Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 2007 unit bearing hub failure

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks

2007 unit bearing hub failure

Last Saturday my daughter who is in college 100 miles away called. She said the truck was making a grinding noise like it was dragging something down the road beneath her feet. She also said the ABS light was coming on and going off. She said it was not making the noise all the time only intermittently. She said she looked under the truck and nothing was dragging.

I asked if any noise when just the engine running, not moving. To rule out serpentine idlers or alternator. No.
    So I asked it made the noise when turning or going straight. She said not that she could tell.

Because of the ABS light, I am thinking unit bearing/hub.

I ask when she plans to come home next. She says Thanksgiving. OK, LMK if it gets worse.

Monday morning she calls and says the noise is all the time now and ABS light is staying on. She's worried. I tell her she needs to bring it home. She says she has to work until 6PM and then come home, should be there by 8PM

7:30 she calls and says she is 20 miles from home and it's real bad now, that it caught fire, but she got it out.

I call a buddy and we are off to the farm for the trailer, chains, chain come-a-long and chain binders. When we get there the left front wheel is leaning. There is grease all over everything behind the wheel. The outer CV joint boot is torn.

By 10PM we have it home and unloaded and in the pole barn.

Tuesday is opening day firearms deer season. No truck work until Wednesday.

Wednesday I take it apart enough to determine what parts are needed. Unit bearing/hub assembly, CV axle assembly (I am not sure if I can just replace the lost grease and put on a new boot, so I opt for a complete axle assembly). Caliper bracket, the outer part is bent. the rotor has worn both ends of it. One caliper pin is seized and bent. The spring clips that hold the pads are bent and show heat damage. I order parts and complete disassembly and clean usable parts. I also ordered the right side unit bearing hub assembly, since as far as I know it has the same miles as the left side. The parts are coming from 3 different warehouses. Overnight shipping is $160, 2-3 day is $30. regular 7-14 day is $25. I pick 2-3 day shipping.

Thursday, both unit bearing/hub assembles arrive. I get them installed.

Friday everything else arrives and I get it all installed. I checked the "oil life" monitor for the engine and it's showing 25%. So I also change the oil and filter, better now with it 65° than later at 15°

With the bearing "gone" the CV axle wore away part of the head of one of the three attaching bolts for bearing /hub. I used a cutoff grinder to cut through the bearing /hub and bolt until I got it out. Later I remembered I have "rounded off bolt removing sockets" that might have worked. I went to the local U-Pull Salvage yard to see if I could find a usable one. They said they had closed down the U-Pull a couple of months ago and no longer allowed customers to enter the yard. So I went to the local dealer. That bolt was over $9

Unit bearing/hub $128 x 2
    CV axle assembly $80
    Caliper bracket $20
    Caliper pin kit $7
    Brake hardware kit $9
    Special bolt $9

I am guessing a shop would have charged $1200-$ 1500 No idea what the tow bill would have been if I could not trailer it myself

Pictures of the truck and carnage. Sorry no picture of the leaning wheel, it was too dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN7653.jpg   DSCN7655.jpg   DSCN7656.jpg   DSCN7657.jpg   DSCN7658.jpg  

DSCN7647.jpg   DSCN7650.jpg   DSCN7645.jpg   DSCN7544.jpg   DSCN7652.jpg  

J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quite an in depth repair - one that I certainly couldn't do myself.

This is the type of thing I get to look forward to in the future being I am planning to keep my truck forever....

Glad you posted a pic of the truck - had no idea what you were working on until then.
    pcabe5 and Zebrafive like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Glad you were able to fix it without too much trouble. Shame it was such a distance for her to drive it home, if you'd been able to get to it right when it first started making noise it probably wouldn't have damaged as much.

A 20 mile tow cost me $180 a couple of years ago for my red truck.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Thanks
    welcome to my world.... this type of thing is always happening on the Rhino. I've don the bearings so many times I could do it in my sleep.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Z5:

Interesting read of your repair. Although it cost a lot for parts, you saved a bundle of money doing the repair yourself. I was surprised to see the cost of the CV joint axle. I would have thought it would be much more.

Good job.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Dad to the rescue. Good work!
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    zebra five -my chevy is 06, so i've already done both sides. not the cv-joint's, as when i started to hear the bad noise, i took it in right away. back then 09-somewhere past that, cause my factory warrenty had run out, i had my other go tto garage do it, it was $300 per wheel for that stupid hub, with the abs hickee in it.

now i probably jinxed myself, as that's been how many yrs-now
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Glad you were able to fix it without too much trouble. Shame it was such a distance for her to drive it home, if you'd been able to get to it right when it first started making noise it probably wouldn't have damaged as much.

A 20 mile tow cost me $180 a couple of years ago for my red truck.
    I agree hard to diagnious by phone. I was surprised they went from an intermittent noise to total failure so soon. My wife's S10 Blazer was making the "noise" and I noticed it when we went somewhere and asked about it. She said it had been going it for a while and had forgotten to tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Z5:

Interesting read of your repair. Although it cost a lot for parts, you saved a bundle of money doing the repair yourself. I was surprised to see the cost of the CV joint axle. I would have thought it would be much more.

Good job.
    The CV axle shaft was aftermarket. I had several to choose from. I picked one with a "lifetime" warranty and a "upgrade premium" outer boot. A GM CV axle was almost $300.

The CV axle can be changed without pulling the unit bearing/hub assembly. I would rather do it than the unit bearing/hub assembly.

I am still thinking I should buy a boot for the removed CV axle and have a spare on hand. Left and right are both the same. Thank you for that GM
    Last edited by Zebrafive; 11-20-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    J

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks

Other repairs to the 2007 Silverado

While waiting for parts, I decided to see if I could get the spare tire hoist lock out. I thought the original owner did not give me a key to since the ignition key would not work. It's just a lock cylinder that inserts in the plastic tube that you insert the factory tools in to operate the spare tire hoist.

An online search told me where to drill the plastic tube to access the lock's latch, which is spring loaded. I drilled the hole and the latch would not press up. I had to hammer it up, it was all corroded. PD Blaster finally freed it up. Then I put black silicone in the hole I drilled.

Since I had the lock out. May as well check the hoist. Thanks for the suggestion/motivation Coaltrain! Well the tire would only come down a couple of inches. The cable looked fine, not rusty at all and the hoist was smooth. More online searching and I found the hoist has a secondary lock. If the cable were to break it catches the tire so it will not drop on the road. I soaked with PB Blaster.

I did not get back to the secondary lock until Saturday. It was still frozen in the locked position. I was able to snake a socket on an extension through the spare tire and remove the bolt that holds the hoist on. This gave me access to the top of the spare and the hoist. I got it freed and cleaned up and reinstalled. Now the spare raises and lowers as it should. I think from now on, every other oil change I will check the spare tire hoist. Again, my thanks to Coaltrain.

Since the truck is the top of the line LTZ it also has a tailgate lock. The ignition key did not work in it either. I assumed the ignition had been changed and I was not given the old keys. Since the spare tire hoist lock was a victim of corrosion. Maybe the tailgate lock suffered the same fate. I took it apart and sprayed it with PB Blaster. After several hours of soaking with PB Blaster it also freed up. I cleaned and lubed it and it now works as it should.

So three unexpected jobs taken care of. I am so glad to have the spare tire available if needed. I would rather work on it in a clean garage with lights and tools than in the dark, dirt and cold along some lonely road with a flat tire.
    J

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Awesome!

All it takes is once in a lifetime being stranded with something like those spare tires not coming down.

It reminds me of when I was teaching new hires at PennDot every fall on plow trucks. One part that was not on the ciriculum was installing tire chains. I would take a truck into the heated shop to go over stuff if we had a rainy/cold day - would show them how to do it and made each of them do it for me.

A lot of grumbling and "I know how to put chains on" talk. Well sometime your first winter out, you will be holding a flashlight in your mouth in the dark, tempted to lay in 6" of wet snow or sleet, with salty cold brine dripping off the truck bed down the back of your neck fighting with these chains while your road is getting so bad people are wrecking on it.

A few times over the years when I would run into someone from my class they would thank me for that.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast