Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 7.3 idi

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-30-2019 @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks

7.3 idi

I'm thinking of buying a 1993 flatbed F350. Less than 100000 on it. Has anyone had one of these? If so, how hard is it to swap the fuel filter? And would it be fine to run my barreled John Deere engine oil in it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Decent engines, is it turbo or non turbo? They aren't hard to maintain, I don't recall anything strange about the fuel filter. It's not a powerhouse, but it's a pretty simple engine.

What weight oil do you have? We always ran 15-40 in them, as long as your JD oil is the correct weight it shouldn't be a problem.
    pcabe5 and flyweight like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Non turbo. Has 73,000 no more than 80000 on it. Tans and clutch still feel brand new. I run Deere 15w-40.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Fuel filter is on the front right side, very easy to change but a but messy sometimes. It sets on a tall bracket and is about the size of a quart jar. Your "John Deere" oil is no problem.
    Last edited by Kennyd; 12-23-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Changed left to right
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I know it's probably the same as another kind oil but to Deere specs. But it's alot easier and cheaper around here to just buy that barrel and use it for my trucks too.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So all in all probably a handy truck to have for a truck farm?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    So all in all probably a handy truck to have for a truck farm?
    Usually yes. They are very simple to work on, the E4OD trannys where the weak link generally as was the glow plug controller system but that is easily bypassed if needed.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What is the issue with the trans? It's a manual five speed the one I'm looking at. And what is the issue with glow plugs and how is it bypassed?

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    The manual transmissions that went in those trucks were pretty solid, especially when compared with the e4OD automatics of the era. The idi trucks aren't fast, but they are incredibly tough and easy to work on. If you are a halfway decent mechanic, you should have no trouble keeping it on the road. Plus, they aren't too fussy about fuel quality; they will run on a mix of diesel and just about any other light oil you happen to have lying around including used motor oil and used ATF, provided that it has been filtered a little. Used vegetable oil is another common fuel source for these trucks, but it requires more filtering and gels up below about 40*f without a tank heater.

The problem with the glow plug system is that the controller/relay for the system can be unreliable. Without the help of glow plugs, you will have a very difficult time starting an idi in cold weather. Never use starting fluid in an idi unless you really want an excuse to rebuild your engine. What most people end up doing is wiring a switch in the cab to bypass the problematic controller and give the driver direct control over the glow plugs. Hop in, hold the switch for twenty seconds, and fire it up. Pretty simple. YouTube is full of how-to videos on this and many other idi related subjects.

If I hadn't found such a good deal on my SuperDuty, I would have an idi in my driveway.
    Kennyd, pcabe5 and 56FordGuy like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckFarmer55 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a 1993 flatbed F350. Less than 100000 on it. Has anyone had one of these? If so, how hard is it to swap the fuel filter? And would it be fine to run my barreled John Deere engine oil in it?
    I don't have one but my roofer does. He picked it up for $5K over 7 years ago and is still using it. It's used for his roofing business all spring, summer and fall. That truck is always carrying a load between his tools, air compressor, ladders etc. During the winter he uses the snow plow that came with it to make extra money.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast