• 2 Post By ZachinCO

Thread: My 7.3 F250 Turbo Rebuild

1. Top | #1
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

My 7.3 F250 Turbo Rebuild

Here is a quick synopsis of my 3 week rebuild on my Turbo, Up-Pipe and Exhaust replacement.

Before it all started

• Day 1: Removed the CAI. Removed the Intercooler tubes and CAC boots. Removed the spider and the boots to the plenums. Loosened up exhaust.
    • Day 2: Removed the turbo. Removed pedestal. Removed all exhaust except the downpipe, decided to cut the pipe behind the muffler so I didn’t have to remove the shock.
    • Day 3: Removed up-pipes. After the up-pipes were removed, that cleared the way for the downpipe to be removed otherwise would have had to remove the transmission crossmember support.
    Not sure of the total time spent removing all the above components. The removed Turbo and Spider need to be cleaned before reassembly. New Up-Pipes need to be wrapped and sealed before installing.
    • Day 4-8: Cleaning and prepping engine bay, engine valley and firewall. Cleaning a prepping removed turbo. Cleaning CAC tubes, foil delete.
    • Day 9-10: Primer and Paint Turbo, Spider and CAC tubes. Wrapped Up-pipes.
    • Day 11-14: Assembly of Turbo.
    o Installed Up-Pipes, leaving manifold bolts loose and DS/Collector bolts loose.
    o Pre-hung Downpipe and extension pipe. With the shorter downpipe, there was enough room to maneuver it around the PS Up-pipe.
    o Mounted turbo.
    o Connecting Y-collector to turbo turned out to be more of a chore than first thought. Leaving the bolts loose is a must. I had to loosen up the turbo slightly also, but not enough to disturb the O-rings. After struggling a bit, I also removed the alternator to clear room for more maneuverability. This was going to come off either way. I replaced the upper coolant hose with the Gates 22433. With more room to wiggle got the collector to mate up to the turbo and quickly tightened the v-clamp
    o Connected the Downpipe to the outlet and clamped loosely. Finished installing the remaining exhaust sections and hand tightened clamps.
    o Installed Plenum inserts. Very snug fit, but exactly the tolerance I’d expect.
    o Installed HPx
    o Installed new RiffRaff CAC boots with new clamps. Installed spider and associated sensors.
    o Installed Intercooler tubes.
    o Reconnected all electrical harness connections (or so I thought).
    o Cleaned batteries/terminals and replaced hardware.
    o Went through all my new bolts/nuts/connections and tightened to SPEC.

All Complete(I need better pics once the snow melts)

Parts used:
    • Shelor Motormile 2U2Z9K635AA 1999-2003 FORD F-SERIES SEVERE DUTY AIS
    o Easy install, fits great
    • MBRP EXHAUST STORE MBRP-S6200BLK MBRP 4" Turbo Back, Single Side Black Coated
    o Good Quality, Slight fitment issue. Didn’t care for the fact that one extension tube had to be cut to size to fit a standard bed crew cab.
    • SP Turboost CO. 811-1206-002 GTP38 TURBO UPGRADE CHRA SPX BILLET WHEEL
    o Great looking quality. Shipped promptly.
    • Riff Raff GZ-14-010 GTP38 Compressor Housing O-ring
    • Riff Raff GZ-14-060 Garrett Compressor Housing Outlet O-ring 99.5-03
    • Riff Raff GZ-9-003 Turbo / Pedestal O-rings
    • Riff Raff 451274-0005 Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet
    • Riff Raff 702670-0002 Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal 99.5-03
    • Riff Raff 6032168312 Turbo Pedestal Bolt Kit 99.5-03
    • Riff Raff GZ-14-012 Garrett 12pt Replacement Turbo Housing Bolts
    • Riff Raff RDPHHPX Stainless Steel HPX 99-03
    • Riff Raff RDPABK9903 Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit 99-03
    • Riff Raff RDPPRI RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts
    • Riff Raff B005-7.3 Intercooler Boot Complete Clamp Kit
    o All the RiffRaff items were of the best quality. Obviously I’ve purchased a good amount from them and will continue to give Clay my business in the future.
    • Xtremediesel.com BD1043900 XDP 7.3L Bellowed Up Pipe Kit
    o Good build quality. All the welds look to notch.
    • O'Rielly Auto 22433 Gates Upper Radiator hose
    o No more removing the radiator hose to change the serpentine belt!!

Rather than embedding all of my pics, I uploaded them all to my Google Drive. Here is a link~ https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...mZZREhyQUZrWXc

There are also some pics of my gauge install in the drive folder as well.

If anyone is doing anything like this I'm more than willing to share my experiences. I'm no expert but will help in any way I can.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Looks good Zach.👍 I have a friend with a 7.3l and the turbo is pretty tucked away. He also speaks highly of RiffRaff.
    BigJim55 and ZachinCO like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    That dual alternator radiator hose is awesome. They should have all come that way. I was going to recommend the Dieselsite intake system boots but you covered that.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcabe5 View Post
    Looks good Zach.👍 I have a friend with a 7.3l and the turbo is pretty tucked away. He also speaks highly of RiffRaff.
    I'm glad to not be laying across the engine bay anymore! I have nothing but good words from everything I've bought from Clay at RiffRaff.

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    That dual alternator radiator hose is awesome. They should have all come that way. I was going to recommend the Dieselsite intake system boots but you covered that.
    I can't believe it took me this long to change that hose out! No more pulling the hose to change the serpentine belt. I also looked hard at the Dieselsite boots, but ended up going with RiffRaff.

I will most likely pick up AE soon too. I have an uncle with a 7.3 X. He has a handheld scan tool, but I think AE would be worth the cost.
    pcabe5, 56FordGuy, Levi and 1 others like this.

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    How many miles on your 7.3 Zach?
    I have 85K on my 01. I replaced my up-pipes last year so a lot of this work sounded very familiar. Just replaced my old Dynomax exhaust 2 weeks ago with a MBRP turbo back 409SST and really like it. I agree with your assessment of the fit but would like to have seen the pipes a tad thicker.
    I love my 01 and glad I still do after looking at the price of a new one.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aclass View Post
    How many miles on your 7.3 Zach?
    I have 85K on my 01. I replaced my up-pipes last year so a lot of this work sounded very familiar. Just replaced my old Dynomax exhaust 2 weeks ago with a MBRP turbo back 409SST and really like it. I agree with your assessment of the fit but would like to have seen the pipes a tad thicker.
    I love my 01 and glad I still do after looking at the price of a new one.
    266k, all but the few factory miles put on by me. Mines an '01 also. My uncles X is an '02 and has 330k.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
    I'm glad to not be laying across the engine bay anymore! I have nothing but good words from everything I've bought from Clay at RiffRaff.

I can't believe it took me this long to change that hose out! No more pulling the hose to change the serpentine belt. I also looked hard at the Dieselsite boots, but ended up going with RiffRaff.

I will most likely pick up AE soon too. I have an uncle with a 7.3 X. He has a handheld scan tool, but I think AE would be worth the cost.
    I had a friend that didn't believe me about the radiator hose running through the belt until he saw it. It's such a stupid design, heck the support for the hose that runs outside the belt is already cast into the housing! I had to sand down a little burr on mine, but otherwise it was a 5 minute swap, if that. I can't believe Ford went to the trouble of designing and stocking two different hoses for that. When I did my AIS and boots, I don't know if RiffRaff was around. I'm running the DieselSite boots and their aluminum thermostat housing. The factory housing is about as thick as a beer can, if you ever remove it you can almost guarantee it will leak if you reuse it.

If you want to play with AE before you buy it, you're welcome to come up and use mine. I would offer to meet you somewhere, but the laptop I run it on has a junk battery and has to be plugged in. It paid for itself pretty quickly on my '01, I need to look and see if there's a Subaru package I can get for it. That way I can still get some use out of it if I sell the 7.3 truck. My '97 F-250 was classed as 'heavy duty' and still uses an OBD I system.
    BigJim55 and ZachinCO like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm watching an IH cub cadet original on eBay that's in NE. If I end up buying it I'd be taking a road trip. I could detour on the way back through Wyoming. If it ends up going that route I'll PM you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    56FordGuy and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
    I'm watching an IH cub cadet original on eBay that's in NE. If I end up buying it I'd be taking a road trip. I could detour on the way back through Wyoming. If it ends up going that route I'll PM you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You should have bought the one that sold for $3000 I think it was at the Mecum auction in Davenport, Iowa back on 11-7&8. '62 Original restored. Only about 2-3 times what they normally sell for.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    You should have bought the one that sold for $3000 I think it was at the Mecum auction in Davenport, Iowa back on 11-7&8. '62 Original restored. Only about 2-3 times what they normally sell for.
    The one I'm watching is $200, needs work.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements