Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Problem with brakes

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-22-2019 @ 10:55 AM
    Thanks

Problem with brakes

I have a 2011 F-250 that tells you info about the brakes and trailer. I noticed yesterday while towing tractor and 2 full pallets of mulch it kept jumping around from saying trailer connected to trailer not connected. That basically means that it quit detecting the brakes for that moment of time. And kept jumping back and forth (not safe because the trailer brakes stop working at that point). When I got home I notice that my trailer plug was really HOT and I mean hot! This a gooseneck by the way so it plugs into the bed. Wondering which way the heat went I felt up the lead going to the trailer and after about 24 inches it wasn't hot any more. The female plug in the truck bed was extremely hot as well.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem and excessive heat build up? Not sure where to start looking first.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bwalton84; 08-17-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    2016 3039R , 2010 X500 /w 54" deck
    H165 FEL /w Heavy Duty Bucket, Home Made Ballast box, 40 gallon 3pt sprayer, Frontier SS1023B broadcast spreader, Home made Ratchet Rake, RB2060 Rear Blade. Ken's Bolt on hooks, Pallet Forks, Bucket mount shovel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Thanks
    Heat, without a blow fuse which would indicate a short circuit, indicates high resistance. Intermittent information indicates connection failure. Most likely cause is a worn or corroded connection on the plug
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 08-17-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    OldmanX and johnH123 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2011 F250. When I had that problem on my gooseneck, it was in the trailer brakes. Sounds like something is shorting out.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 836 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    Heat, without a blow fuse which would indicate a short circuit, indicates high resistance. Intermittent information indicates connection failure. Most likely cause is a worn or corroded connection on the plug
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I have a 2011 F250. When I had that problem on my gooseneck, it was in the trailer brakes. Sounds like something is shorting out.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
    Is the power connection a fuse or a circuit breaker? My brake controller has a self resetting circuit breaker. If you have a short, the circuit breaker will open, when it cools it will reset itself.

Time to break out the multimeter.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    Is the power connection a fuse or a circuit breaker? My brake controller has a self resetting circuit breaker. If you have a short, the circuit breaker will open, when it cools it will reset itself.

Time to break out the multimeter.
    Yep DMM or VOM will certainly help here. I would first recommend a visual and mechanical inspection of the connector as that's where the heat is it would indicate that is where the problem is.
    rtgt likes this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll take the trailer wire plug apart and see what I find in there first and report back.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts

Problem with brakes

Overheating of the trailer socket and plug usually are an indication of corrosion, high resistance causing voltage drop and high current load across the poor connection. Clean both sides of the connector terminals, apply some dielectric grease and you should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, rtgt, OldmanX and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    This ^^^^ plus open up the plug and socket and check/clean/tighten those connections too.
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Curious which brake controller you have?
    Prodigy?

If your magnets in the backing plates are worn through...you will get similar results to what you described from your controller.

The heat in the wire is another issue & perhaps related to above.
    IDK
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I had time to work on the truck and trailer today. I started with the trailer plug, took it apart checked all the connections and put some more grease on it. That didn't fix the problem. The Barnes under the truck for the goose neck plug was my next stop. I took it apart, all looked good and tight plus new grease. Didn't fix. Unplugged the gooseneck harness at the bumper/factory plug. It had got some water in it and minor corroding. I thought ahha, cleaned it all up put new grease in it and put it all back together. And.....still didn't work! Started checking fuses pulled every fuse with the word trailer in it. They were all good!

As of today they don't work at all. Truck info center in the gauge cluster says trailer connected, I can see the gain amount and all. But when I even touch the brakes it says trailer disconnected. When I let off the brakes it says trailer connected and all is back to normal. All lights work perfectly.

At this point I'm at a loss. Beer comes out. Only one other thing I haven't thought to check. Maybe it isn't the truck. I go up to my father inlaws and plug in his camper. Works perfect!!! I step on the brakes and the gain goes up just like it should.

So tomorrow evening I guess I'll start trouble shooting the trailer. Glad to know it isn't in the truck though. For some reason it senses the bakes are there but when you press the brakes it looses connection. Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!
    rtgt and johnH123 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast