Like Tree67Likes

Thread: For all of those who know trucks better than me and can give advice

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 01:31 PM
    Bloomingdale, NJ which is in the north east part of NJ
    Thanks

For all of those who know trucks better than me and can give advice

I have a good friend who purchased a new leftover 2012 FX4 SuperCab F150 with the 5L V8, 4WD, 6.5' bed in 2013 Vin 1FTFX1EF2CFCxxxxx and it has the towing package. He had it Ziebarted and the bed lined and he has taken meticulous care of it and it only has 12,000 miles on it and he wants to sell it for $26K. He purchased it for $35K. It has P275/65R18 tires. I am interested in purchasing it. However I want to be able to tow my 990 which is 6500 lb with it. The axle ratio on this is the 3.55 according to the door sticker (19) which from the specifications states that it can only tow 7800 lbs. If it had the 3.73 axle ratio it could tow 9400 lbs. Here are my questions:

1. Can the axle ratio be changed? I am guessing that you have to do it both in the front and the back since it is a 4x4 if that is possible.
    2. Is there anything else that would need to be done in order to increase its towing capacity?
    3. If a change of the axle ratio is all that would need to be done is it best to take it to a dealer or is it possible to do oneself if you have the tools and the where with all to do these types of things?
    3. Also one last question what is a typical cost to change out the ring and pinion, again if it is possible?

I have attached the specs for the 2012 F150's and this gives the towing specifications.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Rob

second owner of '05' John Deere 990 CUT with the following:
    JD 300CX FEL
    JD 8B BH
    JD PF
    Artillian PF with 2" reciever hitch adapter
    JD BB
    SpeeCo 3PH Wood Splitter
    Also an independent SplitFire Wood splitter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Yes, it can be changed by changing ring and pinions in front and rear if 4wd.
    You would also sacrifice some fuel mileage going with a shorter gear.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    This is merely my opinion although I have no doubts on several getting all tore up over it. If you are just all about this particular truck and gotta have it then all I can say is been there, done that, and lord knows it's going to occur many more times through out my life, so that part I understand. The part of it that I personally would have issues with is giving 26k for a truck then going through the work and expense to gain 1600lbs of towing capacity. I don't see it as being worth it unless you have plans for other uses (such as off roading for example) which I doubt you to do with a truck highly maintained with few miles and a 26k price tag (just a guess on your character). Unless your towing the tractor OFTEN (in which case I would say you need more than a 1/2 ton) just leave the truck as is, turn the overdrive off while towing, and cruise on. I know states vary in what they inforce but NEVER have I been pulled over (and boy oh boy I have seen my share of blue lights behind me in various states while towing) and the officer went to the extent to check my towing capacity against my weight. If your in a commercial business then that's a different ballpark (again you need more than a 1/2 ton for towing imho) and I would want to play by the rules of the road however if your towing your tractor occasionally for a project here and there, based on the various trucks I have had, I doubt you will "feel" the difference in towing capicity. If your thinking in terms of doing what's "right" for the truck in regards of towing. I would hate to increase the rpm's on a engine that doesn't get stellar gas mileage to begin with by throwing lower gearing into it. I would rather have the mpg's than the occasional 1600lbs of additional towing capicity That's simply my .02 worth and I may be way off base in how you plan to use the truck. If you really like and want this truck and concerned about towing capacity to the extent your willing to change out gear ratios, have you considered leaving the truck as is and trading your trailer off for an aluminum trailer? You could make up a good portion of towing capacity by getting a lighter trailer. Of course if you already have an aluminum trailer that bit of advice is useless to you.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 02-24-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ky_shawn For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-24-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a 2010 F150 4x4 supercab 6.5 bed with the 5.4L 3V engine and 3.55 gears in 2011 with 30,000 miles for $24k. I tow my 2720 frequently for personal use, and it's around 3000lbs with the front end loader. I also tow a 3500lb travel trailer where the drag on the highway is a bigger deal than the weight. I think you'll be ok unless you are going to regularly tow over 6,000 lbs with it. How heavy is your trailer and what implements do you have on the 990 to make it 6500lbs?
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Jason

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-23-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks

Imo

Just saying, you would be safer and happier going with a 3/4 ton truck. bigger brakes, heavier suspension. I am sure that is a nice truck you are looking at but with my experience from working around pick-ups pulling trailers....we have several where I work...you would be better off in the long run... hope you get what makes YOU satisfied that's the main thing. Good Luck!!
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 4 others like this.
    GX255 with Ag tread tires, ..1025R, H120 Loader, 54D Autoconnect mmm, RT1149 ROTARY TILLER, BB5048 BOX BLADE, MIDDLE BUSTER, Ballest Box. KENS BOLT ON HOOKS, STEERING WHEEL KNOB. ,fluid filled tires,trailer hitch. more to come!!.Just call me Gordon.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robpm View Post
    I have a good friend who purchased a new leftover 2012 FX4 SuperCab F150 with the 5L V8, 4WD, 6.5' bed in 2013 Vin 1FTFX1EF2CFCxxxxx and it has the towing package. He had it Ziebarted and the bed lined and he has taken meticulous care of it and it only has 12,000 miles on it and he wants to sell it for $26K. He purchased it for $35K. It has P275/65R18 tires. I am interested in purchasing it. However I want to be able to tow my 990 which is 6500 lb with it. The axle ratio on this is the 3.55 according to the door sticker (19) which from the specifications states that it can only tow 7800 lbs. If it had the 3.73 axle ratio it could tow 9400 lbs. Here are my questions:

1. Can the axle ratio be changed? I am guessing that you have to do it both in the front and the back since it is a 4x4 if that is possible.
    2. Is there anything else that would need to be done in order to increase its towing capacity?
    3. If a change of the axle ratio is all that would need to be done is it best to take it to a dealer or is it possible to do oneself if you have the tools and the where with all to do these types of things?
    3. Also one last question what is a typical cost to change out the ring and pinion, again if it is possible?

I have attached the specs for the 2012 F150's and this gives the towing specifications.

Thanks for your help.

1. Yes, it can be changed, and as you stated must be done on both front and rear due to 4x4.
    2. LEGALLY, even changing the gear ratio will not increase your towing capacity. They will go by the VIN/Tags regardless of what modifications you have made. Specs out of the factory is what you are stuck with if it ever came to a legal battle.
    3. If you have to ask IF this can be done, you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself. It is possible, but things like backlash and preload are items that if not done correctly can destroy a differential in short order.
    4. Cost, quick guess about $200/diff for gears, plus all the seals etc. that you will need. And figure in about 4-6 hours labor per axle at your local rate, price tag will get upwards to 2k for you to get worse mileage all the time, and no legal advantage... IRL the higher gearset will help you start and accelerate more quickly while towing, nothing more.

My opinion, as was already stated. If you really like that pickup, and only tow a few times a year, just go for it.
    If you are towing the tractor often and far, you need a larger tow vehicle regardless. Trying to "fix" the one your friend has is only a bandaid, not a solution.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks
    When I went looking for my truck,, the FIRST spec I demanded was the 4.10 axle ratio.

I have been more than happy with the truck,, and fuel mileage is not that much different.

If you are going to tow over 5K pounds,, get a 4.10 axle. JMHO
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    When I went looking for my truck,, the FIRST spec I demanded was the 4.10 axle ratio.

I have been more than happy with the truck,, and fuel mileage is not that much different.

If you are going to tow over 5K pounds,, get a 4.10 axle. JMHO
    Or a diesel...
    I don't know if you can even get a 4.10 ratio in a Ford anymore... I think even the F450s went to a 3.73...
    More gears in the trans means a lower 1st so a better gear ratio can be used.
    Last edited by Cutty72; 02-24-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Or a diesel...
    I don't know if you can even get a 4.10 ratio in a Ford anymore... I think even the F450s went to a 3.73...
    More gears in the trans means a lower 1st so a better gear ratio can be used.
    I had a 1987 Suburban, that truck had 3.73 gears,,, but had 235X75-15 tires.
    It would pull anything,, mostly because of those tiny tires reduced the gear ratio.

My reasoning for going to 4.10 was the low tire was no longer available.
    It was a good decision.

If the transmission is doing all the gear reduction,, that is a LOT of torque on the driveshaft, etc,,

My driveshaft in the Silverado with 4.10 gears is enormous!!,, either 5 or 6 inches in diameter,,,
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I try not to get in truck arguments but it sounds to me that you need to go 3/4 ton truck, unless your only towing a short distance and not often. Differentials can be change but price of truck and changing Diffs your are into some money.....
    My 2cents
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast