New trailer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: New trailer

  1. Top | #1
    Jeeper4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    New trailer

    Finally got me a trailer to haul my lawn tractor around if need be. It's a tilt bed but got foldable ramps with it. All the sides are also removable if need be. I want to get a spare tire for it, and need to learn about maintenance of a trailer. Haven't hauled my tractor around with it yet but hauled some scrap to the scrapyard.

    Now I can bring home a JD garden tractor no problem lol
    Last edited by Jeeper4Life; 02-24-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    Gizmo2, fdmars, grnspot110 and 8 others like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    A trailer is one of those items that isnt needed daily by most but when its needed, its really needed! Maintenance is fairly low. Keep dust caps in place on the hubs (amazes me at how many trailers I see on the road missing a cap), keep wheel bearings packed in grease, and keep an eye out for the coupler getting loose and sloppy is pretty much it with the exception of the obvious such as tires and lights.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-24-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    Levi, OxPath, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  4. Top | #3
    Jeeper4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    A trailer is one of those items that isnt needed daily by most but when its needed, its really needed! Maintenance is fairly low. Keep dust caps in place on the hubs (amazes me at how many trailers I see on the road missing a cap), keep wheel bearings packed in grease, and keep an eye out for the coupler getting loose and sloppy is pretty much it with the exception of the obvious such as tires and lights.
    Are you talking about the stuff inside the coupler or the actual coupler getting loose on the tongue?
    Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Evergreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    740
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
    If the coupler was welded on, you don't have to worry about that... If it was bolted on, find someone with a welder and have them make it permanent! It is a pretty rare thing (in my experience) for the latching hardware inside the coupler to loosen up, but if you make it part of your yearly check of the bearings then you shouldn't have much to worry about.
    Levi, Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

  7. Top | #5
    Jeeper4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    If the coupler was welded on, you don't have to worry about that... If it was bolted on, find someone with a welder and have them make it permanent! It is a pretty rare thing (in my experience) for the latching hardware inside the coupler to loosen up, but if you make it part of your yearly check of the bearings then you shouldn't have much to worry about.
    Rock on, yeah the coupler is welded on and seems pretty solid. Thanks for all the tips guys!
    Drifterbike and ky_shawn like this.

  8. Top | #6
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    I was referring to the insides of the coupler. It has been my experience that some single axle trailers don't weigh much and a good portion of roads in our great nation SUCK so they really take a beating/banging around on the ball. With all the beating and banging around I have certainly had couplers get loose/sloppy when sitting on the ball. Had one get bad enough even with coupler in the latched position you could pick up the tongue of trailer and wiggle it around a bit and get it to pop right off the hitch.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-24-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  9. Top | #7
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    1,076
    Thanked 317 Times in 278 Posts
    Tha main thing with a trailer with that type of tire/wheel. KEEP the bearing greased. With the small wide tires they make so many more revulations per mile and faster than a normel size tire.
    Jeeper4Life and ky_shawn like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  10. Top | #8
    Jeeper4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    I was referring to the insides of the coupler. It has been my experience that some single axle trailers don't weigh much and a good portion of roads in our great nation SUCK so they really take a beating/banging around on the ball. With all the beating and banging around I have certainly had couplers get loose/sloppy when sitting on the ball. Had one get bad enough even with coupler in the latched position you could pick up the tongue of trailer and wiggle it around a bit and get it to pop right off the hitch.
    Yeah when it's empty, she does clang around a lot due to bumpy roads. I will make note of that man, thank you. That was something that crossed my mind.

  11. Top | #9
    Jeeper4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts


    I took little green out for a test run on the trailer for the first time. Figured I would go get a couple cheese burgers like tractor time with Tim. Everything went pretty good, though I think I'm gonna have to rethink a different way to strap it down, the back strap stayed tight but rode up under the seat and into the transmission shifter and deck adjuster lever.
    Tractor Tim and 356 like this.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeper4Life For This Useful Post:

    Tractor Tim(06-24-2018)

  13. Top | #10
    Radsbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:15 AM
    Location
    Napan,NB, Canada
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    When I haul my Garden Tractor I generally tie down the front axle, and the rear I tie down by the hitch. This has worked for me and normally stays tight bouncing down the road.
    Don

    2016 1025R w/Tektite cab
    h120 FEL 53"
    54" Blower
    weight box
    IMatch quick hitch
    3" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks,Differential Pedal Extension and Seat Spring Upgrade

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts