Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Lucas Oil

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks

Lucas Oil

Has anyone used the Lucas oil that you mix into you engine oil. It's supposed to help stop oil burn off. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 V8 engine with 215,000 miles & I'm starting to burn oil & would like to slow it down. The truck is only used to make short runs to the recycle center (fancy for dump) & picking up building materials. Total truck use over a month's time is maybe 75-100 miles at under 50 MPH. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    You are better off to go up a weight or 2 in oil than use Lucas. The "stabilizer" only thickens the oil and waters down the original stock's additive package as the Lucas contains no detergents or anti-wear additives. If it was mine, I'd swap out the oil for some 15w40 and motor on. My uncle did that in his 95 Chevy pickup a number of years ago... before my cousin totaled it.

Side note: my dad sells Lucas products but I do not advocate for anything other than the 2 stroke oil and injector cleaner. I use those 2 a lot but won't touch the rest of their products.
    Last edited by DeereNC; 06-21-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: a word
    Maddog and gbnpp05 like this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeereNC For This Useful Post:

Maddog (06-22-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 07:39 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeereNC View Post
    You are better off to go up a weight or 2 in oil than use Lucas. The "stabilizer" only thickens the oil and waters down the original stock's additive package as the Lucas contains no detergents or anti-wear additives. If it was mine, I'd swap out the oil for some 15w40 and motor on. My uncle did that in his 95 Chevy pickup a number of years ago... before my cousin totaled it.

Side note: my dad sells Lucas products but I do not advocate for anything other than the 2 stroke oil and injector cleaner. I use those 2 a lot but won't touch the rest of their products.
    ^^^ x 2 ^^^
    With that amount of miles and distances traveled I'm guessing valve seals and/or rings kapuut.
    johnH123 likes this.
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gbnpp05 View Post
    ^^^ x 2 ^^^
    With that amount of miles and distances traveled I'm guessing valve seals and/or rings kapuut.
    My thinking exactly. You would be better off rebuilding the engine and tranny then use additives and put off the real issue.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeereNC View Post

Interesting comment. I've been going back & forth about the Lucas oil additive Vs. a heavier oil. Actually, I was thinking of using either Shell Rotella 15W 40 or Deer's 15W 40. But then I thought those oils are just for Diesel engines? But in an engine with 215,000K I think I would be ok with either brands. I looked for a 15W40 labeled for gas engines ( my truck is a gas engine-not diesel) but could not find any on the shelf. Do you think I can use the 15W40 diesel stuff OK? Thanks.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gbnpp05 View Post
    ^^^ x 2 ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    My thinking exactly. You would be better off rebuilding the engine and tranny then use additives and put off the real issue.
    Actually, I think it's valve seals- maybe rings too. When I first start it up I can hear "clicking". When the oil starts flowing & she runs about a minute it quiets down & smooth's out. If I do a lot of forward & reverse moves, I will blow out a light puff of very light exhaust & I can smell it as well as see it.

Yes- The real thing to do is to either swap out the engine or rebuild. But the reality is the cost as with most issues. Also I only use this vehicle to make a run to the county dump about twice a month. The other use is for hauling some lumber & landscaping materials on the various home projects I'm working on. Picking up building materials does not happen every day or that often. This truck sometimes sits for two to three weeks or longer before I need to use it for the dump or the lumber yard. So to sink any money into it has no real payback for me. If I had to guess at it a engine swap is probably a $5k deal & a rebuild would not be too far behind that. Thanks for the opinions.
    johnH123 likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Before doing anything check your crankcase ventilation system for blockage. It may be something as simple as a clogged vacuum port.
    dieselshadow, Maddog and gbnpp05 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

Maddog (06-23-2016)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    You can run most diesel rated oils in a gasoline engine.
    I used to run Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil in my 2005 Dodge Ram SRT 10 with a Viper engine because of the additive package.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

Maddog (06-23-2016)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    How much oil does it consume between oil changes or per 1000 miles? If its a quart or less, I wouldn't stress over it. You can go to a thicker oil but really if the oil consumption is not that alarming why bother. It sounds with your use, the truck will last a really long time before it dies. Depending on the engine that is in it, you can find a used one from the junk yard (with less miles or at least in better shape) and have it swapped in for a lot less than your $5k estimate. I would just keep the engine oil topped off and go with it, unless you have to pass some sort of emissions test/inspection.

You can get it diagnosed on whether it is rings or valves. If the problem is in the cylinder heads, then that is a considerably cheaper fix than a complete rebuild.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Maddog (06-23-2016)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    Just a suggestion to check the coolant and rad often in addition to the oil issue you are dealing with. I had a '87 F150 that i used similarly....dump runs and material pickup about once per month. I didn't check the rad as often as I should have - overheated the engine on the way back from a dump run and found a really sludged up rad.
    Maddog likes this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Titleist1 For This Useful Post:

Maddog (06-23-2016)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast