Slotted and drilled rotors? Brand preferences?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Slotted and drilled rotors? Brand preferences?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks

Slotted and drilled rotors? Brand preferences?

Well, it was bound to happen. I am getting ready to tear into the rear brakes on my 08 F250 (only 87K miles) to troubleshoot a problem with the drum in hat (DIH) parking brakes. It is a safe bet that I will be replacing the backing plates as the consensus is that the problems I am having are likely because the brake shoe attachment pins have pulled through the backing plates.

If I am going to tear it apart, I am going to install new pads and rotors. I have no current issues, but all 4 wheels are at about 3/16" pad remaining. This is the 2nd set of pads on both axles (due to caliper issues that caused premature bad failure on one wheel on each axle!). I am definitely planning to install new rotors and pads on all 4 wheels. Other than a seized caliper and a stuck caliper slide, I have never had any complaints with these brakes. The rotors are not warped. I tow a 13K lb trailer and have never really felt like the truck brakes have fallen short.

So, the question is: Do I spend the extra money for drilled and slotted rotors? I have heard mixed reviews on whether you can even tell a difference on some vehicles. I have been looking at the 4 wheel Power Stop kits that include rotors, pads, and hardware. The price goes from $300 to almost $500 between their daily driver and heavy duty/towing (drilled and slotted) rotors. I say rotors, but assume that the pads are also different.

A friend of mine has had good luck with these "other" brands on ebay. I have never heard of any of the brands. They claim guarantees and great reviews. And the price is significantly cheaper. I have seen drilled and slotted kits for around $300. So, is it more important to have a brand name or the upgraded rotors/pads?

Thanks for your input,

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    Well, it was bound to happen. I am getting ready to tear into the rear brakes on my 08 F250 (only 87K miles) to troubleshoot a problem with the drum in hat (DIH) parking brakes. It is a safe bet that I will be replacing the backing plates as the consensus is that the problems I am having are likely because the brake shoe attachment pins have pulled through the backing plates.

If I am going to tear it apart, I am going to install new pads and rotors. I have no current issues, but all 4 wheels are at about 3/16" pad remaining. This is the 2nd set of pads on both axles (due to caliper issues that caused premature bad failure on one wheel on each axle!). I am definitely planning to install new rotors and pads on all 4 wheels. Other than a seized caliper and a stuck caliper slide, I have never had any complaints with these brakes. The rotors are not warped. I tow a 13K lb trailer and have never really felt like the truck brakes have fallen short.

So, the question is: Do I spend the extra money for drilled and slotted rotors? I have heard mixed reviews on whether you can even tell a difference on some vehicles. I have been looking at the 4 wheel Power Stop kits that include rotors, pads, and hardware. The price goes from $300 to almost $500 between their daily driver and heavy duty/towing (drilled and slotted) rotors. I say rotors, but assume that the pads are also different.

A friend of mine has had good luck with these "other" brands on ebay. I have never heard of any of the brands. They claim guarantees and great reviews. And the price is significantly cheaper. I have seen drilled and slotted kits for around $300. So, is it more important to have a brand name or the upgraded rotors/pads?

Thanks for your input,

Lee
    You don't really need drilled and slotted rotors on a work truck. Especially if the stock brakes are getting the job done. Just get name brand parts from a quality supplier. Stay away from TiaChiKo crap.

I had a set of slotted rotors on the front of my 2001 Wrangler. They maybe stopped a little bit better but rusted out just like the rest.
    dzldanz likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Spending any more than OEM quality on your truck is a waste of money. Now, IF I were autocrossing a sports car that would be a different story. If it were my vehicle, and I've done plenty of brake work on my vehicles, I'd replace the brake parts using name brand or OEM quality parts.
    mjncad, glc, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    I appreciate the input. I put Motorcraft pads on it last time. I have been struggling with this decision because I generally like to do things "better than original". I realize, in the end, that this is not always the right thing to do.

Lee
    pcabe5 likes this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Check out Brake Performance.com. They offer slotted, drilled and slotted and smooth in your choice of Zinc plated black or silver. They have a lifetime guaranty and members on other forums have reported that they don't bicker and will definitely send out replacements if required. I put as set of drilled and slotted on my sporty car but wish I had just gone smooth. The car used to hang you in the seat belts under breaking with factory gear but now under very hard breaking there is vibration from the aggressive rotors and lots more brake dust I feel. Very nice prices I feel as well with free shipping on most good sized purchases.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    I appreciate the input. I put Motorcraft pads on it last time. I have been struggling with this decision because I generally like to do things "better than original". I realize, in the end, that this is not always the right thing to do.

Lee
    I use all OEM parts on my truck including brakes and rotors. If it works, why change?

I don't trust any parts that come from auto parts stores - usually very hard to find the country of origin. I will not put sub-par parts on my truck - especially brakes.

There was a post in another thread about a week ago about using OEM parts vs. aftermarket from a member who is involved with making OEM parts. Very interesting - I'll see if I can find it....
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, the price is a lot more (in most cases) for OEM, but there will usually never be a complaint about the product. I've never bought anything other than GM, so I can't say for the other brands, but I have found RockAuto to carry a lot of the same (OEM) parts. A heck of a lot cheaper too. I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by glc; 10-30-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    I also use Rock Auto when purchasing OEM replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    pcabe5 likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I just placed two large orders with Rock Auto. They're the Green Farm Parts of the auto parts industry.
    glc, pcabe5, ljnelson109 and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    My front brakes on my 2013 F150 were shot at 35k miles. I live in Atlanta and most of my drive time is spent in traffic. I bought drilled and slotted rotors with pads from Rock Auto and now at almost 70k, they are only about 50% worn.

If you spend time in traffic like I do, they are worth the money.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

vacruiser (10-31-2016)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast