with all the options. Even had an automatic transmission. I got rid of that one after putting about 10,000 miles on it at 169,000. What could inspire someone to get rid of such a truck?

Something like this.

Man, is that 1956 Ford truck cool! I think an old classic truck like that would probably be my dream vehicle. Maybe someday I'll have one in my barn.

I thought the black wheels on my new truck were sort of a new thing. Guess not! I see them on your old 56!

#9 ·
My 1999 F-250 Super Duty XLT 4x4, V-10, 5-speed manual, limited slip 4.11 rear end, with towing and off road packages. Miles on the truck are just over 38,000.

Attachments

Reactions: fdmars and BigJim55
#11 ·
Awesome set up 56FG! I really like 56 F350.. was that ever restored? It's in awesome condition.

I've never considered myself a Ford guy, but I do like the Ford's. In all honesty, I'd take a Ford, GMC/Chevy and I really like the new Ram's in no particular order. I look at any of those and I can see myself driving them, all really good looking. Each has its own styling cues and I go back and forth between all of them on which I like best. I mean this in the nicest way, so don't take it wrong, I'm from Michigan with strong ties to the American auto industry; but bias aside, I don't like what the foreign manufacturers are putting out in the truck range. I'm sure they have some nice features, but in my opinion they are hard on the eyes.

Anyways, in my current collection Ford collection; a 2000 Ford F250 V10 Lariat with just over 46,000 miles:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

1984 Ford F8000 Dump Truck with Cat 3208 Diesel with about 400,000 on the chasis, replaced engine less than 5,000 miles ago:
Land vehicle Vehicle Transport Commercial vehicle Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Truck Motor vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Car Automotive exterior

I shouldn't even tell you guys this, but the same guy who I bought the F8000 from had a really good looking I believe '96 F250 Diesel that he was trying to sell for $2,000. I was thinking of making an offer, but my better half would have killed me:mocking:

#17 ·
I shouldn't even tell you guys this, but the same guy who I bought the F8000 from had a really good looking I believe '96 F250 Diesel that he was trying to sell for $2,000. I was thinking of making an offer, but my better half would have killed me:mocking:
It's the blue truck in the background
The blue truck looks like an '86, which would be a 6.9 liter diesel if I recall properly. I believe the 460 gasoline engine had a higher tow rating than the 6.9 liter. :laugh:

That makes sense, and the price would be about right.

#14 ·
Well, here's my beloved old Ford. Like myself, not as fast or good looking as in years gone by but it serves the purpose I need. A 1974 F-100, 302 V8, automatic. It has 200K and the only work to the engine has been a new water pump.

Attachments

#15 ·
I'm not really a Ford guy either. But I had a few, two '71s, one a F250 Camper Special with the 300 inline six and automatic and a F150 with a 302 automatic. The F250 could haul anything, but got lousy gas mileage.

Since I always like small trucks I started buying and driving small trucks. A couple of S-10s, a S-15, and a '86 Ranger. The Ranger had a 2.9 with 5 speed and was a good truck. My current trucks are a '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4WD with the 4.7 and I have a little '97 Ranger 2WD with the 2.3 and 5 speed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive tire

I wish I had one of those '71s today.

#18 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

building a place away from the city, has a 1.5 mile gravel drive so decided to trade in my 1/2 ton chevy for a 3/4 ton Ford. it is an 09 and had only 11K miles on it. added the Boss and bought the 2305 to help get the place set up and clear snow this winter so i can make the 40 minute commute to work.
Might be a pain, but it might just be a little fun, too! the 6.8L gasser drinks plenty, but i dont pull much with it (have a 5th wheel but we don't lug it around much) so stayed away from the diesel.

#20 ·
Here it is with my latest hunting trophy in the bed.
Out of all the things that could have been in that picture, I would never have guessed a dinosaur head :lol: Nice looking truck too!

#23 ·
Here's my favorite one, (I currently have 4 Ford trucks) I custom ordered this truck back in April of 1987. A 1988 F250 4x4, now with a 1992 7.3 diesel that has been turbo charged & inter cooled. Has a US Gear gear splitter behind a C6 Auto Trans. This truck has over 300k miles on it. :good2:

Attachments

#24 ·
That would be a perfect picture if only that was a green tractor on the trailer:laugh:

JK of course...very nice ride!

#29 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

My '09 250 gasser, 6.8L, is thirsty, getting about 13mpg on the road and maybe 10 overall. But I like her so far - about 20k miles on it so far. I do like my new plow setup, have had only one snow-dump so far to try it out though!

#32 ·
I woundn't have that allison cummins combo. Allisons are over rated. Specially if you throw anything over stock hp on them. I'll keep my 5r110 anyday. Cummins is a good motor but they are living now on the hype like ford did with the 7.3. Cummins problem is the truck they are in. Thats an awful lot of money to spend on a truck just to get a motor.

#33 ·
I'll agree that I'd never buy an older Dodge/Ram, the new ones look very nice and very well built to me though. I'd still take an Allison transmission given the chance.

#34 ·
Being a HD fleet mechanic by trade I work on a lot of different stuff including a bunch of newer F350,450,550s. I don't mind being paid to work on Ford stuff but for my self I drive a Dodge Cummins. I don't really care which is better, has more power, better MPGs or any of that. They are all pretty close in those terms. What I like about it is when I do work on it the engine is accessible, easy to work on and dead simple. I spend enough time at work working on Fords trying to cram my arms into tight tight places and reach impossible bolts that when I do wrench on the Cummins at home its enjoyable by comparison.

I'll say the Ford does have a much better front end but I'd rather replace the ball joints and TREs a little more often on a Dodge then pull the head or do another friggin EGR cooler on a Ford.

Here's a pic of my work service truck, 2006 F550.

#35 ·
ClayH, you're service truck looks like atleast an 08?? And looks way to cold for me. As far as working on fords, yea, its tight, but I guess I am getting use to it cause it doesn't bother me anymore. If who's ever truck you are working on egr coolers, delete those suckers!! I agree with you on the easier to work on but I believe those days are over. Thank the EPA every chance you get on that one:mocking: Just wonder if what I hear coming from ram and fiat are true, you better get a dodge you like...

#44 ·
I thinks it was -35C in that pic which was taken at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Gets dark early up there. They are fleet vehicles, not personal so they get put back to spec. The DPF and EGRs cause quite a bit of problems as the trucks idle a LOT(ITS MINUS 35C!) and never exceed 60km/h and never get driven for more than 30minutes continually(unless I'm driving around aimlessly trucking to get a regen to happen). They are site use only and never see a highway(or paved road). The best solution we have found so far is to quit buying diesels and buy V10s instead.