Thinking of a new trailer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks

Thinking of a new trailer

I sold my last trailer because I did not use it much and it was a bit small for what I needed. I knew someday that I would buy a trailer again and go larger. Well now is the time.

In my area, I have 2 choices that seem reasonable:
    1. Local trailer company builds custom trailers
    2. MacLander

The local company builds very nice trailers and customizes them to your wants and needs. IMHO, he builds just as good of trailers as others, but they are basically home made trailers when you go to sell them since they do not have a good name backing them up. They also do all their own paint, and I do not think its as good as others.

MacLander got bought out and their prices are high. Otherwise they have always been a good trailer.

What I want: In MacLander terms, I think I want a frame medium. Two 6,000 pound axles, both with brakes. Would give me a 9,990 payload capacity. That would be enough to haul my tractor and implements or easily carry my truck if needed. Its also not too heavy that I can throw some quads on it and go without lugging a huge trailer around. The trailer would be a good size for a 3/4 ton truck. Main use would be to haul my Jeep. This will be a 20 foot deck.
    http://www.mac-lander.com/frame_medi...ed_trailer.asp

What are your thoughts about a custom built trailer? Would you pay more for a brand name and how much more? All thoughts welcome as this will be my last trailer for a while!

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What I want: In MacLander terms, I think I want a frame medium. Two 6,000 pound axles, both with brakes. Would give me a 9,990 payload capacity. That would be enough to haul my tractor and implements or easily carry my truck if needed. Its also not too heavy that I can throw some quads on it and go without lugging a huge trailer around. The trailer would be a good size for a 3/4 ton truck. Main use would be to haul my Jeep. This will be a 20 foot deck.
    http://www.mac-lander.com/frame_medi...ed_trailer.asp

What are your thoughts about a custom built trailer? Would you pay more for a brand name and how much more? All thoughts welcome as this will be my last trailer for a while!
    Only 2 brands in your neck of the woods? I'm not familiar with the MacLander so I cant honestly comment...but...
    If money were no object, I'd probably buy a Moritz:
    http://www.moritzinternational.com/
    PJ also makes a VERY nice trailer.... http://www.pjtrailers.com/

That being said, I dont know if I'd buy a "home made" trailer...for the sole reason of resale value. My dad went the home made route by a very reputable "MFG" in our area, but outside of our tiny little geographic area, its worth nothing because in the end, its just a home made....quality wise, it cant be beat...
    If you plan on using it till the end, I'd probably suggest going the home made route. Have em do the trailer only and do your own paint/decking...save a few bucks and get a nice paint job in the process?

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, 2 brands is a stretch.

I can find integrity and sure trac, but I have not read good stuff about them.

Right now:

MacLander Frame Medium Two 5200 axles. 7K payload. 20 foot deck $4,490.00
    Sure Trac Two 5200 axles. 7K payload. 20 foot deck $3,550.00
    Custom Built, 20 foot deck, Two 7K axles, 11K payload $2,900.00

100 miles away
    PJ CC 6" channel 20 foot deck, 7K axles, $3,650.00

I have read mixxed reviews on PJ trailers. But this one has LED lights, rear trailer jacks, Removable fenders, and DOT stickers all included. PJ is lacking D rings.

Zero negotiation has been done. I am just getting ideas.

I am also thinking of Disc Brakes since it will sit outside. I have no clue how much that will cost yet.

Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Very happy with my PJ. I'd definitely buy another.

-Jer.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The Craziness continues!

I am in negotiation with Kaufmann trailers. 20 foot equipment trailer. 10K about $3,000

Going to look at the custom trailer today.

20 foot T6 PJ with 4' fixed 16' tilt deck. 2010 model. 4,200 14K

In my normal fashion, I am over thinking this and must send out a thank you to those who have listened to me babble on and on about this for the past few days.

Brian

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    In my normal fashion, I am over thinking this and must send out a thank you to those who have listened to me babble on and on about this for the past few days.
    Been there, done that. Sometimes that is what it takes to get to the end. In my case even when no one is listening.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-30-2014 @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    The Craziness continues!

I am in negotiation with Kaufmann trailers. 20 foot equipment trailer. 10K about $3,000
    No worries. Standing by to find out your decision!

I have my 7k trailer on CL right now in hopes to pick up a new one after it sells. I came close to buying a Kaufman trailer last time around and would be tempted to do so again. My hiccup last time was trying to figure out how to take delivery as they require you to be able to off-load.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was not informed that I would need to off load. I think I could easily do it with 2 fork lifts at the farm, but it would depend on height.

I am still waiting for an email with the final sale price. They are not the fastest at getting back to you!

Brian

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-30-2014 @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Well i could be wrong but how i understood it is that unless you request a private delivery, they combine deliveries and stack the trailers to minimize cost. Upon delivery, you have to have the equipment to remove the trailer. problem was that they didn't know how it would be shipped as that depends on what is being delivered. It would be great to have first hand knowledge of somebody who has bought from them. I will likely be in the market again come spring/summer.

I found them to be quite responsive, but i was quoting out a standard trailer that they offer (12k gooseneck).

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Wel, I am writting Kaufman off because I can get a PJ for the same price. The price was disappointing and I never asked them about shipping.

Right now I am looking at:

1. Custom 12K derated trailer 2900
    2. Custom 14K trailer 3200
    3. PJ CC 14K trailer 3400
    4. PJ T6 14K down to 4100

I feel the custom is a nice quality but poor finish. Rust wise I bet its as good as the others, but looks rough due it not being sand blasted. The PJ CC is NICE, but I am stuck wondering IF the tilt would be worth the rest of the cash. The tilt is the best deal with the best resale as I can only get that price at one dealer, the others want 1K more than him.

Brian

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast