Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Navigation assistance and input

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks

Navigation assistance and input

Hey there wise GTT friends. I have an upcoming camping trip and would welcome input from anyone familiar with the northeast towing routes.

Here is my challenge:
    I am towing my 13k# fifth wheel from Dayton, MD to Bourne, MA

I am traveling in both directions on Saturdays. I know that there are tunnels in NY that will not allow my propane bottles (only two 30# bottles, but hard to convince a toll booth operator that I don't have them!). I also don't prefer to spend $100 each way in tolls, but am open to paying tolls if it is the best route. I don't mind going a few extra miles for a much more pleasant route. I generally prefer highway as stop and go traffic is annoying with the camper. I am also 13'1" tall and have had a few issues where nav programs don't seem to consider height when they route me. Thankfully, I have never gotten in trouble with this, but it is another point of data.

With all of that said, going straight up 95 is a non-starter. I am looking at maybe 83 to 81 to 78 to 287 to 80. That would take me across the George Washington. Does anyone have any input about pulling a trailer across there? Then once I am across that bridge, do I go straight to 95 and continue from there or bypass more of 95?

I am open to suggestions. I did a similar trip 8 years ago pulling a smaller trailer. I honestly don't remember what route I took but I really appreciated avoiding NYC and NJ. That is for sure.

Any input is appreciated.....

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    Hey there wise GTT friends. I have an upcoming camping trip and would welcome input from anyone familiar with the northeast towing routes.

Here is my challenge:
    I am towing my 13k# fifth wheel from Dayton, MD to Bourne, MA

I am traveling in both directions on Saturdays. I know that there are tunnels in NY that will not allow my propane bottles (only two 30# bottles, but hard to convince a toll booth operator that I don't have them!). I also don't prefer to spend $100 each way in tolls, but am open to paying tolls if it is the best route. I don't mind going a few extra miles for a much more pleasant route. I generally prefer highway as stop and go traffic is annoying with the camper. I am also 13'1" tall and have had a few issues where nav programs don't seem to consider height when they route me. Thankfully, I have never gotten in trouble with this, but it is another point of data.

With all of that said, going straight up 95 is a non-starter. I am looking at maybe 83 to 81 to 78 to 287 to 80. That would take me across the George Washington. Does anyone have any input about pulling a trailer across there? Then once I am across that bridge, do I go straight to 95 and continue from there or bypass more of 95?

I am open to suggestions. I did a similar trip 8 years ago pulling a smaller trailer. I honestly don't remember what route I took but I really appreciated avoiding NYC and NJ. That is for sure.

Any input is appreciated.....

Lee
    How about looking at 83 to 81 to 84 to 90 / Mass Turnpike to 495 to 25? You're avoiding 95 & the GW Bridge altogether. You've got a toll in Beacon, NY and then a toll on 90 / Mass Turnpike. Less traffic and no tunnels.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Here is the route I generally take to SW MA. I avoid 95 AT ALL COSTS

Not the fastest, but you generally stay moving. The part through the Delaware Gap ( route 209) and Port Jervis is a bit slow, but relaxing. Unsure if this is RV friendly, but I think it is.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/West...42.0543449!3e0
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    How about looking at 83 to 81 to 84 to 90 / Mass Turnpike to 495 to 25? You're avoiding 95 & the GW Bridge altogether. You've got a toll in Beacon, NY and then a toll on 90 / Mass Turnpike. Less traffic, less tolls and no tunnels.
    I only know the lower end (from Pa to Mass) but your route is perfect as that is the way I always went with my big truck.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I wanted to amend my above post -

I had originally said the same as superglidesport - 81N to 84E to 90 but there is actually a better way. Driving on 84 in Connecticut can be a nightmare especially if you hit it during rush hour plus you are pulling a sizable trailer.

While this will add a few extra miles this is how I went when I wanted a stress free trip from PA to Springfield Ma.

81N to I80 in Penna. Then take 80E to 380N near Mt Pocono. Then at Scranton take 84E. This eliminates 81 going through the Scranton - Wilkes Barre area which is super busy.

The 84 east from Scranton Pa to 87N at Newberg NY. Take 87N to 90E just before Albany. Not only does this make you avoid Connecticut altogether you cross the Hudson river without a toll (but do pay a toll to travel on 90).

Then at Springfield Ma you can get 91N.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I wanted to amend my above post -

I had originally said the same as superglidesport - 81N to 84E to 90 but there is actually a better way. Driving on 84 in Connecticut can be a nightmare especially if you hit it during rush hour plus you are pulling a sizable trailer.

While this will add a few extra miles this is how I went when I wanted a stress free trip from PA to Springfield Ma.

81N to I80 in Penna. Then take 80E to 380N near Mt Pocono. Then at Scranton take 84E. This eliminates 81 going through the Scranton - Wilkes Barre area which is super busy.

The 84 east from Scranton Pa to 87N at Newberg NY. Take 87N to 90E just before Albany. Not only does this make you avoid Connecticut altogether you cross the Hudson river without a toll (but do pay a toll to travel on 90).

Then at Springfield Ma you can get 91N.
    Stan, that's the loooong way around but I agree it does avoid Connecticut and all the Prius's driving 55 in the left lane. That being said once he get's to Springfield he wants to continue East on 90 / Mass Pike to 495 South. 91N will take him to Vermont. Bourne, MA is just West of the Cape Cod Canal.
    coaltrain likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Stan, that's the loooong way around but I agree it does avoid Connecticut and all the Prius's driving 55 in the left lane. That being said once he get's to Springfield he wants to continue East on 90 / Mass Pike to 495 South. 91N will take him to Vermont. Bourne, MA is just West of the Cape Cod Canal.
    Yes - longer but stress free! The worst part of my trip was 84 through eastern NY and Connecticut. Once a week I would treat myself to the easy way. Came out exactly 30 minutes longer (doing the speed limit).

Thanks for adding the route from Springfield onward. Don't know anything about that since Springfield was my terminus.
    Superglidesport likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Thanks

Yes

Coletrain with the above Suoerglide correction is the least stressful way to go. I can give you shorter and faster as I travel from Hunting Town MD to the Springfield MA area a lot. However I suggest you take the way recommended. The drive will be much less stressful and not much longer. With a fifth wheeler it's the way I would go.

Alternate to the above would be to come up the NJ Garden State to 287 E. go over the Tappan Zee bridge. hook up with 684 North to 84 E. Continue on 84 until you connect to Mass 90 E (toll road) in Sturbridge. It's faster and not to bad a drive providing you don't do it during rush hour. The hardest part of the drive is in Hartford CT.

Steve
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post
    Coletrain with the above Suoerglide correction is the least stressful way to go. I can give you shorter and faster as I travel from Hunting Town MD to the Springfield MA area a lot. However I suggest you take the way recommended. The drive will be much less stressful and not much longer. With a fifth wheeler it's the way I would go.

Alternate to the above would be to come up the NJ Garden State to 287 E. go over the Tappan Zee bridge. hook up with 684 North to 84 E. Continue on 84 until you connect to Mass 90 E (toll road) in Sturbridge. It's faster and not to bad a drive providing you don't do it during rush hour. The hardest part of the drive is in Hartford CT.
    Are you talking about the Garden State Parkway? I'm not sure but I think they allow passenger cars only - at least in NY that is the way it is. Plus low overpasses on the one in NY.

The OP is pulling a 13k# 5th wheel with a height of 13'1".
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere Ol Man View Post

^^^^ This is the route I usually take.

You can't drive Rt. 15 (Merritt Parkway/Wilbur cross Parkway) in CT with an RV or trailer so that path is closed to you. So you're kinda stuck with either I-95 or I-84 unless you want to go well out of your way and take the Taconic Parkway all the way up to Albany, NY and then pick up I-90 there.

I know you said you wanted to stay on the Interstate as much as possible but taking I-84 all the way up to the MA Turnpike is a bit out of your way. If you take I-84 up to Hartford you can jump off on 384 and then take CT-6 (which becomes RI-6) straight into Providence RI. It's a pretty straight shot but a little hilly in places. Once you're in Providence you can jump onto I-95 for a few miles, pick up I-495 south and take that all the way to Bourne.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast