• 3 Post By BigJim55
  • 4 Post By coaltrain

Thread: Seven pin Plug Fell out

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks

Seven pin Plug Fell out

Howdy, the other day I was towing my equipment trailer and along the way noted the electronic trailer brakes didnt seem to be working so I pulled over and checked and found the seven pin plug had detached from the truck. I stuck it back it, but it came apart again. Does anyone use a keeper to ensure they plug stays put and if so what do you use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    That should be a friction fit and there is normally a cover with a small hook to retain the plug in the receptacle. I have never had a problem like that with the 7 prong plugs I have used. I would check your receptacle and see if it isn't cracked/compromised so that it isn't allowing a tight fit if the plug itself is fine.

The receptacle on my truck has a cover with a lip on it that keeps the plug installed and serves as counter to any vibration/loose fit situations. Does yours have that sort of cover? If not, it might be time to buy a new receptacle.

One other thing to check is are you leaving enough slack in the cable to allow the trailer to turn either direction without yanking the cable out of the receptacle?

Is your receptacle like this one? This has a cover with a small retaining hook to keep the plug installed.

Reese - 6 / 7-Way Connectors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

meyerld (01-21-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    That should be a friction fit and there is normally a cover with a small hook to retain the plug in the receptacle. I have never had a problem like that with the 7 prong plugs I have used. I would check your receptacle and see if it isn't cracked/compromised so that it isn't allowing a tight fit if the plug itself is fine.

The receptacle on my truck has a cover with a lip on it that keeps the plug installed and serves as counter to any vibration/loose fit situations. Does yours have that sort of cover? If not, it might be time to buy a new receptacle.

One other thing to check is are you leaving enough slack in the cable to allow the trailer to turn either direction without yanking the cable out of the receptacle?

Is your receptacle like this one? This has a cover with a small retaining hook to keep the plug installed.

Reese - 6 / 7-Way Connectors
    exactly what he said above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^nothing more i can say, all valid points as to why urs isn't working correctly.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    This is how mine works -

The receptacle on the truck has a hinged cover which is spring loaded. When you open the cover, and slide the plug into it, then you release the cover, the notches should hold the plug in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	637575_2000x2000edit.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	293554

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pollak-11-700-Heavy-Duty-Zinc-7-Way-Round-Pin-Trailer-Wiring-Connector-Male-Trailer-Endedit.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	293562
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (01-06-2017), meyerld (01-21-2017)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:38 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry I have not come back to this thread for awhile.....Thank You so Much Guys. Nope my Receptacle does not have the latching hook so I am off to get one just like the one y'all pictured. Great forum and thanks for the help!
    Last edited by meyerld; 01-21-2017 at 03:55 PM.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerld View Post
    Sorry I have not come back to this thread for awhile.....Thank You so Much Guys. Nope my Receptacle does not have the latching hook so I am off to get one just like the one y'all pictured. Great forum and thanks for the help!
    I went to Northern Tool,, they had an exact plug and play replacement for my Silverado.
    It was only a few dollars,,,

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements