Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Hitch pin / Lock?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Hitch pin / Lock?

I have a fairly solid hitch pin that I've been using for 20 years. Has a little corrosion on it but it otherwise in good shape. I've used it a number of times to tow a fairly heavy trailer (9000 lbs) and it shows NO sign of any stress or wear.

The problem I'm having is that it's a locking hitch pin and the lock itself is basically shot. It's so caked inside with crud that you can slip anything into the key slot, twist, and it will open.

I'm looking for a replacement locking hitch pin and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

- Needs to be able to handle a 10k trailer
    - Needs to have a lock
    - Lock should have a cover to keep debris and water out of the lock cylinder

What have you got to offer???
    pcabe5 likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Hitch Pin Lock

I found one of these in the bargain cave at Cabelas for about $20.00. Works well for me and don't need another key to keep up with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0240.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	288098

BOLT Trailer Hitch Receiver Lock - 2" and 2-1/2" Hitch - Codes to Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Key Bolt Locks BL7018448
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0239.JPG  
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

4. Top | #3
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    http://www.towsmart.us/products/58-receiver-lock/

I have one similar to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pcabe5, meburdick, Levi and 2 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,090 Times in 2,552 Posts
    I don't use any of the locking ones, seen/heard of to many that get stuck on and have to be cut off. The ones with the rubber caps seems to be the worst since the cover just holds moisture in. I never leave the hitch in unless they trailer is hooked up so I don't feel the need for one either.
    mjncad, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 9 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I don't use any of the locking ones, seen/heard of to many that get stuck on and have to be cut off. The ones with the rubber caps seems to be the worst since the cover just holds moisture in. I never leave the hitch in unless they trailer is hooked up so I don't feel the need for one either.
    I agree with you that leaving a hitch insert in when not in use is a bad idea. As a matter of fact, it is one of my pet peeves. Why do people leave these in when they drive these vehicles to the mall, grocery store, and office parks? And then, they park them with the insert hanging out over a sidewalk or in a walkway!

That said, I do use a locking pin. Sad to say, I have heard stories of punk kids removing the clevis/clip and partially removing the pin to cause accidents. I have heard the same for the release on the 5th wheel hitch. I don't lock the 5th wheel but use a carabiner that would cause them to struggle longer to perform this act of vandalism. I have also had a friend have an insert stolen during a "temporary" installation. Using the locking pin on a short term basis, I expect it to last forever.

I realize that in some commercial applications, there is logic to a near permanent installation. If I was leaving the insert in on a permanent basis, I think I would be more inclined to use a hardened bolt with nylock nut.

Lee
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ljnelson109 For This Useful Post:

BMOPE (12-29-2016)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    I think I got my locking pin from Harbor Freight (so I know it's of the highest quality! ) I don't leave it in all the time, but so far it's been fine.

I also have a couple of padlocks made by the same people that made the locking pin linked to in Post #2. It seems to be a good quality lock and it's great to not have to have another key on my ring to open it. I use one lock in my Jeep to keep my ammo-box console locked and another on my storage unit.

I know that Tractor Supply also carries locking pins.
    pcabe5, Levi, Rope_Chucker and 1 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    I agree with you that leaving a hitch insert in when not in use is a bad idea. As a matter of fact, it is one of my pet peeves. Why do people leave these in when they drive these vehicles to the mall, grocery store, and office parks? And then, they park them with the insert hanging out over a sidewalk or in a walkway!

Lee
    I heard (don't know for a fact) Morgantown city and Mon County Sheriff dept were handing out tickets for folks leaving receivers in. I had heard it was a state law, not sure, if it isn't it needs to be.
    I know I have busted my shin a couple of times walking through a parking lot. Have also seen a lot of other people walking into receivers ,seen one get into a fight with the owner of a pickup with the receiver still in the hitch.

My only thought if you are to lazy to remove the receiver you're one of the thousand driving down the road with the trailer lights not plugged in.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    I'm guilty of leaving my hitch in all the time. I don't tow at the time but I'm ready, also comes in handy if I need to get out my yank-um strap. Another reason is I'm tired of coming out to the parking lot only to find some joker parked against my bumper.
    I've had my locking pin almost as long as the truck, no issues with it yet. 🤞🏻

pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks

Another always in

Quote Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
    I'm guilty of leaving my hitch in all the time. I don't tow at the time but I'm ready, also comes in handy if I need to get out my yank-um strap. Another reason is I'm tired of coming out to the parking lot only to find some joker parked against my bumper.
    I've had my locking pin almost as long as the truck, no issues with it yet. 🤞🏻

I'm also guilty of leaving the insert in. I don't tow all the time but do tow pretty frequently and 80-90% of the time the truck is on the farm or going from one farm to the other or places where trucks with tow hitches are common such as Tractor Supply, hardware store, feed store etc. I've had one lynch pin taken when the truck was in a parking lot. I don't know if it was a prankster or someone was in the process of stealing the insert and got nervous but I didn't notice it until I got home. The insert and pin were still on the truck but I got the shakes thinking about the possible issues if a trailer was involved. Now, checking for that is part of my trailer hook up process.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, 56FordGuy, Levi and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    I always remove the insert - only took a couple knee or shin knocks and that was enough for me. Plus leaving it in it just gets rusted in there. I keep 3 different inserts in my tool box so I have with me what I might need.

Pulling the 5th wheel pin - I've seen that done before with big trucks - not funny!
    pcabe5, Levi, blue87fj60 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast