Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Dump trailer advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-28-2016 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks

Dump trailer advice

I'm researching dump trailers, and am trying to decide between deckover or low profile 6 x 10.

The trailer is for personal use to haul yard waste to the town yard waste compost facility, loam, gravel and pea stone, and mulch from the local nursery, and to move debris around my yard from all the dead hemlocks on my property for disposal.

I am leaning towards a deckover because i want a narrower trailer for manuvering around in the woods on my trails. My only hesitation is that none of the trailer dealers in my area stock deckover dump trailers, which makes me think there is something i am missing by going against the grain. I would have to custom order a deckover dump trailer.

The town compost site is only 2 miles away, and the nursery is 5 miles, so the negative towing impact is minimal from the higher center of gravity and aerodynamic resistance of the deckover. I have a car hauler for moving my tractor or other equipment, so the equipment loading advantage of the low profile dump is minimized, but not entirely negated.

The deckover has the manuverability benefit, easier loading from the side with the tractor, and the ability to dump better piles of gravel or other material because the higher deck. I also imagine it will have better ground clearance over rough terrain.

My question is, is there anything i'm missing here? I think the deckover is clearly better for my purposes.

Is my use case substantially different from the average dump trailer buyer that i am correct in going with a deckover than a low profile dump? It seems to me that everyone buys the low profile dump trailers.

I am favoring cam superline trailers.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    I like the idea of the deckover dump trailer. I did not even know they made them. You will have a wider bed, therefore be able to haul more and that could be important for things like brush or other lighter loads. Maybe I am just prejudiced as I have a gooseneck deckover trailer. I can tell you that it is really nice to have the flat deck to load onto.

Dave
    Levi likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stamanti View Post
    The deckover has the manuverability benefit, easier loading from the side with the tractor, and the ability to dump better piles of gravel or other material because the higher deck. I also imagine it will have better ground clearance over rough terrain.
    I'm not sure why the deckover would be any more (or less) manuverable than a low profile. Just speaking from my own experience dragging a trailer through the woods but my biggest problem has been the trailer width and dealing with that. My dump trailer is only 4' wide and I've rubbed it up against trees while trying to make turns between trees through the woods. The Cam Superline deckover and low profile dump trailers are the same width so that would all seem to be a wash between them. They also have identical ground clearance. The lower frame and axle setup is identical on both trailers. What makes the deckover sit up higher is an additional 6" tall frame mounted to the bottom of the trailer bed.

My question is, is there anything i'm missing here? I think the deckover is clearly better for my purposes.

Is my use case substantially different from the average dump trailer buyer that i am correct in going with a deckover than a low profile dump? It seems to me that everyone buys the low profile dump trailers.
    I don't think you are missing anything per se. I think most people opt for a low profile because they anticipate towing it at highway speeds and the lower center of gravity helps with handling. It also helps with being able to utilize your rear view mirror and for those times when you are backing up. A lower deck and tailgate height gives better rearward visibility from the driver's seat.
    Superglidesport and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jim,

My impression was that the 6x10 deckover versus low pro dumps have the same box size, but the deckover will be about a foot narrower because the wheels don't protrude from the sides. The narrower width is where i presumed the deckover would be more manuverable in the woods.

Am i totally wrong on this?

I haven't seen the trailers in person, so i don't really know, and the manufacturers don't seem to post overall width in their specs.
    Levi likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Jim,

My impression was that the 6x10 deckover versus low pro dumps have the same box size, but the deckover will be about a foot narrower because the wheels don't protrude from the sides. The narrower width is where i presumed the deckover would be more manuverable in the woods.

Am i totally wrong on this?

I haven't seen the trailers in person, so i don't really know, and the manufacturers don't seem to post overall width in their specs.
    Nope! You are correct.

I didn't think about the tires themselves (or the fenders). The deckover should be a total width of 6' where the low-profile would be 6' + the fender width on each side. (As you say, Cam doesn't give you that number in their spec sheets! Boooo!)
    Superglidesport and Levi like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

recent purchase

I'm researching dump trailers, and am trying to decide between deckover or low profile 6 x 10.

The trailer is for personal use to haul yard waste to the town yard waste compost facility, loam, gravel and pea stone, and mulch from the local nursery, and to move debris around my yard from all the dead hemlocks on my property for disposal.

I am leaning towards a deckover because i want a narrower trailer for manuvering around in the woods on my trails. My only hesitation is that none of the trailer dealers in my area stock deckover dump trailers, which makes me think there is something i am missing by going against the grain. I would have to custom order a deckover dump trailer.

The town compost site is only 2 miles away, and the nursery is 5 miles, so the negative towing impact is minimal from the higher center of gravity and aerodynamic resistance of the deckover. I have a car hauler for moving my tractor or other equipment, so the equipment loading advantage of the low profile dump is minimized, but not entirely negated.

I am favoring cam superline trailers.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Steve
    I recently purchased a Bri-Mar in about the same size you are looking at. First advice- go for it! I agonized for too long over getting one but now don't regret it a bit.

I think you've analyzed the issues pretty well. I do have to deal with the wheels on the side and it's a little constraining when loading dirt with my MCUT. No problem with brush but I don't have enough loader reach to fill the trailer with dirt from one side. I would check the loading height with a deckover. I bought my trailer from a person who miscalculated the height and couldn't load it with his SCUT because it was too high. You need clearance to dump a bucket so that's an issue with smaller tractors.

Either way, I would look hard at what you want/need on the tailgate. Some are two way, some are three way. Mine opens from the bottom for spreading dirt/gravel or as barn doors for dumping. It would be nice if it was a three way, spreader, barn door or top down for dumping. It's not a huge deal but would be nice to have.
    One other suggestion is to have a wireless controller on it if you are ordering. I didn't consider that but my trailer came with it and it's really nice.

Treefarmer
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have no complaints on my 6X10 deckover other than the axles not being heavy enough. I only have two 3500lb axles which only leaves ~4700 for the payload. It doesnt take much media to exceed the weight limit but the trailer is extremely handy and easy to store.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    I have had a 6 x 10 deckover for about 15 years. The small size is one of the things I really like about it. Not having fenders & wheels sticking out on both sides makes loading material from the sides, with a small compact tractor & loader, much easier. It also takes up a lot less room in my barn.

A disadvantage to a deckover is that it it difficult to haul wheeled items, such as garden tractors & golf carts, in it. You need long ramps to do it safely.
    Kennyd, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses. This puts my mind at ease with my decision to go with the deckover.

I'm planning on a barn door style tailgate, but I will see if there is a 3 way option.

As far as axles go, I think the 10k rated trailer is where I should be. I don't expect to be hauling that much weight frequently, but I think it is about $300 more for the 10k rated trailer versus the 7k rated.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses. This puts my mind at ease with my decision to go with the deckover.

I'm planning on a barn door style tailgate, but I will see if there is a 3 way option.

As far as axles go, I think the 10k rated trailer is where I should be. I don't expect to be hauling that much weight frequently, but I think it is about $300 more for the 10k rated trailer versus the 7k rated.
    Yes go with the 10k rated model. Mine is 7k rated & it is very easy to overload it.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast