Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A couple little changes on the F350

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

A couple little changes on the F350

I'm a firm believer in monitoring important info while driving. My truck has oil pressure, engine temp, voltage, tach, speedo, and fuel in the dash along with some idiot lights. Since my ECU has been confirmed to be reprogrammed via a scanner, I decided I needed the gauges sooner than later to make sure the tune isn't too hot for my intended usage.

The factory dash doesn't have much realestate for adding 2" holes, and adding the pods all over does a couple things I don't like: first, they attract attention! Cops love seeing a pillar gauge pod and seeing just how fast you're going or noticing that you have a signal out; they just seem that much less forgiving when you have the wall of light in front of your face. Second, they're distracting and hard to see through. The backlighting for pillar mounted gauges seems far less forgiving to me than if you put them somewhere else.

Some guys are putting pods up above the rear view mirror, and that's not such a bad idea, but that's a lot of screwing around to get mounted. It also shows up to anyone behind you unless you've got a trailer or a big load in the bed. Not so cool.

Then I stumbled upon the F650 lower dash panel(s). BINGO! There's an automatic transmission version which has a wall of space designed to be filled with switches and gauges, and then there's a manual transmission one that's only set up for a row of switches and a couple gauges (or maybe the air brake valve?). I went with that one because the bigger automatic one just seemed so out of place in my cabin.

The duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint isn't quite right, but this pic makes it more pronounced than it appears to the eye. If I ever care that they're not a perfect match, I can always spring for the more expensive factory match paint, but so far I'm liking this look. I painted my cup holder and trash hook to match, so the center of the dash is all the same tone. There's 3 different shades on the door panels and those are factory - so it's, well, just like a ford.

I'll need to decide what switches I want to add to the space above the gauges, but I'm not in a huge rush on those yet. The hole doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by Jim Timber; 04-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-17-2016 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    What engine? 7.3 or 6.0? What gauges did you get? Are you running a chip?
    Allen

2014 X750 60" mid mount mower, 54" front blade, 647 tiller, custom trash can carrier.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It's a 2001 7.3 that should have forged rods.

Gauges are boost, trans temp, and EGT.

The previous owner had it tuned, put in a full 4" open exhaust, and who knows what else. I have no idea what programming has been done thus the need for the gauges before I start hauling my tractor.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Thanks
    Does that have rack and pinion steering. I have been wondering when they went to rack and pinion steering on the Super Dutys. My 2011 has it, but it is two wheel drive and I am not sure whether the 4wd's have it even now. The rack and pinion steering sure made a difference in driveability.

Dave
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rack and pinion doesn't work too well with a live front axle. Here in MN, we prefer our trucks to be 4wd. ;)

It's got recirculating ball hydro-boost power steering. I'm probably going to look into ram assist too. My Tahoe's much easier to pilot. Actually, every vehicle I've ever owned with PS (all but one, and it's a long list) has had better power assist than this thing.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. Top | #6
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    You may do a flush on the hydro if its whining loud. I did mine recently and it really helped noise & steering.

Was the usb put in by you or previous owner?

Sent using Jedi mind control.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The pump doesn't make any noise, and the brakes work great - it's just a ford and has heavy steering.

I put the USB port there. It's a Neutric bulkhead connector I got free at a convention about 12 years ago and has finally completed it's mission as part of my car stereo. :D

Speaking of... Google said I needed to park to skip down my pandora stations more than 15 channels. What the heck?? Android Auto is pretty slick for google nav though. I like not having to focus down on my phone while still getting the live mapping and directions.
    mjncad, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Thanks
    I can tell you that the rack and pinion steering definitely does not feel heavy. It is a great improvement. I know they switched to rack and pinion in 2004 for the F150, but have yet to find out about the Super Duty.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Rack and pinion will not work on a live axle. I have a leaf sprung Dana 50 front end.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #10
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Nice idea swapping the center dash. Should serve you well.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast