Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Silverado axle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Silverado axle

I've got a 2006 Silverado and an odd noise recently started when I go over a rough spot. It sounds like something is oil canning. I can duplicate it if I rock the bed side to side hard and can actually feel it.

I checked all the bed bolts and those are tight. I can't find anything underneath that's loose. (Actually I found several things but none of them were the noise.)

My local mechanic says its the axle working in and out of the rear differential but not to worry about it. I jacked up the rear today and both rear wheels will shake if moved vertically but not a horizontal shake. It's a G80 rear on a 4x4 if that makes any difference.
    It may very well be the axles but how is that "nothing to worry about"?

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    The G80 is the descriptor for the addition of the Eaton locking differential. What truck is this in? Is it a semi floating or full floating axle in a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton? The Eaton locker was put in Colorado's to 3500's.
    Full floating axles have the axle shafts independent of the hub and bearing assembly and they have some play where they can move in and out maybe 1/8 of an inch and are trapped. The tightness of the bearing-hub is separate from the axle shaft.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 04-13-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    Treefarmer likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (04-14-2016)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

1500 Work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    The G80 is the descriptor for the addition of the Eaton locking differential. What truck is this in? Is it a semi floating or full floating axle in a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton? The Eaton locker was put in Colorado's to 3500's.
    Full floating axles have the axle shafts independent of the hub and bearing assembly and they have some play where they can move in and out maybe 1/8 of an inch and are trapped. The tightness of the bearing-hub is separate from the axle shaft.
    It's a 1500 work truck. It's does not have the G80 code. It's a GU6 with 3.42 gearing. Sorry about the error.

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 04-14-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

danmorea (04-21-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    Could it be a bad u joint on the drive shaft ?
    BigJim55 and johnH123 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

danmorea (04-21-2016)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Could it be a bad u joint on the drive shaft ?
    I was sorta hoping for that but they seem ok. I haven't dropped them yet as I'm still checking things out. That still doesn't get to the wheels having some top/bottom rock.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Sounds like the it may be a similar sound the old 10 and 12 bolt GM diffs made when you did the same thing to the car/truck. Those used "C" clips to retain the axles to the spider gears and they allowed some in and out movement that would result in a hollow can like sound as they moved in and out as the car moved side to side.

Simple test to replicate:
    Jack up the rear, place jack stands under the axle housing tubes so both wheels are of the ground and the truck is very stable as you will be pushing and pulling on the wheels to replicate the lateral movement of the truck

pull one tire out as you rotate it to get it as far out as possible
    put both hands on the tire and push in, you should hear a muffled clunk as the axle is pushed in
    now grab the inside of the tire, pull outward rapidly on the wheel, you should hear a hollow clunk sound as the axle moves outward and it's movement is stopped by the clip.

The C type axles tend to spit out axles under heavy cornering or acceleration, most tracks require you convert them to a bolt-in retainer type like the 8-3/4 Chrysler, 9" Ford or Dana 60.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (04-14-2016)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

Sounds like the it may be a similar sound the old 10 and 12 bolt GM diffs made when you did the same thing to the car/truck. Those used "C" clips to retain the axles to the spider gears and they allowed some in and out movement that would result in a hollow can like sound as they moved in and out as the car moved side to side.

Simple test to replicate:
    Jack up the rear, place jack stands under the axle housing tubes so both wheels are of the ground and the truck is very stable as you will be pushing and pulling on the wheels to replicate the lateral movement of the truck

pull one tire out as you rotate it to get it as far out as possible
    put both hands on the tire and push in, you should hear a muffled clunk as the axle is pushed in
    now grab the inside of the tire, pull outward rapidly on the wheel, you should hear a hollow clunk sound as the axle moves outward and it's movement is stopped by the clip.

The C type axles tend to spit out axles under heavy cornering or acceleration, most tracks require you convert them to a bolt-in retainer type like the 8-3/4 Chrysler, 9" Ford or Dana 60.
    Yep, sounds like what I'm hearing when I jacked it up. Do you know what a reliable replacement would be for my truck? It's 4 x 4 so I'll have to keep the same ratio.

Thanks again.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Yep, sounds like what I'm hearing when I jacked it up. Do you know what a reliable replacement would be for my truck? It's 4 x 4 so I'll have to keep the same ratio.

Thanks again.

Treefarmer
    Give the guys at Strange Engineering, Moser Engineering, Tom's Differentials or Currie Enterprises a call, one of them will have a kit that consists of replacement bearings, new style retainer plates, seals and gaskets.

You will need a 15-20 ton hydraulic press tall enough for the axle length to change out the bearings yourself, otherwise, take them to an automotive machine shop to do the press work.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tomd999 For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (04-14-2016)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    I was going to suggest throwing a 3/4 ton axle under there but after thinking about it, no, that's just a bit too country...
    Last edited by Jeff B; 04-14-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,101 Posts
    tree farmer-utoh-darn I got the same yr and same ratio too. no trouble here yet, fingers crossed for sure. now my 2000 was a different deal. I had a 16 old boy who liked to show other boys how the old mans truck would spin tires, well he took the posi locker out, and about the kitchen sink back then. they covered the replacement rear, but I had to do a lot of fast talking to the general manager, who kept saying u had to have been stuck badly to tear it up this bad. we both was under the truck looking for tale, tale signs of being stuck-nothing. I've keep that little locker all these yrs, just to prove to my boy, what laying rubber will do. heck-I'm even afraid to let my back tires spin, afraid that posi locker will let go. theirs nothing to it, I couldn't believe how thumping little it is. so I will be watching here very closely to how it plays out.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast