Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Trailer Needed

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks

Trailer Needed

What size trailer would be needed to legally haul, in Michigan, produce bulk crates or a JD 5200 with an attachment? I have a 1 ton truck. Not familiar with loading laws.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Personally, I would call your local state police post, DOT, or vehicle enforcement office. Whatever anyone says here doesn't matter in a court of law.
    mjncad, grnspot110, Levi and 1 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TickTock For This Useful Post:

rydplrs(01-11-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-18-2018 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Machine weighs under 5000 pounds per specs. If you double it you're trailer needs are still under 10,000. Providing your total truck and trailer combo does not get registered for anything over 26,000 you are good to go if under your personal name. I recall a business has a different criteria under commercial regs.
    Levi and jdmich like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Personally, I would call your local state police post, DOT, or vehicle enforcement office. Whatever anyone says here doesn't matter in a court of law.
    This is true.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Cove Deere View Post
    Machine weighs under 5000 pounds per specs. If you double it you're trailer needs are still under 10,000. Providing your total truck and trailer combo does not get registered for anything over 26,000 you are good to go if under your personal name. I recall a business has a different criteria under commercial regs.
    Truck is a farm truck. Used to move equipment to repair shop or favors for friends. It takes product to local markets and if I recall my farm plate sheet specifies that's fine. Truck has an 8x12 wood flatbed but may be changed in the next year to 10' steel. I believe that's under 10,000#

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    No, No you never do favors for friends. If you do it requires a DOT # and different insurance. You only haul your stuff and are not for hire or loan. It's just a farm vehicle for hauling your farm stuff. If it's not licensed, like tractors etc. it's yours if anyone cares to know.

You can look up the towing capacity of your truck online. Just Google towing capacity of year, make and model. Pay attention to trailer brakes or no brakes.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    You haul anything for anyone else across a state line you are in DOT land and need a number and insurance
    if the combination of truck and trailer has the CAPACITY to haul 10,001 lbs you are in DOT land and need a number and insurance

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registrati...usdot-number-1
    Levi and coaltrain like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    This is the only post in this thread that should be heeded. Anything else should be considered inaccurate, incomplete, or flat-out wrong.

Check with State Police, the DMV/RMV, your local (insert truck brand here) dealer (for tow capacity info), AND anyone else that could have a hand in ticketing / fining you for doing it wrong. You might even want to lob a call to your insurance company to ask about the qualifications for commercial insurance as that will help you understand the lines that are drawn between consumer and commercial use, too.
    rydplrs, Levi, dzldanz and 2 others like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Plates here for commercial vehicles are between $1200 & $2000. That's insane. Then you need a special license on top of that. That's why I try and stay inside the rules of farm plates.
    Levi likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Finally found what I was looking for, my truck is well within legal limits as would a trailer.
    rydplrs and Levi like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast