OK Guys- Off Topic, so don't beat me up!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Scotty370
  • 1 Post By Kennyd
  • 1 Post By Hudsoner
  • 1 Post By Jeeper4Life
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy

Thread: OK Guys- Off Topic, so don't beat me up!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

OK Guys- Off Topic, so don't beat me up!

I know this isn't JD related but we all own vehicles! I've had about seven or eight jeeps, but pretty much all vehicles have 'Fob' remotes for lock/unlock. My remote will lock/unlock my doors from 2-300' without problem. (2001 Grand Cherokee Limited). My wifes (2004 Grand Cherokee Larado) will not function, unless she's right at the window! And may have to go to the Passenger Side etc. Batteries are not the issue, they've been changed several times! Two questions for the 'Brain Trust' that might know something about remotes: (A) Where are the receivers for such a unit in the vehicle, and (B) Could it be that her remote is a few 'hertz' off of a proper program and has to be re-programmed??? I'll file this under "Jeep Dilemma" just so I can keep in the "JD" theme......... TIA ~Scotty

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    From reading on the Jeep forums, I remember something about those models having keyless entry receivers that go bad. The receiver is actually on the passenger side of the vehicle and that would explain why it sometimes needs to be on that side to work. Once you replace the receiver, you would have to reprogram the remotes. If memory serves me, these are about a 150-200 dollar item.

Brian

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (04-25-2013), Scotty370 (04-13-2013)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks Brian!

I've got other issues with the car. A 'Lazy' driver Side lock solinoid etc. It's just an annoyance that I'd like to resolve. I went to the JeepForum that I'm a member of, and looked to no avail. Those other forums are not my cup of tea! You can see folks waiting forever! Posts from 2010-11!!!! We're so blessed to have an active community here at GTT! Thanks for all you folks do in that regard! ~Scotty
    farmgirl19 likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Its not "Off-Topic" now, I moved it to the truck forum ;)
    Scotty370 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-28-2016 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    I've got other issues with the car. A 'Lazy' driver Side lock solinoid etc. It's just an annoyance that I'd like to resolve. I went to the JeepForum that I'm a member of, and looked to no avail. Those other forums are not my cup of tea! You can see folks waiting forever! Posts from 2010-11!!!! We're so blessed to have an active community here at GTT! Thanks for all you folks do in that regard! ~Scotty
    I have a 1996 GC , and I know from this one that the lock solenoid is a simple open/close part. If it slow it might need some lubrication or be cleaned form old lubs that accumulated dust and grime and cause the solenoid piston to bind a little.
    Scotty370 likes this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    Every time you call your Jeep a 'car' god kills a kitten..just remember that.

You could try LOST jeeps, thats the site I belong too and there are some WJ (your model jeep) owners on there that might be able to help out.
    ejb69 likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeper4Life For This Useful Post:

Scotty370 (04-13-2013)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper4Life View Post
    Every time you call your Jeep a 'car' god kills a kitten..just remember that.

You could try LOST jeeps, thats the site I belong too and there are some WJ (your model jeep) owners on there that might be able to help out.
    Jeeper- I wanted to give the group and update (And I'll try to preserve 'Kittens) Well, get it into the shop. Mech tears into it and calls me yesterday AM. The wire harness that come from the "A" Pillar (Hinged door Jamb, if you will) to the Driver door is all cracked and shorted! He said, This thing is 'Beat'! Said a couple people have been in there before as there were two different styles of repair! He calls around and orders one! Closest one is in Cleveland! ($300 bucks, yikes! Just for the harness) OK, Overnight it! Well, It comes in, and it's the door harness, that ends, at an connection block at the jamb! Where I have the 'grief' is inside the rubber corragated sleeve that flexes, everytime the door opens/closes. Well, that part of the harness (that includes the corrugated rubber jacket, covers the whole front cowl for the mere price of $1100- for the part! Not including pulling out the entire dash out for the install! Bottom line? Well, he Spliced, soldered, shrink wrapped, wire-tied and siliconed the repaired area for $200-! Everything works! Hope it lasts! I can't say enough about having a mechanic that you can trust! Some will say that A) He ordered the wrong Part, or B) He should have 'cobbled it together' in the first place. I would have preferred to have it replaced, if it could have been done within reason. Good mechanics are priceless, and I feel they're a dying breed! Now you need a Computer Tech. ~Scotty

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Glad it's fixed!

I think your mechanic did exactly the right thing. Replace the damaged harness when it's feasible, if it isn't then attempt a repair. If he soldered and heat shrinked, he's already ahead of the game. I've seen way too many guys use crimp on butt splices to fix broken wires, which inevitably results in broken wires again when the butt splice fails.
    Scotty370 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements