Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: ford f150 now has a diesel in it

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks

ford f150 now has a diesel in it

wish they would have come out with this last year b/4 I bought my 250.

Ford took to the 2017 North American International Auto Show to one-up its crosstown rival, General Motors. While both the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado and 2017 GMC Sierra match the Ford F-150 in more ways than not, the blue oval pulled a wild card out: the introduction of a 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine.
    With the introduction of the 3.0-liter Power Stroke V6 diesel engine, it leaves General Motors as the odd man out. Both Ford and Ram now offer a half-ton diesel powertrain for their bread and butter pickups
    Ford Reveals 3.0L V6 Diesel F-150 | GM Authority
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Tomfive and 2 others like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    Sweet, give it a year to work the bugs out, then throw it in the Expedition and I'm in.
    By then the wife will need a new ride.
    pcabe5 and Evergreen like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cutty72 For This Useful Post:

tprdad (01-27-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    If this engine works its way into either the new ranger or new bronco, I might have to abandon my 'no new trucks' rule. Although I agree that an expedition powered by a little diesel would be pretty awesome to. Other than my Deere, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc, we are a diesel family; I have my PowerStroke and Mrs. Evergreen drives a VW TDI. Once you go #2, you don't go back!

I see the initial cost of purchasing a diesel to pay for itself in the long run in many respects:
    1) It is safer. Unlike gasoline, diesel won't burn/explode in a really bad crash. Apparently this is also one of the drawbacks for electric car batteries as well.
    2) Better MPG than a comparable gasoline counterpart. I can get 20mpg highway in my truck (empty) and 15mpg highway with my slide in camper or while towing 10k pounds... compared to 12/7mpg in a gas SuperDuty. The wife can get 44mpg highway in her VW and it is a full-size Passat Station Wagon, not some little Golf or Jetta.
    3) The power curve of a diesel is more efficient. A gas truck engine makes peak power near the top of its rev-range... Yes, it may make more power, but try driving for a day with the tach buried at 6k rpm and let me know how that turns out! A diesel makes its peak power in the middle of the rev range... Right where the engine is turning at highway speed. I bought a truck that makes 765 ft-lbs of torque, and at 65 mph I have access to each and every foot-pound without the need to downshift.
    4) Diesels tend to last longer. Maybe it is because they are built out of beefier components. Maybe it is because most people who paid extra for a diesel power plant and have a reason to have them take better care of them. Whatever the reason, my experience has been that as long as the body holds together, a diesel truck is pretty hard to kill if you take care of it. (Note that the old Ford 300ci straight six is one of the few exceptions!)
    5) Raw power... because I am a juvenile delinquent at heart. Once a diesel has spooled up its turbo, it transforms into a beast. I'm not into the whole blow-black-smoke thing, but it is great fun to blow the doors off a two-door hatchback with a vehicle capable of carrying said hatchback in its bed. Even our mild-mannered little VW is more than capable of fullsized burnouts... I found that out by accident one day while trying to merge into heavy traffic.
    6) I don't have a child of my own yet, but if anyone knows of a faster way to make a kid fall asleep than to go for a ride in a diesel truck, I'm all ears. My sister-in-laws kid usually takes less than 4 miles before she is out like a light. This also works to calm down dogs who have anxiety problems, and I do have several of those.

I wish more auto makers would get on board with diesel powered vehicles of all kinds. Everywhere else in the world has embraced the Diesel engine, but for some reason the only segment that it hasn't really caught on in America is the automotive sector. It probably has something to do with the perception that diesel is a dirty fuel, and the Oldsmobile 350 diesel of the late 1970's/80's being such a flop... Only one of those is true!
    BigJim55, johnH123 and Drifterbike like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    At first it was taxes and then emissions standards that have kept the US out of the diesel market:

https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/02/...of-dieselgate/
    johnH123 likes this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe one of the refinery workers who are members can explain this better, but the transition to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel apparently adds additional refinement time and cost and has diesel selling for much more than regular unleaded gas. very difficult to get a return on the high cost of the diesel engine purchase now. Of course many are enthusiasts, including myself and sacrifice to purchase a diesel vehicle anyway.
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, coaltrain and 1 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Maybe one of the refinery workers who are members can explain this better, but the transition to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel apparently adds additional refinement time and cost and has diesel selling for much more than regular unleaded gas. very difficult to get a return on the high cost of the diesel engine purchase now. Of course many are enthusiasts, including myself and sacrifice to purchase a diesel vehicle anyway.
    Here is one reason!

The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Sweet, give it a year to work the bugs out, then throw it in the Expedition and I'm in.
    By then the wife will need a new ride.
    Betcha the same people that went after VW, Audi and Ram/Fiat SA for "emission cheating" already have their party planned for Ford.

It's tough to get the light duty Diesels to meet the ever tightening EPA regulations. The >8510 GVW pickups have a much easier time as the HD designation means a different set of standards.
    Gizmo2, Ray_PA and coaltrain like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Betcha the same people that went after VW, Audi and Ram/Fiat SA for "emission cheating" already have their party planned for Ford.

It's tough to get the light duty Diesels to meet the ever tightening EPA regulations. The >8510 GVW pickups have a much easier time as the HD designation means a different set of standards.
    Probably, and it seems to take Ford awhile to update the Expedition anyway.
    I mean, they kept the 5.4L in it for 3-4 years after the Ecoboost and 5.0L were in the F150s.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 01:00 PM
    Thanks
    maybe you wont have to pull the cab off to work on it
    1935 jd model D