one way trailer dump pump info needed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: one way trailer dump pump info needed!

  1. Top | #1
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,247
    Thanks
    3,039
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

    one way trailer dump pump info needed!

    hello-my youngest son has built a dump trailer, only to find his pump and cylinder will not work. now when he and his buddy hot wired it off the trailer, it lifted him up. now this pump and cylinder we have no way telling how old it is, only to go off the man that owned it before, and my son saw it work when it was mounted on a different truck.

    we loooked for a tag no., on the case -none. it had some type of a screw and a plunger type thingee with some o-rings on it. but i do not see anything to let the air out, so the trailer will sit back down. jus thought i would run ideas past all of u fellas first. thanks-big jim-gotta go, been up all night watching son build this trailer of his-later.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

    vacruiser (06-22-2016)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,558
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 821 Times in 538 Posts

    What goes up. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    hello-my youngest son has built a dump trailer, only to find his pump and cylinder will not work. now when he and his buddy hot wired it off the trailer, it lifted him up. now this pump and cylinder we have no way telling how old it is, only to go off the man that owned it before, and my son saw it work when it was mounted on a different truck.

    we loooked for a tag no., on the case -none. it had some type of a screw and a plunger type thingee with some o-rings on it. but i do not see anything to let the air out, so the trailer will sit back down. jus thought i would run ideas past all of u fellas first. thanks-big jim-gotta go, been up all night watching son build this trailer of his-later.
    There has to be a valve somewhere to allow the hydraulic fluid to flow back. It could be a manual valve or electric but there has to be one. It could even be built into the pump assembly. The previous owner could probably tell him where it's located.

    Treefarmer
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  5. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,933
    Thanks
    1,068
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    A couple of pics would be very helpful in letting us help you.
    felixm22 and BigJim55 like this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.


  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,676
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 880 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    but i do not see anything to let the air out, so the trailer will sit back down.
    Air? Is this a pneumatic lift or hydraulic lift?

    I have a single-acting hydraulic cylinder on my dump trailer. The valve system is all enclosed in the same box as the hydro pump but essentially, the pump kicks in and the valve opens to pressurize the cylinder to lift the dump bed. When I select the "Down" mode, the valve opens but the pump doesn't operate. That allows the weight of the dump body to force the hydro fluid out of the cylinder, through the valve and back into the reservoir.

    I would think most pneumatic systems would operate on a very similar premise.
    BigJim55 and OldmanX like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  8. Top | #5
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,247
    Thanks
    3,039
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    There has to be a valve somewhere to allow the hydraulic fluid to flow back. It could be a manual valve or electric but there has to be one. It could even be built into the pump assembly. The previous owner could probably tell him where it's located.

    Treefarmer
    yeah we thought of that too, but the boy has had this for 2yrs already laying in his corner of garage, and we believe things are missing from it, they tried it hooking jumper cables to it before hand, it went up once,it is old, he thought he had a million bucks with it-u know the feeling -right

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    A couple of pics would be very helpful in letting us help you.
    yeah-i know-and i will try tomorrow to get some-running blind here

    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Air? Is this a pneumatic lift or hydraulic lift?

    I have a single-acting hydraulic cylinder on my dump trailer. The valve system is all enclosed in the same box as the hydro pump but essentially, the pump kicks in and the valve opens to pressurize the cylinder to lift the dump bed. When I select the "Down" mode, the valve opens but the pump doesn't operate. That allows the weight of the dump body to force the hydro fluid out of the cylinder, through the valve and back into the reservoir.

    I would think most pneumatic systems would operate on a very similar premise.
    not air-same kinda deal as a snow plow set up. he did say it had a push button to raise it, but really didn't know how it came downi told him it had to have some sort of manual valve to drop it back down. u know- no operating manuals with it, not that my son didn't have enough time to come up with one, in 2 yrs-thanks oh
    gbnpp05 likes this.
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Location
    Calgary AB, Canada
    Posts
    730
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 54 Times in 52 Posts
    Did he figure it out?

    On some single acting, gravity down systems there is only one line going to the bottom of the cylinder and the top port just has a breather on it. If you capped that port instead of allowing it to breath it could cause it to not come back down.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,558
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 821 Times in 538 Posts

    Not sure on cap

    Quote Originally Posted by clayh View Post
    Did he figure it out?

    On some single acting, gravity down systems there is only one line going to the bottom of the cylinder and the top port just has a breather on it. If you capped that port instead of allowing it to breath it could cause it to not come back down.
    I don't think the ram would expand either, unless you extended it and then capped the breather. The air has to be able to leave the ram or you have hydraulic pressure on one side, air pressure on the other. You might compress the air some but couldn't fully extend the ram.

    Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Location
    Burton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,760
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 440 Times in 348 Posts
    Generally with these systems lifting runs the pump motor through a directional valve that is not energized or shifted so it is in its "normal" position. To lower you have to energize or shift the valve. This type of operation is typical so that a loss of power would not result in a load dropping.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

  12. Top | #9
    BigJim55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Location
    Schellsburg, PA
    Posts
    11,247
    Thanks
    3,039
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

    results

    ok-fellas it is working now. he took the line off cylinder and used air to cylinder and at 100psi it went right up. last evening his buddy got the little rod unstuck from the bigger valveIDK-what the correct word would be called that screws down inside the pump.. but today he replaced the o-rings on both pieces, and he found 2 small bearings with a small spring still suck in the bottom of the hole. he put everything back together hooked hose back to cylinder. hooked juice to pump and it went right up. and when he moved the rod it came back down, now he said it went down slowly, but likely may have some air in it yet. so he just has to fix a switch to make it go up, and a new lever of some sort to go down, he is happy, so thanks will show uns pics when done-ok
    jim

    2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

    2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

  13. Top | #10

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Location
    Somerset, Pa.
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Big Jim...i think they all return/drop slowly when the trailer is empty. They likely restrict the return flow of the hyd fluid to cushion the bed drop.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jim

    1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

    Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

    orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •