Enclosed Auto/Cargo trailers......Hmmmmm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Enclosed Auto/Cargo trailers......Hmmmmm.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

Enclosed Auto/Cargo trailers......Hmmmmm.

Been researching this subject for the past two weeks or so. Will be buying and enclosed trailer come spring to move across country. A Cargo Trailer is mostly a light-weight trailer limited to light cargo?, and an Auto Enclosed Trailer is more geared to a Heavy Duty application with more weight carrying capacity? The plan is to acquire one in the 20' range for Household items including some furniture and the outdoor equipment. Second aspect is which brand? Seems the reviews I read online are decades old and not current. Seems that Wells Cargo has the best user friendly website. Haulmark is ok on theirs..... Options that I should buy or look for? Axle ratings?
    Thanks and look forward to the input.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    I only know a little about these but I'd think like any other trailer, look at GVWR and empty weight. The difference between them is what you can load it up with.

One thing I did learn the hard way - buy one with an "RV Style" door for the side door.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-25-2019 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    I own a Haulmark 8.5x18 dual axle cargo trailer. Things to think about. Make sure it is torsion axles not leaf spring. The auto trailer will have a ramp door which is nice to walk straight up and in though the last 4 feet then is a dove tail angle. I have a cargo trailer barn doors and not an auto hauler I made ramps that I secure to the side wall. That way I do not need as much rear clearance and have quick access if needed. Get the extra height 6" to 1" higher then standard so you don't bang your head and taller pieces of furniture will stand up inside. My 1025r fits in with the ROPS lowered. I have an extra 6" height. Get E-track installed front to back 2 levels if not three to secure things. 36" side door makes side loading or getting to things helpful too. Get the extended tongue so that when you jack knife a 90 degree turn you do not have a chance of crashing the trailer into your truck. If you are running only a single rear wheel pickup and not dually I would suggest looking into a weight distribution bar and anti-sway control bar in the front unless you can be really good about weight distribution of your belongings in the trailer. remember ideally you want only about 15% of the load on your tongue. I will take some pictures of my interior when I have a chance.
    Levi, HouseMouse, Daveb and 2 others like this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    Are you planning on using it after?
    When we moved from CA to CO we used ABF-you pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachinCO View Post
    Are you planning on using it after?
    When we moved from CA to CO we used ABF-you pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes... to transport the 1026R, ATV's, Antique Furniture.... etc.
    Levi likes this.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Generally speaking, the ramp of a regular "enclosed" trailer is the weak point. Make sure it is rated for the weight of whatever you plan on hauling.

Car/Auto hauling trailers are generally built heavier as they are designed for it. A standard enclosed with upgraded axles should haul a SCUT without issue though. Just be cautious of placement in trailer, and additional attachments loaded.

As stated above, multiple runs of E-trac is an excellent suggestion. Both on the floor and the sidewalls.
    Daveb likes this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Hmmmmm, the Mouse family is moving from one Witness Protection Program location to another.

My dad has had 3 different Wells Cargo trailers for his business. They have all been great trailers. He puts quite a load in them occasionally, but not to the extent of a 1026R TLB and ATV, etc. He has found the dealer makes all the difference as he hasn't bought each one at the same place. However, with you moving, that isn't going to help you much.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Hmmmmm, the Mouse family is moving from one Witness Protection Program location to another.

My dad has had 3 different Wells Cargo trailers for his business. They have all been great trailers. He puts quite a load in them occasionally, but not to the extent of a 1026R TLB and ATV, etc. He has found the dealer makes all the difference as he hasn't bought each one at the same place. However, with you moving, that isn't going to help you much.
    great sanmich minds must work at the same time I was thinking the same thoughts as u CP.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    The details mentioned above on how to configure a trailer are excellent. I agree with getting a 7' ceiling height for what you plan to use it for. If you get 3500 lb. capacity axles the maximum gross trailer weight loaded will be 7k lbs. with 5200 lb. axles you'll be at about 1k gross trailer weight. Check the empty trailer weight and then you'll know what your maximum payload is. I found aluminum trailers were not much lighter than steel framed trailers as the size of the frame members needs to be larger to provide the same capacity trailer. I really like the rivet free exterior skin personally.

I just bought an enclosed trailer a month ago after about 10 weeks of internet research and going to dealers and getting competing bits for different brands and models. Payload is the key factor I was dealing with and I actually oversized my trailer from a 10K to a 12k rating to give me heavier duty, larger tires for long distance travel. My trailer has a 26' rectangular box size plus a 32" V section in front. I haul my Honda GL1800 trike and my Toyota Rav4 in this trailer behind my Diesel Pusher RV.

Depending on where you live finding a trailer on the dealer lot may be an issue an you'll have to order the configuration you want. I looked at Well Cargo, Hallmark, Stealth, ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company), and several others. In the end I tracked down a new Stealth with the configuration I wanted 250 miles away on a dealer lot and saved about $6k over special ordering.

Best of luck to you..

Dave
    BigJim55 and HouseMouse like this.
    2011 2320 w/R4's, 3rd SCV
    imatch hitch. Soft side cab
    47" front mount snow blower
    200cx FEL w/ 54" dirt bucket - added a 1/2" x 6" DBL Bevel Bolt on Cutting Edge
    42"tined utility bucket w/ grapple
    54" JD 3pt blade w/ hydraulic swivel
    Hydraulic Dump trailer 48" W x 72" L X 24" Deep w/cap of 4500 lbs
    2011 D110 w/ bagger, 42" 2-stage blower
    2016 x380 w/ 48" deep body deck and powerflow bagger
    91 STX38 - this was my Father-in-Law's lawn mower

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveb View Post
    The details mentioned above on how to configure a trailer are excellent. I agree with getting a 7' ceiling height for what you plan to use it for. If you get 3500 lb. capacity axles the maximum gross trailer weight loaded will be 7k lbs. with 5200 lb. axles you'll be at about 1k gross trailer weight. Check the empty trailer weight and then you'll know what your maximum payload is. I found aluminum trailers were not much lighter than steel framed trailers as the size of the frame members needs to be larger to provide the same capacity trailer. I really like the rivet free exterior skin personally.

I just bought an enclosed trailer a month ago after about 10 weeks of internet research and going to dealers and getting competing bits for different brands and models. Payload is the key factor I was dealing with and I actually oversized my trailer from a 10K to a 12k rating to give me heavier duty, larger tires for long distance travel. My trailer has a 26' rectangular box size plus a 32" V section in front. I haul my Honda GL1800 trike and my Toyota Rav4 in this trailer behind my Diesel Pusher RV.

Depending on where you live finding a trailer on the dealer lot may be an issue an you'll have to order the configuration you want. I looked at Well Cargo, Hallmark, Stealth, ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company), and several others. In the end I tracked down a new Stealth with the configuration I wanted 250 miles away on a dealer lot and saved about $6k over special ordering.

Best of luck to you..

Dave
    Thank You.... Great information here. Rear cargo door height may be problematic.... A quick measurement this morning in the barn and the Cabbed 26R came in at 7' high. Will remeasure soon. I just may have to remove the Cab off and go from there. I don't think it's problematic to remove the cab.... Redirect heater hoses, disconnect power and remove the floor to cab bolts? just some quick thoughts. Oh, and somehow lift the Cab off the tractor. Always something. AW2024 Wells Cargo is the model I'm homing in on.
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast