Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: trailer no title

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks

trailer no title

Found a nice 16ft dual axle flat bed 7000lbs No title has vin for $1000 How hard is to get a home made title in Ny
    pcabe5 and Phil-T like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Don't know about NY but in TN you just take the bill of sale with the VIN# to the DMV to get a plate and they give you what you need.
    pcabe5 and Drifterbike like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

danmorea (02-27-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    Found a nice 16ft dual axle flat bed 7000lbs No title has vin for $1000 How hard is to get a home made title in Ny
    EASY-PEASY! Just go somewhere and get a weigh slip (empty trailer) Go to the DMV and fill out the registration paper as homemade. You can decide on how much you want to register it to carry. The higher the weight, the more it will cost you. I have never been checked for weight on my "home made" or any other trailer.
    If you decide not to do that - let me know where this trailer is please.
    pcabe5, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    SCUT 1025R FILB Purchased New August 2016

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phil-T For This Useful Post:

danmorea (02-27-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'm in the process of doing the same thing right now... But in Michigan.

Your local truck stop, junkyard, or feed mill will have a certified scale and be able to print you out a weigh slip.
    Take the weight slip and the bill of sale to your dmv.
    Pay the nice lady at the counter.
    Get your plate and registration.

It really is that easy... And if not, then it ought to be!

Some states require a DOT inspection for trailers; lights, brakes, etc. Typically this is only for trailers above a certain capacity.
    pcabe5, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Is this a home made trailer? You say it has a vin, that leads me to believe it is factory built. If it is factory built, why does it not have a title? I can understand a home built trailer not having a title, but a factory built one with out a title raises red flags to me. Is it stolen or have a lien on it. If you have not purchased it yet, take the vin to you DMV to check it out first.
    pcabe5, grnspot110, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Is this a home made trailer? You say it has a vin, that leads me to believe it is factory built. If it is factory built, why does it not have a title? I can understand a home built trailer not having a title, but a factory built one with out a title raises red flags to me. Is it stolen or have a lien on it. If you have not purchased it yet, take the vin to you DMV to check it out first.
    no is not home made lost title all i would get is a bill of sale but i think that will have to be reg home made
    pcabe5, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    no is not home made lost title all i would get is a bill of sale but i think that will have to be reg home made
    Well, it "could be" home made. If it were me, I would not hesitate to register it as home made. Dump the VIN ID plate and move on.

Other way - you know the fella that lost the registration? He can get a replacement if he has the VIN and it was registered to him.
    SCUT 1025R FILB Purchased New August 2016

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Lost titles

It's much easier for the current owner to get a replacement title than for you to get a replacement. Either the current owner is seriously lazy or there's something fishy.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, grnspot110, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    It's much easier for the current owner to get a replacement title than for you to get a replacement. Either the current owner is seriously lazy or there's something fishy.

Treefarmer
    His story is that he bought the trailer with a machine as a packege deal -he took the trailer just to bring home that machine from an estate sale Similar trailer with title cost up here 2500 at low end Wonder what would happen if trailer was stolen

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    His story is that he bought the trailer with a machine as a packege deal -he took the trailer just to bring home that machine from an estate sale Similar trailer with title cost up here 2500 at low end Wonder what would happen if trailer was stolen
    You could lose the trailer if it were discovered. You could be charged with receiving stolen property. If he has a loan on it you could be charged with party to the transfer of encumbered property. If you took the VIN plate off of it, hiding stolen property and a number of crimes for tampering with a VIN.
    If the owner found you before the cops you may also need some new teeth.

I wouldn't think you would get prison time, maybe just a couple months in jail. What do I know I'm just a retired cop?

Check the VIN with DOT.
    pcabe5, grnspot110, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

danmorea (02-27-2017)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast