• 2 Post By Treefarmer
  • 1 Post By clayh

Thread: Trailers

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

Trailers

I'm trying to talk my self into a dump trailer, I rented one awhile back and thought I would like to own one but wondering if anyone uses one to transport there scut to and from odd jobs, I see they come with ramps but how ergonomic is it loading and strapping your equipment down inside. A 6x12 is really all I need as far as debris or material but with the thoughts and experiences of people here that may change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1023e w/FEL
    Curtis cab
    54" snow blower
    36" forks
    Jd ballast box
    54" mmm
    48" tiller land pride
    7' 3pt blade
    Tsc sub soiler ( converting it for burying electric cable )
    3pt tool bar ( project under construction )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knuckles For This Useful Post:

raco232 (05-14-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    A 12-foot trailer is probably fine if you are only moving the tractor itself. If you want to be able to take attachments with you to make that tractor useful, a 12-foot trailer will seldom be adequate. I wouldn't go shorter than 16-foot.
    BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

Yeah I'm not sure I have the truck to haul the trailer I should have but these dumps are very handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1023e w/FEL
    Curtis cab
    54" snow blower
    36" forks
    Jd ballast box
    54" mmm
    48" tiller land pride
    7' 3pt blade
    Tsc sub soiler ( converting it for burying electric cable )
    3pt tool bar ( project under construction )

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    You can't (easily) add length to a short trailer, but you can always not fill a bigger one up to the brim.

With EVERY trailer I have bought or built, I have always gone a size bigger than I thought I would need/want. I have yet to be disappointed with this rule.
    meburdick, Doug, 56FordGuy and 5 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

Knuckles (05-15-2016)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks

Only in a pinch

I just bought a dump trailer and it came with ramps. I doubt I'll ever transport my 790 with it as the dump is 6 x 12 and I'm usually pretty tight on my 16' flatbed if I have the FEL on the front and anything on the back. The dump trailer also is at least a foot higher and I'm not thrilled about moving the CG up. That's fine as long as everything is going well but could be dicey when I'm going around a curve and find someone on my side of the road coming the other way which isn't unusual. I would use the dump for smaller equipment and maybe if I was just hauling the tractor by itself but usually I have the tractor, FEL and either a back blade or box blade.

I'll be making double trips to a distant farm to get both the tractor and dump trailer there but that's the price of not having enough truck. If I had a bigger truck, I would have gone for a bigger dump trailer but I wanted to keep the empty weight down to maintain some load capacity. I think I got a good enough deal on the dump trailer that if I want to sell it, I'll get most or maybe all of my money back even though it won't have pristine paint by then.

Treefarmer
    BigJim55 and Knuckles like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

Knuckles (05-16-2016)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 12:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 14ft dump and have to take the bucket off my 2720 and put it in the truck to be able to fit the tractor in the dump triailer. Tying down is a bit awkward at the as I have to squeeze in to get the straps on. I have D rings welded into all the corners so that makes it a bit easier.
    Knuckles likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clayh For This Useful Post:

Knuckles (05-26-2016)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements