Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Aftermarket backup camera suggestions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Aftermarket backup camera suggestions

Mrs. Evergreen wanted to drive my 'new' truck home from Home Depot last night. Watching her attempting a 17 point turn just to get out of the parking spot made me realize a few things: first, I think the 'limo truck' intimidates her just a bit (to be fair, she isn't much taller than the hood), and second, that it does have a massive blind spot behind it. Besides, it would make hooking up trailers much easier.

Like most of you, when I am told to go shopping for truck or tractor parts, I don't make jokes or ask questions, I scurry away before she can take it back and the hunt begins!

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a backup camera to add to my SuperDuty. I would probably prefer wired to wireless since I would have to run a power cable anyway. I have seen some where the screen is built into the rear view mirror and I would prefer that over a monitor sitting on my dashboard.

Please help me spend my money!
    wildbranch2007 and tj1 like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    I'll be curious what people suggest.

The best suggestion I have is to avoid parking in places requiring reverse if possible. I always hunt for a spot that I can pull in and pull out going forward, especially with the truck.
    DRobinson and wildbranch2007 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Subscribed. With an extended cab and long bed it would be nice. The truck sticks way out even when properly parked.

I back into spots when there are no pull through ones, to make it easier to get in and out of the spot, and try to find edge spots where i can back up until the tires hit the curb. It would be easier to see how close a really am to the vehicle behind me.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    She can't back it up.
    Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to keep her from driving your new truck. LOL

Just tell her a pretty girl never needs to drive. She will always be able too find someone to take her. lol
    Heard that one from an old timer when I was younger. His wife never even had a drivers license.
    mjncad likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    Here is the one I've been contemplating. Our 2014 Ford F-150 SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed is quite long.

https://camera-source.com/automotive...rror-1631.html

It's quite expensive but all of the others I've researched seem to have a number of flaws.

Our 2011 F-350 has an OEM camera and I've not sure how I'd get along without it. In this day and age, manufacturers should make rear cameras standard equipment on full-size trucks. I even wish I had a front camera!
    Last edited by rod330; 07-31-2016 at 06:51 AM.
    mjncad, Evergreen and tj1 like this.
    2011 Deere 3720 Cab | 2007 Deere 3720 Open Station | 1974 Deere 2030 | 1980 Deere 2440
    1998 Massey Ferguson 240S | 1975 Ford 3000 | 1972 Ford 2000 | 1964 Oliver 550
    1958 International Cub LoBoy | 1956 Ferguson F-40 | 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45
    X720 Ultimate | X540 | GT225
    2014 825i Deere Gator | 2007 850D Deere Gator

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Backup cameras will be a federally mandated option starting next year on new vehicles IIRC.
    tj1 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,211 Posts
    I bought mine from eBay.
    There is a large selection to choose from. I bought the parts separately (monitor, camera, wiring..etc.) On my last truck (Silverado) I installed a small camera within the HMSL (high mount stop light). I could see things in the bed of the truck; and cars/people behind me.

These are custom fit, but pricey.

EDIT: Found a pic.
    Last edited by flyweight; 07-31-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    mjncad and Zebrafive like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Backup cameras will be a federally mandated option starting next year on new vehicles IIRC.
    It's interesting that rear backup cameras may become federally mandated but visually and situationally impaired elderly or those with certain medical conditions are allowed to drive. Not a week goes by that some elderly person drives through the front of a building because they're depressing the accelerator instead of the brake.

Just yesterday an elderly man driving a minivan made a left turn from a side street in front of Ms. SGS and myself while we were out riding. He never saw us at the intersection. Two cruisers riding staggered with headlights and driving lights on. That's 6 front facing headlights. Ms. SGS was leading and locked the brakes. A miracle she recovered and stopped just a couple of feet before she would have been taken out. The old dude was completely unaware and just drove away. He couldn't have heard both horns blaring either.

I guess my point is that while all of the technology can be helpful many new "laws" are a knee jerk reaction and are ill conceived.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    It's interesting that rear backup cameras may become federally mandated but visually and situationally impaired elderly or those with certain medical conditions are allowed to drive. Not a week goes by that some elderly person drives through the front of a building because they're depressing the accelerator instead of the brake.

Just yesterday an elderly man driving a minivan made a left turn from a side street in front of Ms. SGS and myself while we were out riding. He never saw us at the intersection. Two cruisers riding staggered with headlights and driving lights on. That's 6 front facing headlights. Ms. SGS was leading and locked the brakes. A miracle she recovered and stopped just a couple of feet before she would have been taken out. The old dude was completely unaware and just drove away. He couldn't have heard both horns blaring either.

I guess my point is that while all of the technology can be helpful many new "laws" are a knee jerk reaction and are ill conceived.
    Agreed. I think there should be some sort of standard or testing of some kind for older folks. You pass, you keep your driving privileges.

My FIL has been overly stubborn and pig-headed about his driving, yet we have no legal recourse from preventing him from driving. He poses a massive danger to himself and everyone around him. And there's nothing we can do but watch it happen.
    Superglidesport, Zebrafive and tj1 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    My work van is a '07 Chevy 1 ton van chassis with a 10' walk in service body on it. It is huge with no way to see whats behind it. After a couple of weeks, I noticed that tailgating Honda's disappear from my mirrors. One of my customers has a large national fleet of butt ugly brown trucks. I looked at what they had at the time. It was Voyagers mostly. I went on line and found a factory reconditioned unit the was really built for RV's. I can remotely angle the camera down to the hitch and then back up to see what's hiding behind me. I can add corner cameras that activate when I turn on my turn signals. Really cool but a large 7" screen while looks very natural in the upper part of my van, it would not on the dash of a pick up. I was able to flush mount the screen in the wind deflector on my work truck. I really wanted a schnauzer poo flinger to hit the tailgaters with but it seems no one makes those.

I recently purchased a personal van. The only options that they did not have was the parking assist and the back up camera. Makes no sense. You have a vehicle darn near 245" long and no way to see what's behind the vehicle. I would have optioned for the navigation system simply so I could have the larger screen rather than the smaller in the rear view mirror unit but even the small one is much better. I wonder if the wiring is there and I can simply add them. I am leery of most of aftermarket gadgets in cars. They tend to be cheesy.

I too will be watching to see what is out there. Good luck!

isaac
    mjncad likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast