Here is a quick synopsis of my 3 week rebuild on my Turbo, Up-Pipe and Exhaust replacement.
Before it all started
• Day 1: Removed the CAI. Removed the Intercooler tubes and CAC boots. Removed the spider and the boots to the plenums. Loosened up exhaust.
• Day 2: Removed the turbo. Removed pedestal. Removed all exhaust except the downpipe, decided to cut the pipe behind the muffler so I didn’t have to remove the shock.
• Day 3: Removed up-pipes. After the up-pipes were removed, that cleared the way for the downpipe to be removed otherwise would have had to remove the transmission crossmember support.
Not sure of the total time spent removing all the above components. The removed Turbo and Spider need to be cleaned before reassembly. New Up-Pipes need to be wrapped and sealed before installing.
• Day 4-8: Cleaning and prepping engine bay, engine valley and firewall. Cleaning a prepping removed turbo. Cleaning CAC tubes, foil delete.
• Day 9-10: Primer and Paint Turbo, Spider and CAC tubes. Wrapped Up-pipes.
• Day 11-14: Assembly of Turbo.
o Installed Up-Pipes, leaving manifold bolts loose and DS/Collector bolts loose.
o Pre-hung Downpipe and extension pipe. With the shorter downpipe, there was enough room to maneuver it around the PS Up-pipe.
o Mounted turbo.
o Connecting Y-collector to turbo turned out to be more of a chore than first thought. Leaving the bolts loose is a must. I had to loosen up the turbo slightly also, but not enough to disturb the O-rings. After struggling a bit, I also removed the alternator to clear room for more maneuverability. This was going to come off either way. I replaced the upper coolant hose with the Gates 22433. With more room to wiggle got the collector to mate up to the turbo and quickly tightened the v-clamp
o Connected the Downpipe to the outlet and clamped loosely. Finished installing the remaining exhaust sections and hand tightened clamps.
o Installed Plenum inserts. Very snug fit, but exactly the tolerance I’d expect.
o Installed HPx
o Installed new RiffRaff CAC boots with new clamps. Installed spider and associated sensors.
o Installed Intercooler tubes.
o Reconnected all electrical harness connections (or so I thought).
o Cleaned batteries/terminals and replaced hardware.
o Went through all my new bolts/nuts/connections and tightened to SPEC.
All Complete(I need better pics once the snow melts)
• Shelor Motormile 2U2Z9K635AA 1999-2003 FORD F-SERIES SEVERE DUTY AIS
o Easy install, fits great
• MBRP EXHAUST STORE MBRP-S6200BLK MBRP 4" Turbo Back, Single Side Black Coated
o Good Quality, Slight fitment issue. Didn’t care for the fact that one extension tube had to be cut to size to fit a standard bed crew cab.
• SP Turboost CO. 811-1206-002 GTP38 TURBO UPGRADE CHRA SPX BILLET WHEEL
o Great looking quality. Shipped promptly.
• Riff Raff GZ-14-010 GTP38 Compressor Housing O-ring
• Riff Raff GZ-14-060 Garrett Compressor Housing Outlet O-ring 99.5-03
• Riff Raff GZ-9-003 Turbo / Pedestal O-rings
• Riff Raff 451274-0005 Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet
• Riff Raff 702670-0002 Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal 99.5-03
• Riff Raff 6032168312 Turbo Pedestal Bolt Kit 99.5-03
• Riff Raff GZ-14-012 Garrett 12pt Replacement Turbo Housing Bolts
• Riff Raff RDPHHPX Stainless Steel HPX 99-03
• Riff Raff RDPABK9903 Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit 99-03
• Riff Raff RDPPRI RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts
• Riff Raff B005-7.3 Intercooler Boot Complete Clamp Kit
o All the RiffRaff items were of the best quality. Obviously I’ve purchased a good amount from them and will continue to give Clay my business in the future.
• Xtremediesel.com BD1043900 XDP 7.3L Bellowed Up Pipe Kit
o Good build quality. All the welds look to notch.
• O'Rielly Auto 22433 Gates Upper Radiator hose
o No more removing the radiator hose to change the serpentine belt!!
Rather than embedding all of my pics, I uploaded them all to my Google Drive. Here is a link~ https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...mZZREhyQUZrWXc
There are also some pics of my gauge install in the drive folder as well.
If anyone is doing anything like this I'm more than willing to share my experiences. I'm no expert but will help in any way I can.