Dump Truck, Dump body insert, or Dump Trailer?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 56FordGuy
  • 1 Post By Brian

Thread: Dump Truck, Dump body insert, or Dump Trailer?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks

Dump Truck, Dump body insert, or Dump Trailer?

In a couple years, I'm going to buy a pickup truck (either a 3/4 or 1 ton) (may possibly use a dump body insert), a truck with an actual dump body, or purchase a dump trailer depending upon funds, necessity/projected usage, ease of function/operation and of course, feedback from those that have experience.

I'm looking for thoughts on pros and cons of all 3. The truck will not be a daily driver, and if I buy a truck with an actual dump body, it will most likely be pre-owned and definitely not a daily driver, so I'd prefer a pickup and either equip it with the bed dump insert or a dump trailer as if I need to take the truck to work, I'd rather not be rolling up in a piece of work equipment . If I go with a pickup and use the dump insert, I'll probably take it out with the loader / pallet forks if not planning to use it for extended periods of time.

So, interested in thoughts on these options and would love to hear from those that may have experience with either one, some, or all of these.

My intended purpose is my own needs on my property and will be moving loam, sand, stone/rock, and mulch as projects surface.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Dump trailers are nice. You can haul a lot more with a dump trailer than you can in a 350/450 sized truck, though you will still need a truck that size to tow a decent dump trailer. The downside is maneuvering a trailer in some tight spots is tricky, and you may not be able to get it in everywhere you want to go. If you're just working on your own property that's usually not much of an issue, you can plan and work around things if necessary.

Dump inserts for a pickup are a bad idea. Yeah, I said it. They eat up too much weight capacity. If your truck can haul 4,000 lbs in the bed, you have to subtract the weight of the dump insert. The insert alone will weigh 1,500-2,000 lbs. There goes half your load capacity! It doesn't take long to put on 2,000 lbs of gravel or sand. If you have an 8' bed truck, you probably won't even fill the insert halfway up before you run out of weight capacity, which all too often leads to people overloading the truck. A 1026 won't have the loader capacity to install and remove the insert, either.

A dump kit/ hoist underneath the bed of a pickup is a better option than an insert. The best truck bed setup I've ever used was a 9'x8' flatbed with a hydraulic dump. Day to day I had a regular flatbed truck, but I could attach sides to the bed that were as tall as I needed. Not as much weight capacity as a dump trailer, but easier to get into tight spots.

Depending on how much you need to move in one load and how tight your property is, I would either go for a dumping flatbed or dump trailer.
    Green Man likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I can tell you that I really enjoy having my F350 in the garage ready to go when needed. I now have my fathers dump trailer here also and its nice to have them separate. The Dump trailer has been nice for getting longer lumber (16' to 18') and also nice to move mulch. But it nice to have the truck to load up the bikes or be able to hook up my trailer with the tractors and go without taking the "dump" part with me.

It seems to me, that this combination allows for more uses.

Green Man likes this.
    Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Dump trailers are nice. You can haul a lot more with a dump trailer than you can in a 350/450 sized truck, though you will still need a truck that size to tow a decent dump trailer. The downside is maneuvering a trailer in some tight spots is tricky, and you may not be able to get it in everywhere you want to go. If you're just working on your own property that's usually not much of an issue, you can plan and work around things if necessary.

Dump inserts for a pickup are a bad idea. Yeah, I said it. They eat up too much weight capacity. If your truck can haul 4,000 lbs in the bed, you have to subtract the weight of the dump insert. The insert alone will weigh 1,500-2,000 lbs. There goes half your load capacity! It doesn't take long to put on 2,000 lbs of gravel or sand. If you have an 8' bed truck, you probably won't even fill the insert halfway up before you run out of weight capacity, which all too often leads to people overloading the truck. A 1026 won't have the loader capacity to install and remove the insert, either.

A dump kit/ hoist underneath the bed of a pickup is a better option than an insert. The best truck bed setup I've ever used was a 9'x8' flatbed with a hydraulic dump. Day to day I had a regular flatbed truck, but I could attach sides to the bed that were as tall as I needed. Not as much weight capacity as a dump trailer, but easier to get into tight spots.

Depending on how much you need to move in one load and how tight your property is, I would either go for a dumping flatbed or dump trailer.
    Thanks, this really helps.

I was thinking about one of these inserts... Dump Inserts - EZ-Dumper - High Quality Truck & Dump Inserts
    EZ Dumper Promo - YouTube Looks like it weighs under 800lbs empty. Are the inserts that you are referencing different than this?
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I can tell you that I really enjoy having my F350 in the garage ready to go when needed. I now have my fathers dump trailer here also and its nice to have them separate. The Dump trailer has been nice for getting longer lumber (16' to 18') and also nice to move mulch. But it nice to have the truck to load up the bikes or be able to hook up my trailer with the tractors and go without taking the "dump" part with me.

It seems to me, that this combination allows for more uses.
    Brian - Does your F350 have a dump insert of dump body or is it a pickup? I'm thinking that a dump trailer might be the way to go, but a good one seems to be about twice the price of a quality dump insert, however, the trailer has greater capacity and it can be left behind, so that is a plus. I'm also thinking that a SCUT / CUT will be able to more easily fill a dump trailer since it's a bit lower than a p/u with the dump insert.
    Last edited by Green Man; 07-14-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks

dump trailer

Hi, I decided on a dump trailer. 6 x 12 with ramps. Now I can haul the 1026 tlb around. It works great and hauls the tlb like a dream. Plus we can load it and leave it without keeping the weight on the truck all the time. And without sideboards, I can load it with my scut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20130430_104640.jpg  

9. The Following User Says Thank You to boatdesigner For This Useful Post:

Green Man (07-15-2013)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Brian - Does your F350 have a dump insert of dump body or is it a pickup? I'm thinking that a dump trailer might be the way to go, but a good one seems to be about twice the price of a quality dump insert, however, the trailer has greater capacity and it can be left behind, so that is a plus. I'm also thinking that a SCUT / CUT will be able to more easily fill a dump trailer since it's a bit lower than a p/u with the dump insert.

My F350 is a 4 door SRW short bed. Its a normal truck. To me, that's whats nice. I can drive it out to eat or up north to family and enjoy the extra room, but still have a functional tow/work rig.

If you put a dump body in the back, IMHO, all you have is a work rig.

Brian

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:

Green Man (07-15-2013)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Are the inserts that you are referencing different than this?
    Apparently, yes.

The units you linked to have 14 gauge side panels and a 12 gauge floor. That's sheet metal, and in my opinion far too light to survive life as a dump bed. Maybe that's standard? I can't say.

The dump inserts I've been around are usually built from 1/8" panels, a couple were 3/16".
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements